Page 12 of 12 [ 189 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2016, 8:21 pm

Something I might add - I saw you had some Colin Wilson. Last lecture Mark did he actually gave a pretty big round to Colin and his work.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

Deltaville
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2016, 11:21 pm

Hey naturalplastic, I am still waiting for you to refute my 'nonsense' fine tuning argument for lambda and the cosmic expansion velocity, as well as the gravitational constant fine tuning. Where is it? :roll:

"Don't forget to floss." - Darkwing Duck

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2016, 10:59 am

NoahYates wrote:
naturalplastic... why would you assume I believe in Mu? I found these books.

Like I said you're either or believer, or are someone who thinks that the subject is worth taking serious enough to wade through four thick books about.

ZenDen
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2016, 11:49 am

traven wrote:
Asperger's Syndrome and The Third Eye, oh well, sigh

seek the theosophical making of the "alien"
christian exceptionalism, white supremacy and continuing warlord-dynasties,
9/11 is very celebrated in ts too........
back to the future:
milleniums of holywars

The Next Great Work: The Enneads at Esalen, in the Hour of the Unexpected. Robert McDermott. 2007.

For their concluding session, the Enneads, nine wise elders, so-called both for their number and as a way of recollecting the nine sections of the six books of Plotinus, had once again traveled to Esalen Institute in Big Sur on the rugged California coast, the furthest reach of western civilization.

These nine brought to this third and concluding conference a lifetime of research and more theories than they would be able to express in the available time. They also brought a commitment to meet the goal of the seminar,the theme or message of the next panentheistic “great work” worthy to serve as the defining worldview for the 21st century. At the conclusion of their second meeting, in August 2006, the Enneads had unanimously agreed that none of the prominent worldviews “theism, atheism, pantheism, pragmatism, existentialism, materialistic secularism, or various religious orthodoxies” would be adequate to meet the challenges of the 21st century. They agreed that their meeting in August 2007 would have to articulate a shared vision of an evolving Earth community and a method by which such a vision could be extended and implemented.

The Enneads, gathered from around the world?from Europe, Tibet, and India, as well as from the United States, the host country, the youngest culture as well as the most powerful and influential.

It was unanimously understood, though unspoken, that because of its dominant position in the world, and because it is the battleground between an anachronistic Christian theism and a strident scientistic atheism, America is desperately in need of the panentheistic worldview these nine were striving to establish.
As they had at previous meetings, the Enneads began by speaking their names in chronological order. They included their defining works as a way of reminding themselves and each other of their place in cultures that helped to form them and to which they owed a special responsibility. This particularity of culture was perfectly complemented by their shared realization that they were each called upon to contribute a 21st century panentheistic worldview in service to the whole of humanity and the imperiled Earth.

J. W. von Goethe (1749-1832), Metamorphosis of Plants and Faust
G. W. F. Hegel (1770-1831), Phenomenology of Mind
William James (1842-1910), Varieties of Religious Experience and Essays in Radical Empiricism
Alfred North Whitehead (1859-1947), Process and Reality and Adventures of Ideas
Rudolf Steiner (1861-1925), An Outline of Esoteric Science
Sri Aurobindo (1872-1950), The Life Divine and Savitri: A Legend and a Symbol
Carl Gustav Jung (1875-1961), Memories, Dreams, and Reflections and Symbols of Transformation
Pierre Teilhard de Chardin, S.J. (1881-1955), The Human Phenomenon
His Holiness the Dalai Lama (1935-), Kalachakra Tantra: Rite of Initiation and The Universe in a Single Atom: The Convergence of Science and Spirituality

However aware the Enneads themselves might have been, as they set out to formulate the essential message of the first panentheistic great work in more than half a century (since Teilhard’s Human Phenomenon in 1955), they clearly were focused on the positive contributions of each. They regarded positivity as a defining characteristic of their work together and of the vision of the future they sought to bring into focus and to bequeath.

As they spoke with each other informally in the living room that had served as a site for many seminars of wise elders during the previous forty years, the Enneads knew that the world urgently needed the panentheistic vision that they had resolved to bring forth and to make available. They also knew that all nine diverse perspectives would need to find expression in the next great work, and that there would need to emerge one perspective, one vision, one big Idea as well as a compelling method for its creation and implementation.

Because eight of the nine Enneads who met at Esalen in August 2007 were no longer living on the Earth, many who had heard about this symposium assumed that it had not really taken place in time and space. The eight discarnate Enneads being who they are (not merely who they had been), the radical separation of matter and spirit, and of living and deceased, forcefully maintained by the dominant worldview, simply did not prevail. The Dalai Lama, the one Ennead who was still breathing earthly air, was well used to communicating with the so-called dead.

nothing to worry about ofcourse :roll: :roll:
no jesus here? as the' so-called dead' go?? oh it's a semite??

At the Esalen Institute in Big Sur, Devlin E. Deboree (the stand-in for Kesey in the novel) encounters Dr. Klaus Woofner, based on ‘Gestalt therapy’ psychiatrist Fritz Perls. In a hot tub, surrounded by his naked admirers, Perls scrawls a drawing of a divided box on the back of a check, the image representing physicist James Clerk Maxwell’s “demon in a box”—Maxwell’s attempt to undermine the Second Law of Thermodynamics. In the physicist’s thought experiment, a demon in the box sorts through hot and cold molecules, resisting entropy and imposing order. Perls uses this image as a symbol of our own consciousness, with the demon now trying to sort out right from wrong, good from bad. But, as with Maxwell’s demon, the one in our head is engaged on an impossible task, and exacts his revenge on us, his misguided ‘demon-master’.

Oooh no not the duct-tape!! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !
What is at stake is not just a popular adhesive product but a system of values. Duct tape is national shorthand for a job done almost right. It separates the technocratic repair elite—who will order the right part to fix their stove—from the common folk, who express their individuality and short attention span by slapping on a piece of silver tape.

‘‘It’s perfect for lazy guys that don’t know how to fix things the right way,’’ said Tim Nyberg, a co-author of the satiric ‘‘Jumbo Duct Tape Book’’ (Workman, 2000). ‘‘If you see anything fixed with duct tape,’’ he added, ‘‘it says the person didn’t know what he was doing.’‘

and a conclusion:
William James introduces a notion of receptivities of the moment. The societies' mutations from generation to generation are determined (directly or indirectly) mainly by the acts or examples of individuals whose genius was so adapted to the receptivities of the moment or whose accidental position of authority was so critical that they became ferments, initiators of movements, setters of precedent or fashion, centers of corruption, or destroyers of other persons, whose gifts, had they had free play, would have led society in another direction.

But what if there's been an oversight? :(

"Oooh no not the duct-tape!! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !" "Oooh no not the duct-tape!! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !" "Oooh no not the duct-tape!! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !"

What if the offered definition of "duct tape" was so limited that it only covered a very very small portion of the possible "legitimate" uses of duct tape (authors of books not withstanding). And what if this shortsightedness were then responsible for incorrect understandings of more complex issues?

I'd say: Unless the writer has explored and examined ALL (reasonably all that is) of the truly useful uses for "duct tape" perhaps withholding judgment on it's efficacy in other matters would be wise. :D

NoahYates
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2016, 12:24 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
NoahYates wrote:
naturalplastic... why would you assume I believe in Mu? I found these books.

Like I said you're either or believer, or are someone who thinks that the subject is worth taking serious enough to wade through four thick books about.

March 27s post on page 9 of this thread:
NoahYates wrote:
So guys (and gals)... yesterday was an incredible day. I had an experience that for me goes beyond coincidence. Let me just tell a little story. Since my AS diagnosis, I have been doing nothing except reading books / listening to/ watching videos about philosophy, spirituality, and mysticism. I have been engaged in discussions on the topic on this thread and elsewhere like never before. I have also ordered in the last month 12 books on philosophy, theology, and mysticism as part of my new passion for collecting books.

Yesterday I was poking around my grandparents barn, where our entire family has been storing our junk over the decades. Well... I was digging through a pile of our children's books and toys scattered around the barn loft covered in dusty dirt, mouse nests, dead insects, p*ss, and sh*t, when I began to uncover some very old books mixed in with the children's stories. I kid you not... the books I found consisted of a library of esoteric occult books!! ! ! These books belonged to my Dad's best friend from high school's grandmother. I will post a list (and maybe a picture) of them when I get them all sorted out and cleaned up. Seriously.... this is an untold treasure... especially considering I had never heard of these books/ideologies until I found these. If someone like my uncle had come along and decided to "clean out the barn" and burn these books or throw them away (as has been discussed in the past) it would have been a tragedy of epic proportions. There is something to me finding these books... especially given my "interest" in the occult and rare books as of late. Just for a taste of what I found... one of the first books I picked up was "A Treatise on Cosmic Fire." 8)

I rescued some antique books from a pile of trash in an old barn. I think the books are quite intriguing. I can't say I believe in any of this stuff (yet), because I am vastly ignorant currently. After I have read into them, I can evaluate them. Even if they are pure fiction, I will preserve them, out of respect for Mabel. I have to say that the Philosophy of Fire is unbelievably good thus far.

By the way, just as an aside, Mabel's son, my Dad's best friend's father, is among the few to receive perfect scores on both the SAT and ACT.

“In the same way that you see a flower in a field, it’s really the whole field that is flowering, because the flower couldn’t exist in that particular place without the special surroundings of the field; you only find flowers in surroundings that will support them. So in the same way, you only find human beings on a planet of this kind, with an atmosphere of this kind, with a temperature of this kind- supplied by a convenient neighboring star. And so, as the flower is a flowering of the field, I feel myself as a personing- a manning- a peopling of the whole universe. –In other words, I, like everything else in the universe, seem to be a center… a sort of vortex, at which the whole energy of the universe realizes itself- comes alive… an aperture through which the whole universe is conscious of itself. In other words, I go with it as a center to a circumference.”~ Alan Watts

AspE
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2016, 9:13 am

I recommend reading up on U.G. Krishnamurti.
http://www.well.com/~jct/

NoahYates
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2016, 9:36 am

Thank you! I will look into him!

“In the same way that you see a flower in a field, it’s really the whole field that is flowering, because the flower couldn’t exist in that particular place without the special surroundings of the field; you only find flowers in surroundings that will support them. So in the same way, you only find human beings on a planet of this kind, with an atmosphere of this kind, with a temperature of this kind- supplied by a convenient neighboring star. And so, as the flower is a flowering of the field, I feel myself as a personing- a manning- a peopling of the whole universe. –In other words, I, like everything else in the universe, seem to be a center… a sort of vortex, at which the whole energy of the universe realizes itself- comes alive… an aperture through which the whole universe is conscious of itself. In other words, I go with it as a center to a circumference.”~ Alan Watts

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2016, 3:39 pm

I had an interesting conversation recently with a girl who completed the Abramelin working/retreat. Apparently it worked well for her, a lot of odd number squares in the back of the Dehn book that seem to have odd uses but other than that KnC happened (ie. Knowledge and Conversation of the Holy Guardian Angel) and she's continuing to get a lot of very direct advice from the inner planes.

With that in mind I did grab a copy of the Dehn book, although a lot of what she described in terms of her HGA really telling her what to do - I've had brushes with mine and I don't think it's Her style. Odds are I'd just continue to get subtle nudges in certain directions or unusual flights of certainty or revelation if something needed a bit more immediate action. I'm also still not sure whether I'd want to go the Abramelin route or try something else like the Jayne Gibson Golden Dawn ritual, A.'.A.'.'s Liber Samekh, or something else along these lines. I have to wonder whether the flavor of the results might depend heavily on the particular means you use of getting there. For instance, on a lot of levels, I could really care less about controlling demons with a ring but it sounds like you get that with the Abramelin procedure whether you have any interest in it or not.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

BaalChatzaf
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2016, 9:29 pm

NoahYates wrote:
I am only one week into my diagnosis and my mind is on fire with connections. What do you all think about the multi-layered, multi-channel visual nature of our fractal thinking patterns possibly being the source of things like "the third eye".. "second sight"... "shaman's sickness".. "the mystic's noetic lightning"... "the philosopher's stone"... "mind reading"... "prognostication" etc, etc... My greatest passions other than gardening are philosophy, spirituality, mysticism, and ethnobotany... the combination of studying those topics in terms of the potential use of an aspie mind is just exhilarating me t the point of wanting to write a thesis immediately! Anyone else have ideas on this? :heart:

I don't visualize all that well. What I do is reduce what I deal with to abstract patterns and deal with the patterns mathematically and logically. I should have been a Vulcan.

\\// Live long and Prosper