Page 11 of 12 [ 189 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

NoahYates
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2016, 6:09 pm

I have both the Tao of Physics and The Spirit Molecule on my shelf, I have read the latter and not the former as of yet.

“In the same way that you see a flower in a field, it’s really the whole field that is flowering, because the flower couldn’t exist in that particular place without the special surroundings of the field; you only find flowers in surroundings that will support them. So in the same way, you only find human beings on a planet of this kind, with an atmosphere of this kind, with a temperature of this kind- supplied by a convenient neighboring star. And so, as the flower is a flowering of the field, I feel myself as a personing- a manning- a peopling of the whole universe. –In other words, I, like everything else in the universe, seem to be a center… a sort of vortex, at which the whole energy of the universe realizes itself- comes alive… an aperture through which the whole universe is conscious of itself. In other words, I go with it as a center to a circumference.”~ Alan Watts

ZenDen
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2016, 12:40 pm

The Tao of Physics was a real eye-opener, if I remember correctly. Think I still have a copy.

Moving toward outer influence creating inner understanding, my more recent books of interest have been (in no particular order):

"blink" by Malcolm Gladwell

"Multimind" by Robert Ornstein

"Rewire Your Brain for Love" by Marsha Lucas, PhD (Don't let the title fool you) and

"Conscious and Unconscious Programs in the Brain" (Psychobiology of Human Behavior) by Benjamin Kissin, M.D.

For me these texts help me/us understand how my/our brain uses outside influences to operate and how I/we can better control the workings of my/our mind(s). (Clumsy, what?)

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2016, 3:42 pm

One thing I'm crossing my fingers on - Mark Stavish is having a two day seminar in several months covering a combination of Dutch-Pennsylvanian folk magic and some degree of theurgy and evocation. I'm hoping my work life will pan out enough in that time that I can go.

As far as people who really set a high bar professionally with respect to their work in the mystical and magical paths he's gotten to be one of my favorite authors and speakers on the topic. His Youtube channel is really a treasure-trove of wisdom.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

Deltaville
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2016, 8:46 pm

AspE wrote:
Deltaville wrote:

We cannot compare another universe yes, but we know from particle physics that these fundamental forces must be properly balanced in order stabilize the atomic structure of any particle. It is important to recognize that the fine tuned constants are an independent force, with no scientific understanding of WHY they are set in the values that they are.

They are not an independent force, they are a description of a relationship.

Haven't seen this post until now. They are indeed forces that are ascribed as the laws of physics. Collectively, the weak and strong nuclear force, as well as gravity and the electromagnetic are called the 'four fundamental forces.' Remember, AspE, this is the kind of work I once did for a living. Not anymore.

"Don't forget to floss." - Darkwing Duck

ZenDen
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2016, 12:56 pm

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
One thing I'm crossing my fingers on - Mark Stavish is having a two day seminar in several months covering a combination of Dutch-Pennsylvanian folk magic and some degree of theurgy and evocation. I'm hoping my work life will pan out enough in that time that I can go.

As far as people who really set a high bar professionally with respect to their work in the mystical and magical paths he's gotten to be one of my favorite authors and speakers on the topic. His Youtube channel is really a treasure-trove of wisdom.

So I looked up Stavish in Amazon and looked at the most miserable reviews of the first book listed (concerning alchemy) and found people complaining about his procedures, knowledge, background, etc., none of which I expected. These were people who intended to follow arcane recipes and instructions for some predetermined outcome (which did not occur).

Previously I considered changing things to gold was only an ancient dream (my entirety of alchemy knowledge). If it wouldn't be too disruptive to ask: What am I missing?

Tried to watch some YouTube but floundered. Is there a clearly stated book for beginners that provides some real results (as opposed to just "I felt better") without having to invest heavily in expensive materials (I already own a nice Coors mortar and pestle).

Or is this a life long quest better left for younger people?

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2016, 6:43 pm

ZenDen wrote:
So I looked up Stavish in Amazon and looked at the most miserable reviews of the first book listed (concerning alchemy) and found people complaining about his procedures, knowledge, background, etc., none of which I expected. These were people who intended to follow arcane recipes and instructions for some predetermined outcome (which did not occur).

Previously I considered changing things to gold was only an ancient dream (my entirety of alchemy knowledge). If it wouldn't be too disruptive to ask: What am I missing?

It's a particularly brutal task for me to take you from 0 to 60 mph on that, particularly because - at least so far I find this with most people - the more things I tell someone that they haven't heard before the more everything I say will sound like a cloud of new age pseudohistory, so if I give you to little it sounds like an evasion and if I told you everything I could it would sound too different to be true.

I'd really recommend just reading the Wikipedia entry on alchemy first, just to get the philosophic background, before checking back in with much of anything else I say here.

If I were to give you any sort of basic tenet to start with - consider that Neoplatonism and Hermeticism are tantamount to the west's version of Hinduism and very closely mimicked the yogas (look at the last page of 'Do you believe in God' and see what I said before quoting myself - I responded to a bit about four elements, ethers, and alchemy where I explained this pretty well). When the Catholic church and later various protestants cracked down on everything that wasn't on their line of thought these streams of spiritual philosophy had to veil themselves. Alchemy was one such hideout (as was the ideologies and knowledge of the Lombard builders of Europe). For a long time Hermes Trismegistus, a name that apparently a lot of people aren't familiar with these days, was considered a contemporary of Moses of a long time - also Egypt was seen as the hotbed of a particularly advanced ancient knowledge. Consequently when Cosimo de Medici found the Corpus Hermeticum and other Hermetic texts in east Mediterranean monestaries it lit a fire across Europe in terms of inquiry. It was in the Renaissance where the ideas of alchemy, kabbalah, astrology, theurgy, and angelic/demonic invocation and evocation came to be so intertwined.

I wouldn't take it much past that. Really it would be way easier to explain the theories of Hermetic Qabalah and ceremonial magic in a context that an agnostic or atheist could understand than it is to explain alchemy. I'd say that most people actually in using the word alchemy these days are speaking of spiritual alchemy, ie. where one uses the alchemical symbolism as a set of tools for internal refinement and spiritual growth. Apparently there's backwash both ways, physical ingredients can be used for props to leverage internal change, ie. we start getting really abstract and cerebral quick - that and to tell you the truth I really don't know for sure what I have to say on whether physical alchemy, plant or mineral, is necessarily real. Apparently a lot of very sober and studious people would claim so, while that's persuasive on one level it has no relationship whatsoever to such a thing finding its way into a peer-reviewed journal and being tested and replicated. Then again, if there is so much internal that goes into it, the same results by a completely uninterested party might be impossible by that very virtue.

ZenDen wrote:
Tried to watch some YouTube but floundered. Is there a clearly stated book for beginners that provides some real results (as opposed to just "I felt better") without having to invest heavily in expensive materials (I already own a nice Coors mortar and pestle).

Or is this a life long quest better left for younger people?

You'd be considerably better off browsing his lectures in general (Institute of Hermetic Studies) on Youtube and seeing what he has to say in general. The Spiritus lecture series is great, so his Hermes series. All of these really are taken from recent seminars. As far as I know he's been studying Rosicrucian, Martinist, and Freemasonic philosophy since the 80's, started publishing lesson plan in the mid to late 90's (primarily a counselor by vocation), and his Youtube channel is only something that came up in the last year or so.

The problem with me trying to give you more detail than this - the kind of esotericism you're asking about, and the varieties that he teaches and lectures on, is such a broad field and one where unfortunately most people don't even have a basic grasp on what the words magic, mysticm, alchemy, etc. mean in their usage here. If you have some familiarity with the Hermetic Golden Dawn and what Israel Regardie was writing about you have at least something of a starting point. Even there unfortunately most people don't have the foggiest.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2016, 6:47 pm

Perhaps a good way to recap all of that as well - the core of the alchemical culture was about studying Greek and Egyptian metapysics more than trying to fudge the periodic table. People who tried turning physical lead into gold took the surface parlance too literally. You also had a lot of protoscientists in this manner who combined what would become modern chemistry with a lot of piety. All of this was happening concurrently under the same banner.

ZenDen
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2016, 11:24 am

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
Perhaps a good way to recap all of that as well - the core of the alchemical culture was about studying Greek and Egyptian metapysics more than trying to fudge the periodic table. People who tried turning physical lead into gold took the surface parlance too literally. You also had a lot of protoscientists in this manner who combined what would become modern chemistry with a lot of piety. All of this was happening concurrently under the same banner.

Thanks very much for this beginning information. This all sounds interesting enough that I'll wander down this path for awhile. Hope you don't mind if I come back to ask questions. :D

This looks like fun learning.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2016, 3:34 pm

ZenDen wrote:
Thanks very much for this beginning information. This all sounds interesting enough that I'll wander down this path for awhile. Hope you don't mind if I come back to ask questions. :D

This looks like fun learning.

At a minimum it's a lot of sociology and culture that people just aren't particularly aware of.

I mean a great example of this:

Sunday - sun, Monday - moon, Tuesday - Mars, Wednesday - Mercury, Thursday - Jupiter, Friday - Venus, Saturday - Saturn. The seven planets, seven 'Elohim', applied to seven days of the week. That might sound campy, Sunday and Saturday are kind of obvious in English, the weekdays are a bit easier if you think of what they are in Spanish - ie. Lunes, Martes, Miercoles, Jueves, and Viernes.

If one puts the names for the days of the week in a circle and traces out the Ptolemaic geocentric/astrological order of decent (ie. Saturn, Jupiter, Mars, Sun, Venus, Mercury, Moon) or vice a versa from either end they get a heptagram.

A lot of this goes to show just how much such people really were shakers and movers in the creation of our culture - from the days of the week to the layouts of cities like Washington DC, San Francisco, Paris, London, even the Vacan, as you had people all over the place from divine-rite monarchs and popes to continental and American Freemasons trying their hand at 'as above so below' in street patterns as a form of blessing.

NoahYates
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2016, 12:39 am

Mabel's Books Recovered From Barn Loft

Suspected to belong to Mabel's collection: 3 books

Colin Wilson
The Occult

Harry Allen Overstreet
The Mature Mind

George Ferguson
Signs and Symbols in Christian Art

Ex Libris Mabel Bessemer: 33 books

Alice Bailey
A Treatise on Cosmic Fire
Esoteric Healing

Reuben Swinburne Clymer
The Philosophy of Fire
The Rosicrucians,: their teachings

L. Taylor Hansen
He Walked the Americas

Rosetta E. Clarkson
Herbs- Their Culture and Uses

James Churchward
Cosmic Forces of Mu
The Sacred Symbols of Mu
The Children of Mu
The Lost Continent of Mu

Wm R Fix
Star Maps
Pyramid Odyssey

The World Publishing Company
The Lost Books of the Bible

Lord Clancarty Brinsley Le Poer Trench
Men Among Mankind

A. Powell Davies
The Meaning of the Dead Sea Scrolls

yigael yadin
The Message of the Scrolls

J.R. Brown
The Dead Sea Scrolls

Michel Peisel
The Lost World of Quintana Roo

Ignatius Donnelly
Atlantis: The Antediluvian World: Atlantean Megalithic Civilization

Albert Pike
Morals And Dogma Of The Ancient And Accepted Scottish Rite Of Freemasonry Prepared For The Supreme Council Of The Thirty-Third Degree, For The Southern Jurisdiction Of The United States

The New English Bible: With the Apocrypha (Oxford Study Edition)

A. R Fausset
Fausset's Bible Dictionary

Howell S. Vincent
Lighted Passage

R. A. Schwaller De Lubicz
The Temple in Man; The Secrets of Ancient Egypt

Harold T. Watkins
Mysteries of Ancient South America

Franklin Folsom
America's Ancient Treasures

Milton R. Hunter
Great Civilizations and the Book of Mormon; Archaeology and the Book of Mormon vol. III

George Lamsa
The Holy Bible from Ancient Eastern Manuscripts

Walter A Fairservis, Jr
Ancient Kingdoms of the Nile

Hans Fluck
Medicinal Plants

Rodolfo Benavides
Dramatic Prophecies of the Great Pyramid

Barry Fell
America B.C.

L. Taylor Hansen
The Ancient Atlantic

“In the same way that you see a flower in a field, it’s really the whole field that is flowering, because the flower couldn’t exist in that particular place without the special surroundings of the field; you only find flowers in surroundings that will support them. So in the same way, you only find human beings on a planet of this kind, with an atmosphere of this kind, with a temperature of this kind- supplied by a convenient neighboring star. And so, as the flower is a flowering of the field, I feel myself as a personing- a manning- a peopling of the whole universe. –In other words, I, like everything else in the universe, seem to be a center… a sort of vortex, at which the whole energy of the universe realizes itself- comes alive… an aperture through which the whole universe is conscious of itself. In other words, I go with it as a center to a circumference.”~ Alan Watts

NoahYates
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2016, 1:31 pm

ImageImage

Most of the books have marginal notes. However, this one is possibly signed and dedicated by the author!?

NoahYates
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2016, 4:43 am

So what do you all think? Cool aye? I am currently reading Clymer's The Philosophy of Fire, as Mabel had written explicitly inside the cover and under her Ex Libris tag that it is a very important book. Indeed, I am continually blown away by the synchronicity of my discovery of these books, given my project.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2016, 8:18 am

Oh gawd!

You're a believer in the lost continent of "Mu"!

Or at the very least you think that Mu is relevant enough to read several thick books about!

Lol!

For the rest of you readers: "Mu" is to the Pacific what Atlantis is to the Atlantic:a mythical lost continent that supposedly sank into the ocean in ancient times.Both supposedly had splendid high civilizations when the rest of the world was in the cave man days of the stone age.

Atlantis at least comes for a brief mention in an ancient text by Plato. The Mu notion is a purely modern late Victorian concoction that some 21st century New Agers still cling to alongside of clinging to Atlantis.

I went through a brief phase of reading about lost continents in high school so thats how I know about it.

Have heard of Ignatious Donnelly (the Victorian author who popularized Mu),but I am not familiar with James Churchward- the author of those books about Mu on your shelf.

traven
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2016, 12:09 pm

Asperger's Syndrome and The Third Eye, oh well, sigh

seek the theosophical making of the "alien"
christian exceptionalism, white supremacy and continuing warlord-dynasties,
9/11 is very celebrated in ts too........
back to the future:
milleniums of holywars

The Next Great Work: The Enneads at Esalen, in the Hour of the Unexpected. Robert McDermott. 2007.

For their concluding session, the Enneads, nine wise elders, so-called both for their number and as a way of recollecting the nine sections of the six books of Plotinus, had once again traveled to Esalen Institute in Big Sur on the rugged California coast, the furthest reach of western civilization.

These nine brought to this third and concluding conference a lifetime of research and more theories than they would be able to express in the available time. They also brought a commitment to meet the goal of the seminar,the theme or message of the next panentheistic “great work” worthy to serve as the defining worldview for the 21st century. At the conclusion of their second meeting, in August 2006, the Enneads had unanimously agreed that none of the prominent worldviews “theism, atheism, pantheism, pragmatism, existentialism, materialistic secularism, or various religious orthodoxies” would be adequate to meet the challenges of the 21st century. They agreed that their meeting in August 2007 would have to articulate a shared vision of an evolving Earth community and a method by which such a vision could be extended and implemented.

The Enneads, gathered from around the world?from Europe, Tibet, and India, as well as from the United States, the host country, the youngest culture as well as the most powerful and influential.

It was unanimously understood, though unspoken, that because of its dominant position in the world, and because it is the battleground between an anachronistic Christian theism and a strident scientistic atheism, America is desperately in need of the panentheistic worldview these nine were striving to establish.
As they had at previous meetings, the Enneads began by speaking their names in chronological order. They included their defining works as a way of reminding themselves and each other of their place in cultures that helped to form them and to which they owed a special responsibility. This particularity of culture was perfectly complemented by their shared realization that they were each called upon to contribute a 21st century panentheistic worldview in service to the whole of humanity and the imperiled Earth.

J. W. von Goethe (1749-1832), Metamorphosis of Plants and Faust
G. W. F. Hegel (1770-1831), Phenomenology of Mind
William James (1842-1910), Varieties of Religious Experience and Essays in Radical Empiricism
Alfred North Whitehead (1859-1947), Process and Reality and Adventures of Ideas
Rudolf Steiner (1861-1925), An Outline of Esoteric Science
Sri Aurobindo (1872-1950), The Life Divine and Savitri: A Legend and a Symbol
Carl Gustav Jung (1875-1961), Memories, Dreams, and Reflections and Symbols of Transformation
Pierre Teilhard de Chardin, S.J. (1881-1955), The Human Phenomenon
His Holiness the Dalai Lama (1935-), Kalachakra Tantra: Rite of Initiation and The Universe in a Single Atom: The Convergence of Science and Spirituality

However aware the Enneads themselves might have been, as they set out to formulate the essential message of the first panentheistic great work in more than half a century (since Teilhard’s Human Phenomenon in 1955), they clearly were focused on the positive contributions of each. They regarded positivity as a defining characteristic of their work together and of the vision of the future they sought to bring into focus and to bequeath.

As they spoke with each other informally in the living room that had served as a site for many seminars of wise elders during the previous forty years, the Enneads knew that the world urgently needed the panentheistic vision that they had resolved to bring forth and to make available. They also knew that all nine diverse perspectives would need to find expression in the next great work, and that there would need to emerge one perspective, one vision, one big Idea as well as a compelling method for its creation and implementation.

Because eight of the nine Enneads who met at Esalen in August 2007 were no longer living on the Earth, many who had heard about this symposium assumed that it had not really taken place in time and space. The eight discarnate Enneads being who they are (not merely who they had been), the radical separation of matter and spirit, and of living and deceased, forcefully maintained by the dominant worldview, simply did not prevail. The Dalai Lama, the one Ennead who was still breathing earthly air, was well used to communicating with the so-called dead.

nothing to worry about ofcourse :roll: :roll:
no jesus here? as the' so-called dead' go?? oh it's a semite??

At the Esalen Institute in Big Sur, Devlin E. Deboree (the stand-in for Kesey in the novel) encounters Dr. Klaus Woofner, based on ‘Gestalt therapy’ psychiatrist Fritz Perls. In a hot tub, surrounded by his naked admirers, Perls scrawls a drawing of a divided box on the back of a check, the image representing physicist James Clerk Maxwell’s “demon in a box”—Maxwell’s attempt to undermine the Second Law of Thermodynamics. In the physicist’s thought experiment, a demon in the box sorts through hot and cold molecules, resisting entropy and imposing order. Perls uses this image as a symbol of our own consciousness, with the demon now trying to sort out right from wrong, good from bad. But, as with Maxwell’s demon, the one in our head is engaged on an impossible task, and exacts his revenge on us, his misguided ‘demon-master’.

Oooh no not the duct-tape!! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !
What is at stake is not just a popular adhesive product but a system of values. Duct tape is national shorthand for a job done almost right. It separates the technocratic repair elite—who will order the right part to fix their stove—from the common folk, who express their individuality and short attention span by slapping on a piece of silver tape.

‘‘It’s perfect for lazy guys that don’t know how to fix things the right way,’’ said Tim Nyberg, a co-author of the satiric ‘‘Jumbo Duct Tape Book’’ (Workman, 2000). ‘‘If you see anything fixed with duct tape,’’ he added, ‘‘it says the person didn’t know what he was doing.’‘

and a conclusion:
William James introduces a notion of receptivities of the moment. The societies' mutations from generation to generation are determined (directly or indirectly) mainly by the acts or examples of individuals whose genius was so adapted to the receptivities of the moment or whose accidental position of authority was so critical that they became ferments, initiators of movements, setters of precedent or fashion, centers of corruption, or destroyers of other persons, whose gifts, had they had free play, would have led society in another direction.

NoahYates
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2016, 7:40 pm

naturalplastic... why would you assume I believe in Mu? I found these books.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2016, 8:21 pm

Something I might add - I saw you had some Colin Wilson. Last lecture Mark did he actually gave a pretty big round to Colin and his work.