Taking things literally on purpose to annoy people

Page 1 of 3 [ 48 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

DevilKisses
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2016, 12:06 pm

Unfortunate_Aspie_ wrote:
DevilKisses wrote:
I have blue hair so I'm sometimes asked if the drapes match the carpets. I know that they're asking about my hair down there. Instead I'll go off on a tangent about only having wood and laminate flooring in my house or blinds. Does anyone else take things literally on purpose like this?

Omg, that was hilarious- I had no idea why you were suddenly talking about drapes and curtains, but that's hilarious! Oh what a great response.
I think I have been asked this and replied similarly but not knowing what was going on.
Oh god that's funny!!
Is that supposed to be ... like sexual or attractive or something?

It's basically a question guys like to ask girls who are blonde or have unnatural hair colors. The drapes are the hair and the carpet in your hair down there. I think it's an inappropriate question, so I just take it literally and talk about stuff I know will bore them.

Pieplup
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2016, 12:10 pm

I'm not a expert on this, but Isn't that Sarcasm?

LaetiBlabla
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2016, 12:12 pm

I constantly understand things literally.

I learned second meanings but it is always literal sense coming first.

And what? I made it my "sense of humour ".
I naturally react upon literal sense, (then i think oops, maybe there is a second sense here...) and i show like "i was kidding" and laugh.

The treasure of making a sense of humour out of it, is that when i do not realize i understood literally (so wrong), people think i am joking because "it is my humour" and they laugh... when they laugh, then i know that i misunderstood, :)

(so i never do on purpose, but they think i do it on purpose and it is at a time funny and useful as explained)

Do you think it could "annoy" people? :oops:

Unfortunate_Aspie_
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2016, 12:13 pm

Ashariel wrote:
Haha I wouldn't have understood the 'drapes and carpets' thing, so yeah I would have taken that literally, and been utterly confused how we got onto the topic of home decor.

I don't do it purposely though. I just don't understand a lot of modern social references.

You are NOT alone in that. :lol: I never knew this was a thing!

Unfortunate_Aspie_
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2016, 12:17 pm

DevilKisses wrote:
DevilKisses wrote:
I have blue hair so I'm sometimes asked if the drapes match the carpets. I know that they're asking about my hair down there. Instead I'll go off on a tangent about only having wood and laminate flooring in my house or blinds. Does anyone else take things literally on purpose like this?

Omg, that was hilarious- I had no idea why you were suddenly talking about drapes and curtains, but that's hilarious! Oh what a great response.
I think I have been asked this and replied similarly but not knowing what was going on.
Oh god that's funny!!

It's basically a question guys like to ask girls who are blonde or have unnatural hair colors. The drapes are the hair and the carpet in your hair down there. I think it's an inappropriate question, so I just take it literally and talk about stuff I know will bore them.

Oh that's great! So smart!
However, why do they want to know? Is there a reason to ask other than being a jackass about it? Why ????
How do you think that's a totally normal okay thing to ask a person? 8O
Like I don't know you but tell me all about your hygiene practices...specifically XYZ.

I take things literally on purpose sometimes as a part of humor, but oh boy sexual anything riiiiiight over my head by about 10,000miles....

DevilKisses
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2016, 12:20 pm

DevilKisses wrote:
DevilKisses wrote:

Oh god that's funny!!

Oh that's great! So smart!
However, why do they want to know? Is there a reason to ask other than being a jackass about it? Why ????
How do you think that's a totally normal okay thing to ask a person? 8O
Like I don't know you but tell me all about your hygiene practices...specifically XYZ.

I take things literally on purpose sometimes as a part of humor, but oh boy sexual anything riiiiiight over my head by about 10,000miles....

I'm not sure why guys think sexual comments are okay. I guess they feel more okay about them when they're all cryptic about them.

Ashariel
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2016, 12:25 pm

I understand metaphors and sexual innuendos once they've been explained to me. So, if someone in the future asks me about my 'drapes and carpets', I will know what they're talking about.

What I will never understand is why anyone would think that's an appropriate question. (And we're supposedly the ones with bad social skills?)

Unfortunate_Aspie_
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2016, 12:30 pm

LaetiBlabla wrote:

I naturally react upon literal sense, (then i think oops, maybe there is a second sense here...) and i show like "i was kidding" and laugh.

The treasure of making a sense of humour out of it, is that when i do not realize i understood literally (so wrong), people think i am joking because "it is my humour" and they laugh... when they laugh, then i know that i misunderstood, :)

(so i never do on purpose, but they think i do it on purpose and it is at a time funny and useful as explained)

I have a friend that does this- I think it is hilarious. For example,
someone will say: "can you give me a hand"
then he will respond by clapping
then the other person responds "NO NOT THAT WAY!" and either laughs or gets annoyed it's a coin toss which way it will go- or rather it probably isn't and their are some kind of signals the other person is giving out that we aren't picking up on to tell whether they are in a joking mood or not BUT it seems 50/50 split to us.
Sometimes as a follow up he will clap at a different speed or in different ways. I think it is very funny. But the NT .... not so much sometimes.

Unfortunate_Aspie_
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2016, 12:34 pm

Ashariel wrote:
I understand metaphors and sexual innuendos once they've been explained to me. So, if someone in the future asks me about my 'drapes and carpets', I will know what they're talking about.

What I will never understand is why anyone would think that's an appropriate question. (And we're supposedly the ones with bad social skills?)

Haha, yes. I do too ... unless I forget about them because they seem utterly ridiculous to me. Or if it is really a sudden introduction into the conversation then..... I will be confused and maybe remember oh yes, sexual innuendo. :roll:
But yes, I find it quite rude! I would dislike a person that did that- especially because I feel like they are taking advantage of me or making fun of me in some way. Particularly because I don't understand.

LaetiBlabla
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2016, 1:01 pm

LaetiBlabla wrote:

then the other person responds "NO NOT THAT WAY!" and either laughs or gets annoyed it's a coin toss which way it will go- or rather it probably isn't and their are some kind of signals the other person is giving out that we aren't picking up on to tell whether they are in a joking mood or not BUT it seems 50/50 split to us.
Sometimes as a follow up he will clap at a different speed or in different ways. I think it is very funny. But the NT .... not so much sometimes.

It’s true that sometimes, they don’t all laugh… Maybe they take it as sarcasm! What could do to “save the conversation” in that case?

Now I’m really worried because I do that all the time (in French, everything has 3-4 meanings), so I understand everything wrong most of the time (at least at first)... Others laughing is my trick to “understand that I understood wrong”.

So when they are not laughing or making interrogative faces , any ideas how to save appearances? Because I don’t want to look “sarcastic”, I am not and do not want to. (I do not want to look autistic neither)

Last edited by LaetiBlabla on 15 Feb 2016, 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gkk7z
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

15 Feb 2016, 1:05 pm

As redrobin62 said, I do this quite frequently for comic effect. It usually happens when someone tries to use sarcasm with me. The problem is that there are many times where I only perceive sarcasm where there actually is none (or so I'm told after the event!) But coming up with very fast and literal responses to actual sarcastic statements can indeed be very funny.

@OP, your comment was absolute golddust!! !

Ashariel
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2016, 1:08 pm

gkk7z wrote:

Am I missing something? Was the 'wood and laminate flooring' comment a metaphor too?

gkk7z
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

15 Feb 2016, 1:15 pm

Ashariel wrote:
gkk7z wrote:

Am I missing something? Was the 'wood and laminate flooring' comment a metaphor too?

Yes. It has to do with the presence of hair on a certain area of the body, or lack theirof in this case. In the same way that some people prefer their homes to be 'carpet free'.

DevilKisses
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2016, 1:28 pm

gkk7z wrote:
Ashariel wrote:
gkk7z wrote:

Yes. It has to do with the presence of hair on a certain area of the body, or lack theirof in this case. In the same way that some people prefer their homes to be 'carpet free'.

In my case I'm talking about my actual house. My actual house does have laminate flooring because I don't like the acoustics of carpet. It makes everything seem dull. I really don't feel like disclosing my grooming habits to random guys.

Unfortunate_Aspie_
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2016, 1:31 pm

LaetiBlabla wrote:
LaetiBlabla wrote:

It’s true that sometimes, they don’t all laugh… Maybe they take it as sarcasm! What could do to “save the conversation” in that case?

Now I’m really worried because I do that all the time (in French, everything has 3-4 meanings), so I understand everything wrong most of the time (at least at first)... Others laughing is my trick to “understand that I understood wrong”.

So when they are not laughing or making interrogative faces , any ideas how to save appearances? Because I don’t want to look “sarcastic”, I am not and do not want to. (I do not want to look autistic neither)

Lol, I understand this dilemma. I mean it depends.... I don't exactly have a work around yet- sometimes the awkward moment just stands ....
Sometimes they do take it as sarcasm though.
That's a good trick though to use as a way of coming to a better social understanding.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2016, 1:39 pm

A former HFA online friend once told me these stories:

There was a friend who had three cats. She was talking to a guy online and he asked to see her p**** so she took a photo of her cat and showed it to him. He told her "No, your other p****" and she showed him a photo of her other cat and he goes again "No, your other p****, between your legs" so she put her third cat between her legs and took a photo and showed it to him and blocked him.

There was another friend who was talking to a guy online and he asked to see her chest. She took a photo of her chest (the one you store stuff in) and showed it to him and blocked him.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.