Page 10 of 12 [ 189 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

30 Mar 2016, 9:45 am

neverknew wrote:
Have you read The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are by Alan Watts?

I read it about 35 years ago and thought it was profound. There are so many schools of thought out there. You can learn a little about a lot of them or delve into something that resonates with you.

Yes! The Book on the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are - one of the greatest book discoveries of my life. I read it a long time ago but the idea was totally novel, yet so obviously true. It's guided my decisions ever since.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2016, 10:15 am

NoahYates wrote:
The Holy Kabbalah (Dover Occult)
Waite, A. E.

I hear often that A. E. Waite has a very difficult language style.

On the other hand I was very impressed by Dion Fortune's Mystical Qabalah, mainly because she spoke very well to how I visualize information - ie. she took very abstract concepts and rendered a very nuts n' bolts granular model of the sephira and their functions. Gareth Knight's follow up to that - A Practical Guide to Qabalistic Symbolism - has a similar synopsis to MQ and also includes the paths and suggestions as to how one would conduct pathworkings on the tree just that for the main ten sephiroth I think DF handled that best.

Another thing, just purely suggestion whether it's something you're interested in or not, Robert Wang wrote a book called Qabalistic Tarot which is one of the most 'all in one place' accessible books I've seen in terms of covering the use of the tarot within the tree of life (ie. pips in the sephira, court on the planes, major trump on the paths, etc.) and how it works between really five historical decks with card-per-card at least for four of them.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

slave
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2016, 8:57 pm

neverknew wrote:
Have you read The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are by Alan Watts?

I read it about 35 years ago and thought it was profound. There are so many schools of thought out there. You can learn a little about a lot of them or delve into something that resonates with you.

Tao:The Watercourse Way is awesome too.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/196329.Tao

Dr. Watts was a truly great mind, an intellectual in the best meaning of the term.

.....and he didn't take himself too seriously :mrgreen:

NoahYates
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2016, 6:48 am

My recent acquisitions:

I feel like the question is contained withith these pages. The question who's answer is 42. XD

“In the same way that you see a flower in a field, it’s really the whole field that is flowering, because the flower couldn’t exist in that particular place without the special surroundings of the field; you only find flowers in surroundings that will support them. So in the same way, you only find human beings on a planet of this kind, with an atmosphere of this kind, with a temperature of this kind- supplied by a convenient neighboring star. And so, as the flower is a flowering of the field, I feel myself as a personing- a manning- a peopling of the whole universe. –In other words, I, like everything else in the universe, seem to be a center… a sort of vortex, at which the whole energy of the universe realizes itself- comes alive… an aperture through which the whole universe is conscious of itself. In other words, I go with it as a center to a circumference.”~ Alan Watts

Last edited by NoahYates on 01 Apr 2016, 7:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

01 Apr 2016, 6:54 am

What a great find!
I think your expectation re these books is true.
Please let me know how you go with Nag Hammadi - somehow it defied me. I tried several times.
Helpful hint re Finnegan's Wake - I got nowhere with it till I tried reading with an Irish accent. fwiw. :roll:

NoahYates
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2016, 6:59 am

Here in a few days I will have some time to go through Mabel's collection of occult books and polish them up/catalog them. Once I do, I will be sure to post a picture and a list of her books!!

“In the same way that you see a flower in a field, it’s really the whole field that is flowering, because the flower couldn’t exist in that particular place without the special surroundings of the field; you only find flowers in surroundings that will support them. So in the same way, you only find human beings on a planet of this kind, with an atmosphere of this kind, with a temperature of this kind- supplied by a convenient neighboring star. And so, as the flower is a flowering of the field, I feel myself as a personing- a manning- a peopling of the whole universe. –In other words, I, like everything else in the universe, seem to be a center… a sort of vortex, at which the whole energy of the universe realizes itself- comes alive… an aperture through which the whole universe is conscious of itself. In other words, I go with it as a center to a circumference.”~ Alan Watts

NoahYates
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2016, 7:05 am

With regard to the Wake... I am going to try to read it with the guys voice from the end of Pink Floyd's "Several Species of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together in a Cave and Grooving with a Pict"... seems to be the same dialect of Dublin-er.
https://youtu.be/T1tfUaBezFo?t=3m38s

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

01 Apr 2016, 10:44 am

That's amazing!

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2016, 11:14 am

These are some more you could research on Amazon and see if they're books you'd want:

Three Books of Occult Philosophy - HC Agrippa annotated by Donald Tyson
The Philosophy of Spiritual Activity - Rudolph Steiner
Initiation Into Hermetics - Franz Bardon
Magical Ritual Methods - William G. Gray
The Path of Alchemy - Mark Stavish
The Complete Golden Dawn 7th Edition - Israel Regardie and and John Michael Greer

A very well-written and condensed alternative to the Complete Golden Dawn:
By Names and Images: Bringing the Golden Dawn to Life - Peregrin Wildoak

Worth the re-emphasis if you decide to study tarot from the meditation side:
Qabalistic Tarot - Robert Wang

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

neverknew
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

01 Apr 2016, 5:04 pm

Wow. You have a lot of interesting reading. I hope you report back what you think during your adventure!

ND 169/200
NT 53/200
AQ 41

neverknew
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

01 Apr 2016, 5:09 pm

NoahYates wrote:
My recent acquisitions:

I feel like the question is contained withith these pages. The question who's answer is 42. XD

I put it on my to-read shelf. Thanks!

ND 169/200
NT 53/200
AQ 41

Deltaville
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2016, 5:14 am

I grew up with Norman Vincent Peale, although I find most of his works and ideas to be somewhat untenable in retrospect.

"Don't forget to floss." - Darkwing Duck

ZenDen
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2016, 10:08 pm

ZenDen wrote:
Misslizard wrote:
"If you meet the Buddha on the road,kill him."

Also the name of a good book. :)

But the phrase could have started somewhere like this:

"Inwardly and outwardley, do try to kill everything that comes in your way. If
the Buddha be in your way, kill the Buddha. If the Patriarchs be in your
way, kill the Patriarchs. If the Arahats be in your way, kill them. If your
father and mother be in the way, kill them too....That is the only path to
your liberation, your freedom."

(Hu Shi: "Chan Buddhism in China: It's History and Method." Attributed to
Yixuan (died 866).

ZenDen
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2016, 4:52 pm

All this talk about Alan Watts set me checking my small library to find only one book by Alan (????): "This Is It.". I quite enjoyed it.

Some others: "The Third Eye" by T. Lobsang Rampa. Not what I was expecting.

"Zen Without Zen Masters" by Camden Benares. People's Zen.

"Zen Teachings of Instantaneous Awakening" by Ch'an Master Hui Hai. A different
translation of this is available for free online.

will@rd
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2016, 5:59 pm

I remember that years ago, Jane Robert's books 'The Nature of Personal Reality,' Adventures in Consciousness,' and 'The Nature of the Psyche' really widened my comprehension of just how much of the 'reality' we experience is not real at all, in the sense that we believe it to be. Normally I would be highly skeptical of information purported to be transmitted through any sort of 'spirit guide' or higher angel, but the concepts outlined in great detail by the 'Seth' entity she was channeling were so complex and explained so much, so rationally, I still don't believe she was coming up with it on her own. In any case, that and Fritjof Capra's 'The Tao of Physics,' all mesh quite neatly within the matrix of the Kabbalistic Tree.

Last year I read Peter Tompkins' 'The Secret Life of Nature,' and while I found some of his ideas to be a bit dotty and far fetched (he seems to have believed the Arthur Conan Doyle fairy photographs were authentic), he did recount an incident in which a pair of Theosophists near the turn of the last century, had used Indian Yogic techniques to focus consciousness to the sub-microscopic level and even made drawings of living entities they encountered which match modern diagrams of the most basic elements of modern particle physics - quarks, gluons, leptons, etc. Tompkins also makes correspondences between quanta, String Theory and the Tree of Life.

He also recounts experiences with the shamanic hallucinogen ayahuasca, and shortly after his book, I came across Dr Rick Strassman's book 'DMT: The Spirit Molecule,' about his clinical experiments with the hormone DMT, the psychoactive ingredient in ayahuasca, which Strassman believes is released by the brain at death, to facilitate consciousness' exit from the physical shell. The experiences of his test subjects make for fascinating reading and having some personal experience with psilocybin, it makes me very intrigued, to say the least. :wink: I personally view this material world as a complex multi-player RPG - when our character "dies," we wake up back in the world of pure spirit consciousness, where we've actually been all along, rather like The Matrix, without the nefarious robots. But I digress...

NoahYates
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2016, 6:09 pm

I have both the Tao of Physics and The Spirit Molecule on my shelf, I have read the latter and not the former as of yet.