Does you anyone feel normal people get more things?

Page 4 of 4 [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

neilson_wheels
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2016, 11:05 am

Fixed That For You.

boofle
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Feb 2016, 11:08 am

Understood! My bad cos I wasn't aiming for sarcasm and my apologies to androbots for my gaffe.

Thanks for the headsup, neilson_wheels :)

neilson_wheels
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2016, 11:11 am

You're welcome, you can call me NW, efficiency is everything.

boofle
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Feb 2016, 11:22 am

*phew* couldn't agree more 8O

Thank you NW, it's tedious enough on my fone without extra work.

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2016, 11:59 am

Thanks NW!

I don't like the FTFY because it degrades the original text and can lead to confusion about who said what. But no worries, boofle.

Aristophanes
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2016, 12:01 pm

Idealist wrote:
androbot01 wrote:
Idealist wrote:
androbot01 wrote:
Pretending that autistic people don't face unique challenges is unhealthy.

I agree, just as it's equally unhealthy to pretend that Neuraltypicals likewise don't face their own set of unique challenges.

The challenges faced by Neuraltypicals are not relevant to this forum. That they have them is a given.

And yet despite that irrelevancy, so many people are constantly beating down upon, and outright dehumanizing them.

Actually you still have yet to prove NTs have "unique" problems, being "typical" tends to make things much less unique. You're right NT's have problems, we all have problems-- these are not "unique", it's just life and everyone whether NT or not faces a variation of the same problems. What the autistics on this board are talking about are the actual "unique" problems that ONLY come with a form of disability.

I mean what, you think because I've got a "mental disorder" I get by without paying rent and taxes or something, like there's some government program to eliminate all a person's problems aside from their disability? Hate to burst the bubble, but I still get to deal with all the sh***y everyday life problems everyone else does, but I also get to deal with the sensory issues of autism too. And ya know what, I can deal with life's problems, hell I can even deal with autism problems, but what I can't deal with is people who have absolutely no experience with autism telling me that autistic symptoms don't have a measurable effect on my life's outcome.

What's the old saying: Don't let your disability define you. That's great, now let's add the real world addendum to that statement: Instead let other people define you by your disability. A single misstep in social interaction when you're hiding a social disorder is a mark, one people will dig at and dig at and dig at-- it doesn't matter what other qualities you show, the one social flaw will always stick out and always be noted. Or you could take the open and honest approach, which is actually worse because the animal instincts in people will sense weakness and treat you in kind. People do like the honest approach, but what they don't like doing is accepting that autism is merely a difference and not some sort of inferiority that needs to be stamped out and ridiculed.

Furthermore, this idea that people are "accepting" of difference is merely a rhetorical crock of s**t to make the masses feel good about themselves. The very nature of societies is woven in capitalism, basically economy by jungle law, which means people's core drive isn't in helping other people but actually in eliminating competition. Why would an NT give a s**t about an autistic person? I mean if you're a hiring manager then you're firmly in the middle of the pack, safe and secure, why take any risk on something you don't understand like an autistic person? The worst that's gonna happen is that autistic person (not just autistic, but anyone that's "other" really) is gonna die off and then there's more resources for the rest of us: that's firmly entrenched in the human subconscious , of course one doesn't openly say such a thing, but if you watch most people's ACTIONS they clearly demonstrate that line of thought.

nerdygirl
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2016, 12:42 pm

I know NOT ONE ADULT who doesn't have difficulty in one form or another.
They may have personal difficulties due to autism or a mood disorder or a significant illness or physical problem.
They may have a child with one of those.
They may be a single parent or a military spouse.
Or a combination of all!
Etc.

It is impossible to compare one's life to another person's. We all have to assess what we are given by life. Then we have to make the best of it. What can one achieve? Who knows? No one knows. All we can do is try our darndest to develop what we have and see how far we can get.

People fail as much (or more) than they succeed... We just never really talk about that. Successful people keep on trying. Success is not about what is achieved, but about moving forward. Did I make progress? Success!