Do you hate the constant updating of game systems?

Page 1 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

zeldapsychology
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2016, 9:31 am

Go to download games on 3DS update. Play a PS4 game NOPE UPDATE FIRST! I JUST WANT TO POP A GAME IN AND PLAY IT! SHEESH! Luckily the 3DS updates are barely 5min. Unlike PS4 30+ min. at times!

KyleTheGhost
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2016, 9:34 am

That's one of the reasons I never got into those new game systems after my old PlayStation 2 died. I don't want to constantly upgrade games and the system just to see the whole thing.

Earthbound
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2016, 10:00 am

I don't mind too much. It's hard for game makers to have a complete game right away these days.

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2016, 1:05 pm

Not remotely.

They patch for a reason: So that you're not stuck with bugs.

That's how it used to be, you know. If you had a bug in an older game? It was a bug that you were stuck with FOREVER. You were never going to be rid of it. And if you didnt like it, well... tough. Nothing you or anyone else could do. Some games could be outright ruined by bugs. And having SYSTEM glitches can be even worse...

Now, they can patch, to fix thing like this, or enable other things that were not possible before.

And I also look at it this way: if someone can put up with a computer... of ANY sort... they can probably deal with a game system patching itself. Because computers do it far, far more often... and usually more annoyingly... and often screw it up... or crash... or flip out...

Midvalley
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

26 Feb 2016, 10:08 pm

I understand why it's a thing, but I still despise it. It's a little more liveable with on the 3DS, but PS updates and computer ones just irritate the heck out of me.

I just want to get on with trying to enjoy myself. Updates tend run counter to that end. I can only hope technology advances across the board to where, you can simply have them download in the background while your getting on with having fun.

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2016, 10:41 pm

Midvalley wrote:
I understand why it's a thing, but I still despise it. It's a little more liveable with on the 3DS, but PS updates and computer ones just irritate the heck out of me.

I just want to get on with trying to enjoy myself. Updates tend run counter to that end. I can only hope technology advances across the board to where, you can simply have them download in the background while your getting on with having fun.

Well, it could be worse.

I remember the old days of PC gaming in particular. Loading times were loooooooooooong, most games loaded off of the actual disks (that's disk with a "k" at the end, as in, a floppy disk, not a CD), which was... slow, and made a variety of odd honking noises... and often they would do this, just as slowly, at every new level or area.

And then some games had... the dreaded code wheels. Or other similar things. Very crude and very annoying forms of copy protection. They came in the box, and if you lost them.... well, you werent playing that game again, because you wouldnt get past the security screen (no internet to get them from, either). You had to do it EVERY SINGLE TIME.

While I really like older games alot... and I particularly loved the DOS era... I dont miss code wheels.

That all though is one reason why I dont mind today's patches and such. Because I remember how it USED to be.

Though, for PC specifically, when it comes to games, I find that I dont need to worry about them at all lately... Steam seems to just do them before I even touch the game in question. Tends to do it FAST, too. I had a 250MB patch earlier download in like 8 seconds (what). I actually thought it had bugged out and was lying about this, but no, it was done properly.

This does though bring up the question of why console patching is... so much slower... I mean, if my screwball PC, running screwball Windows, can do 250 MB that freaking fast, why cant the consoles? The modem is clearly more than capable... but whatever. At least they WORK.

dcj123
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2016, 10:44 pm

This would be a non issue if developers would actually take more time and release games properly instead cash grabbing on incomplete games.

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2016, 11:03 pm

dcj123 wrote:
This would be a non issue if developers would actually take more time and release games properly instead cash grabbing on incomplete games.

It would happen either way.

It's nearly impossible to release a game in a bug free state. I have discovered this first-hand now. It's... even harder than I thought.

Midvalley
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

27 Feb 2016, 12:04 am

I do remember playing a floppy disk game or two at school, but I guess I was at the tail end of that era, and had most of my dealings with CDs.

Anyway, I think with something like a long loading screen, it's still arguable, it's not as long as some of the updates you may have to deal with. Equally, at least in those cases, it's leading to something you actually care about. Some of the updates you end up having to download are meaningless to you. So their existence is an inconvenience at best.

You have my complete agreement on the slowness of things like console updates though. They've had long enough to refine that process, it's about time they got up to par in speed with PCs.

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2016, 1:34 am

Yeah, honestly, I'd kinda like to know WHY the consoles are so much slower. It's gotten to the point where the gulf between them is HUGE.

I mean, I download like 10 gigs on Steam in just a few minutes. Like, 6? I have a good connection here.

But ask the PS4 to do the same, and it'll take 40 minutes. Why? Heck if I know...

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2016, 2:05 am

I don't mind on the 3DS, because the updates aren't very often, and they usually add nice things. But then there's things like Valve Software games, where the up-to-date game is very different from the original release.

But I really dislike when they release patches as paid DLC =|

Plushtrap04
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

27 Feb 2016, 1:17 pm

I some times hate it but hey it gives you new things at least

Plushtrap04
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

03 Jan 2017, 4:15 pm

Hi again!

Yes I do hate it because when any game consoles/games update our wifi gets crazy and causes problems so we can't connect. The updates/games still install though.

saxgeek
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2017, 5:54 pm

My GameCube never gets updates. Its software hasn't been patched since 2001! :D

saxgeek
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2017, 5:56 pm

Midvalley wrote:
I do remember playing a floppy disk game or two at school, but I guess I was at the tail end of that era, and had most of my dealings with CDs.

Anyway, I think with something like a long loading screen, it's still arguable, it's not as long as some of the updates you may have to deal with. Equally, at least in those cases, it's leading to something you actually care about. Some of the updates you end up having to download are meaningless to you. So their existence is an inconvenience at best.

You have my complete agreement on the slowness of things like console updates though. They've had long enough to refine that process, it's about time they got up to par in speed with PCs.

Oh, try updating Windows 7 after installing Service Pack 1. It often takes days to install updates.

Noca
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2017, 4:37 pm

The PS4 has it setup just right. It downloads and installs all the updates automatically while I am asleep and the PS4 is in low power mode. Game breaking bugs aren't forever. My internet is fast, but had it been slow as hell or my data cap ridiculously low, then yes, I would be annoyed.