Are poor motor skills characteristic of aspergers syndrome?

Page 3 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

germanium
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 Feb 2016, 4:35 pm

I have PDD-NOS & also have quite poor coordination. PDD-NOS is similar to aspergers but less intense characteristics in may cases but more intellectual difficulties. Aspergers typically have normal to above normal intellect whereas PDD-NOS typically range from normal downward but not profoundly challenged. I have some great strengths but too many problems to be able to fully utilize them. I do use them in my hobbies though which double as my special interest.

AllanLionChild
Butterfly
Butterfly

14 May 2018, 6:47 am

In terms of gross motor skills, it was more a thing for me when I was younger. I didn't learn to ride a bike until I was 7, and I couldn't do skip-running. The school I went to had a nurse, who specialized in balance and movement as well, so I went to therapy with her, and eventually learned it. But I've never experienced falling and tripping excessively etc.

Today however, it's more my fine motor skills that bug me. I often drop things out of the blue, and my handwriting is terrible. 90% of all things thrown at me, I couldn't catch to save my life.

Arganger
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2018, 7:29 am

I was also diagnosed with dyspraxia.
I couldn't tie my shoes until ten with the help of OT.
I bang things around too hard.
I run into stuff constantly.
I stub my toes constantly.
My hand writing looks like a six year old's, and is embarrassing. But hey, I can at least read it now.
I have moderate to severe fine motor delay.
I have mild gross motor delay.
If I get stressed my balance gets bad and I kinda look drunk.
I suck at catching balls.

I can type well now, but used to have major issues. I took a hobby of arguing online which really improved my typing.

Honestly, It would of been best for me to have more OT, but the hospital I was doing it at changed management and put a cap on how long you can do it.

I also have essential tremor now, which doesn't help at all.

Suspected; PTSD (Treated, as my counselor did notice), possible PCOS, PMDD, Learning disabilities (Sure of it, unknown what they are), possibly something wrong with immune system (Sick about as much as I'm not) Possible EDS- hyper mobility type (Will be getting tested, suggested by doctor) dysautonomia

drlaugh
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2018, 8:10 am

Things I wanted to be better at I put more time in.

I can't play baseball or basketball, but I can juggle a baseball and 2 basketballs.

I was terrible at harmonica when I started, but know can play at a semi professional level.

Again, table tennis was a disaster, but after 50 years of playing I am a descent basement player.

Recently I believe I heard of a professional baseball team signing someone on the spectrum. (haven't researched it)

Are there any out there that do sleight of hand magic and or just card flourishes such as fancy cuts and shuffles?