What is your biological sex?
Female 49%  49%  [ 23 ]
Male 51%  51%  [ 24 ]
Total votes : 47

Feyokien
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2016, 4:25 pm

^ not to be insensitive to the LGBT community, it just that this war at its core seems to come down to biological parts. If someone wants to be make another poll for gender demographics that would be a good idea. I'd do it, but I'm not well versed in the many different genders there seems to be out there now and I'd rather not lump a bunch of people into an "other" catagory. All I know of are homo, hetero, bi, asex, and now an emerging understanding of trans. I've heard of other things like pan and poly but I don't know anything about them.

Drawyer
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2016, 12:28 am

Bumping to display three Drawyers in a row.

I'm a woman.

dcj123
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2016, 7:36 pm

I am a dude

xxZeromancerlovexx
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2016, 3:33 pm

Female and attracted only to men.

I refuse to call myself a woman because it makes me feel old. So I still call myself a girl despite being almost 23. Plus, I've gotten told I still look like a teen. The youngest someone ever guessed was 13, but one of my family members says I look 12. I'm also a teenager at heart. :)

-Down, The Birthday Massacre

Yigeren
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2016, 4:50 pm

I'm a woman, but I think this poll is not going to give accurate results. It is limited to the number of people willing to reply. One gender or another may be more likely to answer for various reasons.

That kind of information is really not useful from a statistical standpoint. The sample is not going to necessarily be representative of the true population of active WP members.

Feyokien
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2016, 6:17 pm

Yigeren wrote:
I'm a woman, but I think this poll is not going to give accurate results. It is limited to the number of people willing to reply. One gender or another may be more likely to answer for various reasons.

That kind of information is really not useful from a statistical standpoint. The sample is not going to necessarily be representative of the true population of active WP members.

Isn't that how real statistics work as well though? Samples are only made up of people willing to answer questions. You could say that about ALL of the polls on WP so why pick on mine? It's a simple poll that I've given up on at this point, I've made that second poll in GAD and that got a lot more results. Again why would anyone lie? I'm not interested in the cesspool argument that became the debate about the womens forum if this is what this is about. I've read individual posts from women that think they're a minority so I'm trying to offer some comfort. The polls seem to agree with what I've already loosely observed, the population of wrongplanet is pretty 50/50.

Yigeren
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2016, 6:27 pm

Feyokien wrote:
Yigeren wrote:

Isn't that how real statistics work as well though? Samples are only made up of people willing to answer questions. You could say that about ALL of the polls on WP so why pick on mine? It's a simple poll that I've given up on at this point, I've made that second poll in GAD and that got a lot more results. Again why would anyone lie? I'm not interested in the cesspool argument that became the debate about the womens forum if this is what this is about. I've read individual posts from women that think they're a minority so I'm trying to offer some comfort. The polls seem to agree with what I've already loosely observed, the population of wrongplanet is pretty 50/50.

Yeah, in statistics, polls are considered to be essentially useless because they are not random samples. They are only going to be completed by those willing to complete the poll, and those who actually have the opportunity to see the poll. It's not going to be representative of the true population.

I don't really care about the whole women's controversy. It doesn't bother me a bit to be a minority, if that is the case.

Other polls on WP are not usually meant to suggest that they are accurate representations of the population. They are usually just trying to get opinions. It's an entirely different matter.

The entire purpose of my post was to point out that the results of this poll prove nothing.

Feyokien
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2016, 8:11 pm

Yigeren wrote:
Feyokien wrote:
Yigeren wrote:

Yeah, in statistics, polls are considered to be essentially useless because they are not random samples. They are only going to be completed by those willing to complete the poll, and those who actually have the opportunity to see the poll. It's not going to be representative of the true population.

I don't really care about the whole women's controversy. It doesn't bother me a bit to be a minority, if that is the case.

Other polls on WP are not usually meant to suggest that they are accurate representations of the population. They are usually just trying to get opinions. It's an entirely different matter.

The entire purpose of my post was to point out that the results of this poll prove nothing.

Actually a good number of other polls do try to record demographics:

http://wrongplanet.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=279528
http://wrongplanet.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=305981
http://wrongplanet.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=302600
http://wrongplanet.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=305594
http://wrongplanet.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=288475

The list of examples goes on and on. Though not all implicitly state they're looking for demographics of some type, that is their end goal. At least mine isn't trying to make sweeping claims about society in general, I'm trying to discern the demographics of the maybe 100 regular members of the forum who make up a better part of the portion of people to answer the polls I've put forth. I'm more inclined to think it's closer to the truth than most polls. If you want to take up arms against my poll, then go after the one in GAD on the similar matter, link provided below. This is the pointless stats subforum, this is getting redundant.

http://wrongplanet.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=306131

AsahiPto17
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Feb 2016, 8:45 pm

10/9 f/m - pretty even so far, that's cool.

If a real random sample is important I suppose a script could crawl the site and count male/female users.

awkward facepalm
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2016, 9:00 pm

penises will win or maybe 50/50

LyraLuthTinu
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2016, 9:28 pm

Fnord wrote:
:roll: Okay ...

"Gyno-", a prefix meaning "of or pertaining to women".

"-tropic", a suffi meaning "drawn to".

"cis-", a prefix meaning "as born"

"male", synonymous with "man" or "boy" - the "XY" gamete-producing member of a bipartite sexual species.

Thus, "Gynotropic Cis-Male" means "Natural-born man [who is] attracted to women".

It avoids all the sexual jargonage (jargon + garbage) of our modern culture.

IMO "cis-male is modern culture jargonage. Nice word btw. I might go looking for places to use the word jargonage for a week or two...

Official diagnosis: Austism Spectrum Disorder Level One, without learning disability, without speech/language delay; Requiring Support

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2016, 9:55 pm

The amount of women/girls on here makes me believe that women with autism are underdiagnosed to a considerable extent.

There's definitely not four/five men to every woman here.

MannyBoo
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2016, 3:24 am

I am just a boy

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

27 Feb 2016, 7:19 pm

I'm a male

"Hear all, trust nothing"