Are poor motor skills characteristic of aspergers syndrome?

Page 1 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2016, 9:57 pm

After a great deal of practice, I was able to juggle three balls for maybe ten seconds.

slw1990
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2016, 10:00 pm

Mine are pretty bad, but they seem much better than they use to be. I guess it depends on how often I do a task because I can be pretty fast with things that I do regularly. I've always been very slow when it comes to sports and I also tend to lose my balance.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2016, 10:02 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I don't think it has much to do with cognition. It has more to do with a sort of subtle dyspraxia, I believe.

I believe some people with Asperger's have a subtle disorder of muscle planning which is not necessarily diagnosable as a disorder by a neurologist.

I would say the more profound the autism, the more likely to also have coordination issue like dyspraxia.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2016, 10:18 pm

What does it mean when you can catch stuff that falls off a counter? Too clumsy to put it on the counter properly to begin with?

GiantHockeyFan
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2016, 10:25 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
If you were on the baseball team, even as a benchwarmer, you weren't the "last one picked." I guess you were a reserve--but you were on the team! You weren't quite a benchwarmer.

Only because if (your parents) paid, you got to play. It was still the lower of the two levels at my age. I remember my bully made the elite team and I was SO happy to get cut and sent down during the pre-season evaluation. At least my teammates were puzzled why such a skilled utility player was left to rot on the bench. I did play regularly during the season and thanks to my height and goalie glove made an excellent first basemen but the coach just let me sit while the team failed miserably and people openly asked why not use me as a pinch hitter since I could pound it.

Karma did get that coach though: he jumped to coach another area of the city because he thought they had the best team to fuel his ego. They took us on in the Provincials the next year (we were TERRIBLE: losing most games by 15+ runs and did not even have a qualified coach) and he started to get very cocky and arrogant about his team winning 28-3. He puts all his bench players in. In the final inning, their star player intentionally ran over our catcher, got ejected (thanks a rule introduced due to the physical abuse I took a few years prior), and they quickly realized they forgot to leave a player on the bench and had to forfeit! The look on their faces was absolutely priceless and it cost them a shot at the championship :lol: Did I mention I counted that coaches son made 8 errors himself in 3 games?

On the plus side, for the first time ever my softball team actually invited me back next season! Granted it was only rec, but I was leading off the team and played Centre Field to boot!

drlaugh
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2016, 10:34 pm

I can't hit a baseball or shoot hoops. I can juggle 2 baseballs and a basketball. ..and still play table tennis. ( ping pong)

Motivation and time has had me get better at certain thing.

NoName93
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 Feb 2016, 3:20 am

Lockheart wrote:
Yes, but not everyone with Asperger's or autism will have poor motor skills. Additionally, I suspect that some of us experience a natural improvement over the course of our lives. At least that's been the case for me. I was the typical clumsy Aspie kid, poorly coordinated with an odd running gait and the muscle strength of a wet lettuce. It was obvious I was so much worse at physical education than other children my age - one teacher accused me of not trying, even though I knew I was trying my little heart out - and that remained the case until I graduated from high school. After that I avoided most exercise until my late 20s because I associated it with humiliation and failure. Motivated by body pains and aches, I started exercise again in earnest three or four years ago. I can now run 3km and draw no more attention than any other jogger.

I reckon I would still be poor at team sports, but I have no wish to pursue those anyway because I'm not interested in the social aspect. I still have bad coordination whenever I do something new and it requires me to think about more than one thing at a time - but that goes for all things, not only sports or exercise. The point is, I have improved.

Bizarrely, I started walking at nine months. Go figure.

Me too I have similar expirience but now my motor skills improved and I work out every day but at school I wasn't athletic although I loved and wanted to participate on sports and if exists people with aspergers syndrome with good motorskills then bad motor skills is probably other disorder

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2016, 9:02 am

It seems like you could have become a pretty good ballplayer if they had cultivated your abilities. It's too bad you went through that crap.

In baseball, "ballplayer" is used in the generic sense. I've never heard of a football player being called a "ballplayer."

Do they really go crazy over the Blue Jays, like they do the Maple Leafs?

It's funny seeing "centre fielder." It's like us calling a hockey "defenceman" a "defenseman."

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2016, 9:07 am

Dr. Tony Attwoods remarks

Quote:
There is an impression of clumsiness in at least 60 per cent of children with Asperger’s syndrome, but several studies using specialized assessment procedures have indicated that specific expressions of movement disturbance occur in almost all children with Asperger’s syndrome.
When walking or running, the child’s coordination can be immature, and adults with Asperger’s syndrome may have a strange, sometimes idiosyncratic gait that lacks fluency and efficiency.
Some children with Asperger’s syndrome can be immature in the development of the ability to catch, throw and kick a ball.
Poorly planned movement and slower mental preparation time may be a more precise description than simply being clumsy.
Teachers and parents can become quite concerned about difficulties with handwriting.
The movement disturbance does not appear to affect some sporting activities such as swimming, using the trampoline, playing golf and horse riding.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

GiantHockeyFan
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2016, 9:12 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
It seems like you could have become a pretty good ballplayer if they had cultivated your abilities. It's too bad you went through that crap.

I think ties into my depression in general. It's not that I am a failure by any stretch, but I always think about what could have been had anyone believed in me. Maybe I could have been a successful baseball player or maybe I could have become a well paid manager if one person took me under their wing rather than cut me down for petty reasons I will never understand. Sure, I make a close to average salary, but I was always at the top of my class. In other words, the glass is half full but it is a titanic sized glass.

Quote:
Do they really go crazy over the Blue Jays, like they do the Maple Leafs?

Leafs fans are a special blend of crazy. There are everywhere and are always fun to joke around with. Having said that, the Blue Jays are suddenly VERY popular after last season and I was at a hockey game in October where during the intermissions, almost everyone was huddled around watching the Blue Jays! It's a great conversation starter with people when I wear my Jays shirt because it's my only 'normal' summer interest.

Quote:
It's funny seeing "centre fielder." It's like us calling a hockey "defenceman" a "defenseman."

Like metric and imperial, I use both interchangeably. I was taught one at home and the other at school.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2016, 9:25 am

LOL...nobody cultivated my ballplaying/sports abilities--because I had no ability as a ballplayer or sportsman!

The only thing I had was a fanatical interest in doing the best I can, and a hatred of losing which got me thrown out of a lot of places.

Do you play in any recreational leagues?

I was on a slow-pitch softball team a few years ago. I was strictly a reserve. I was way below the Mendoza line.

I believe there is a sort of subtle dyspraxia within some people with autism. Within others with autism, there is actually, at times, great physical ability, and the ability to do amazing things which involve balance.

darkphantomx1
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2016, 10:23 am

a lot of aspies arne't into sports to be honest. We're far more likely to not watch sports or play them. In fact it's so common, its surprising if one does like sports.

And i'm talking about high-functioning autistics. Low-functioning autistics are much more likely to be into sports.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2016, 10:26 am

I've been into sports since I was seven years old. I really got into watching baseball and football games then. And into statistics, too. I was a Mickey Mantle fan, and had a Mickey Mantle bat from Bat Day at Yankee Stadium.

GiantHockeyFan
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2016, 12:13 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Do you play in any recreational leagues?

I was on a slow-pitch softball team a few years ago. I was strictly a reserve. I was way below the Mendoza line.

I just play in a co-ed rec league now. Can't stand the lack of competition: I am both insanely fair and competitive and HATE losing. Like my cousin and brother, I have a very nasty temper and have broken more than one piece of equipment over the years. While I have never once gotten a penalty (I am VERY clean and fair) I have been accused of cheating/being a poor sport too many times to count and have no idea why but I digress. I do take it way too seriously but I always follow the rules to the letter.

It might sound like I am bragging a bit but let's not kid ourselves about my athletic abilities: I am absolutely terrible at sports that require frequently changing of speeds and/or directions. Soccer and Hockey (as a player) are two such examples. I got beaten badly by a group of short, petite, nerdy girls in Basketball once.

One thing I can say about a former friend (who is Capital O OCD and aspie-like) is that he was terrible at sports but was completely, utterly obsessed with baseball. Not only did he play multiple 162 game seasons in his videogame, but he would get irate if you pitched inside, bunted for a base hit, etc just like it was a real game. Quite comical to see! Probably why I can't relate to most Aspies though: I don't care about stereotypical Aspie interests no matter how hard I try.

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2016, 3:16 pm

Poor motor skills have been seen as common for aspies, and Gillberg had it as one of the criteria.
It sure holds true for me.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

NoName93
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 Feb 2016, 3:19 pm

darkphantomx1 wrote:
a lot of aspies arne't into sports to be honest. We're far more likely to not watch sports or play them. In fact it's so common, its surprising if one does like sports.

And i'm talking about high-functioning autistics. Low-functioning autistics are much more likely to be into sports.

I wanted to participate into sports but I wasn't good