People with Aspergers aren't autistic but are on spectrum?

Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Wormy
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

20 Apr 2007, 3:50 am

I don't get it...are we or are we not autistic,what is the spectrum?
Someone please explain... :?

Lightning88
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2007, 4:09 am

I don't believe we're autistic either (although a lot of people do). I think it may depend on how high or low-functioning you are as an Aspie. I'm probably wrong, though. As for being on hte spectrum, I'm not exactly sure why, because like I said, I highly doubt we're autistic. I mean, compare one of the higher-functioning aspies (me, for instance) with a low-functioning autistic. There'd be a big difference.

Wormy
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

20 Apr 2007, 4:33 am

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbgUjmeC-4o[/youtube]

I think I relate more to this guy,except for the watching cartoons thing.
Does anime count as cartoons? :?

Wormy
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

20 Apr 2007, 4:34 am

And I don't have that music thing either,and the reading,I like to read.

Wormy
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

20 Apr 2007, 4:38 am

Lightning88 wrote:
I don't believe we're autistic either (although a lot of people do). I think it may depend on how high or low-functioning you are as an Aspie. I'm probably wrong, though. As for being on hte spectrum, I'm not exactly sure why, because like I said, I highly doubt we're autistic. I mean, compare one of the higher-functioning aspies (me, for instance) with a low-functioning autistic. There'd be a big difference.

I think all the people on WP are high-functioning...
I was diagnosed as high-functioning...

Wormy
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

20 Apr 2007, 4:42 am

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlOMimp9KDY[/youtube]

I think I can relate more to donald in here,execpt for the math stuff,I suck at math...
And isabelle,I guess I have a little bit of her,by taking things too literally... LOLZ
:lol:

Sopho
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2007, 4:51 am

Yeh I think it is related to high functioning / low functioning. As far as I know it is a form of autism, but less severe. I don't know though... someone will give you a better answer than this 8)

Cheerlessleader
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2007, 7:49 am

Urg I hate it how people put autism and asperger's in completely different categories! Asperger's is a disorder within the autistic spectrum, right? Sure most people who are diagnosed with asperger's are high-functioning, but there people on other parts of the spectrum who are no less high-functioning that we are! We should either put all the other autistic spectrum disorders in completely different categories to each other (and autism) or stop putting asperger's in a different category (even if it is the most common/most known about form of autism).
In conclusion, asperger's is within the autistic spectrum, so therefore we're autistic whether we like it or not!

Apostledanub
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Apr 2007, 2:03 pm

Alright, Asperger's in one sentence:

Asperger's is a 'part' of the austistic spectrum.

Sounds pretty clear to me.

Wormy
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

20 Apr 2007, 4:13 pm

Cheerlessleader wrote:
Urg I hate it how people put autism and asperger's in completely different categories! Asperger's is a disorder within the autistic spectrum, right? Sure most people who are diagnosed with asperger's are high-functioning, but there people on other parts of the spectrum who are no less high-functioning that we are! We should either put all the other autistic spectrum disorders in completely different categories to each other (and autism) or stop putting asperger's in a different category (even if it is the most common/most known about form of autism).
In conclusion, asperger's is within the autistic spectrum, so therefore we're autistic whether we like it or not!

Oh well...I read that somewhere don't get pissed at me!

Raph522
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2007, 4:42 pm

Well I AM DX'ed atypical autism but I think I am pretty close to aspergers in many ways, so I usually just consider them all the same thing :? It is all autism if its in the Pervasive Developmental Delay catagory, That includes aspergers, I think the problem is a lot of parents that see there kids as low funcioning think its seperate, but all funcioning levels have similaritys otherwise they wouldn't be in the same catagory. :? A lot of people WANT it to be considered seperate, but that doesn't mean it is.

Lightning88
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2007, 10:53 pm

Well, I've never once had a counselor or psychiatrist say that AS is part of autism. So I'm going to go by their beliefs.

21 Apr 2007, 3:04 am

My parents have never said I was autistic. They said I was Aspergers. I can see why they would say I'm not because I was very difficult to diagnose because I had hearing loss and I acted autistic in my early childhood after I had my hearing back and then I was in special ed where everyone had different rules so AS was the closest my psychiatrist could come to for me when I was 12. I could be on the spectrum or I could not be on the spectrum because my behavior could have been caused from being deaf and being in special ed for two years and messing up my brain and then the bullying I had from kids but aspie traits run in my family so it could just be a coincidence and I really am on the spectrum. Or I could be an NT with aspie traits just like my parents and my brother but I have more.

ghostgurl
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2007, 9:19 pm

I see AS and Autism as being on the same spectrum, but both AS and Autism could have spectrums of their own. Doctors said back when I was a kid I may have been "slightly autistic" but AS wasn't even in the DSM yet.

xboxboy247
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 Apr 2007, 9:52 pm

Technically, AS is a form of autism, but As doesn't have all the PDD's of normal autism.

Like discussing Film and Writing?
Go here! http://fwc.eamped.com/

Save The Internet! It's not going to save itself!
http://www.savetheinternet.com/

Babtor24
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

23 Apr 2007, 7:10 pm

Both Autism and Aspergers are part of the same spectrum, the Autistic Spectrum.

The main difference being that people with Asperger's/High Functioning Autism are higher on the IQ spectrum and don't have as severe developmental delays.

Needless to say they are all part of the Pervasive Developmental Disorder category.