Page 7 of 9 [ 134 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

100000fireflies
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2016, 3:29 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
Am all for them nominating Cruz because Cruz is your standard far right/religious right ideologue who cant possibly win a general election.

I hope you're right because cruz the ooze is alarmingly even worse than scamtorum was/is, and I didn't believe ANYBODY could be worse than that piece of work.

For exactly that reason (that he out Santorums Santorum) he is even less exportable a commodity outside of the GOP than is Santorum.

So..GO CRUZ!.

I don't know.. I think he might have a chance. Particularly with the backlash to trump, there would be votes of relief. I do find it interesting though that rubio is being pushed as the nominee. I personally think rubio is more electable than cruz and he's done a far better job at calling trump on his BS, so perhaps they too see that and think he could be the one.

100000fireflies
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2016, 3:31 pm

NoahYates wrote:
Without question the scariest opponent the GOP could run against us would be a Rubio-Kasich ticket.

That would be a strong combo. Even up against a clinton-sanders.

100000fireflies
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2016, 3:33 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I can't stand Cruz....but at least he won't fire his entire Cabinet on an impulse.

I can see it all now. Trump waking up on the wrong side of the bed. Today he is a reactionary conservative, so he'll fire all the liberals in the Cabinet. Tomorrow, he will feel all liberal and populist, and rehire the liberals, at reduced pay, of course.

You're always an optimist kraftie :)

100000fireflies
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2016, 3:49 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
We might have a Roosevelt-Taft type split. A death-knell for the Republicans.

Trump is not a well-liked character amongst the conservatives.

Not according to trump and thus according to trumpites.

If you watch his twitter - where the real trump slips out (at times before he is advised to delete it), according to him, *everyone* loves him. (Though of course anyone who doesn't is just part of "the elite" and is scared he might upset their mind control plans.) Any new voters are there to vote For him. High turnout - to vote For him. People from all sides are coming over to vote for him. They love him. Mexicans love him. Everyone loves him. He even showed a red trump map that implied he had won/will win every state.

And then trumpites repeat it throughout the web.

Rollo
Raven
Raven

07 Mar 2016, 4:12 pm

Jacoby wrote:
The National Review I would call an establishment mouthpiece so I understand how on the outside looking in it might appear that they speak as some kind of authority but what you might not understand is how wildly out of touch the political leadership of GOP is led astray by it's elitist donor class.

That's right as far as it goes. But what binds this donor class together besides their money and influence. Any ideas? Why do this donor class support globalism, antagonism against Russia and wars in the Middle East, and why can they not accept the blond, Germanic Donald Trump as one of them? Any ideas? I suppose even if you knew, there wouldn't be much point explaining it in any post on this forum because some moderator would just have a hissy fit and close the thread.

B19
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2016, 4:21 pm

Of course people can respond. Moderators act in accordance with the WP rules, written by Alex, and there is no rule against expressing and responding to political opinions and questions as long as this is done in accordance with the rules, eg no ad hominems, personal attacks, namecalling, baiting and so on.

Rollo
Raven
Raven

07 Mar 2016, 4:54 pm

As an actual fascist myself I probably have a different perspective on fascism than most people on this thread, and you can take it from me that Trump is not a fascist. I always find it rather ridiculous how often this label gets thrown around.

Fascism is not about invading other lands (or about isolationism for that matter), nor is it about "merging corporate and state interests" (as some people claim - good grief!). Fascism is simply about the rebirth of a particularistic nation state. Modern American conservative patriotism is not about particularist nationalism (let alone Fascism) since it is based on the idea that America is great because anyone in the world can become an American and succeed, and allusions to Christianity do not make American conservative patriotism any more fascist either since Christianity is a universalist religion. Therefore, for Trump to go one step further by proposing to build a wall to keep out illegals or even to impose a temporary moratorium on Muslim immigrants while still maintaining America as a multiracial, 'multicultural' liberal democracy is still not 'fascist' in the least.

Fugu
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2016, 5:21 pm

Rollo wrote:
As an actual fascist myself I probably have a different perspective on fascism than most people on this thread, and you can take it from me that Trump is not a fascist. I always find it rather ridiculous how often this label gets thrown around.
so fascism isn't a nationalist authoritarian ideology? is that what you're saying?

Rollo
Raven
Raven

07 Mar 2016, 5:32 pm

Fugu wrote:
Rollo wrote:
so fascism isn't a nationalist authoritarian ideology? is that what you're saying?

Christ, do I have to repeat myself? I said fascism is a revolutionary particularist nationalist ideology, and that by that definition Trump is not a fascist. There is nothing that Trump says or does that indicates he believes in particularist nationalism (as opposed to 'make multiculti multiracial America great again', which is not the same thing) or in overthrowing the existing order.

But you're right in as far as I didn't say anything about a link between fascism and authoritarianism - I would say any revolutionary particularist nationalist ideology would need to be in many ways more authoritarian than what we have at the moment in the liberal democracies.

Fugu
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2016, 8:59 pm

Rollo wrote:
Christ, do I have to repeat myself? I said fascism is a revolutionary particularist nationalist ideology, and that by that definition Trump is not a fascist. There is nothing that Trump says or does that indicates he believes in particularist nationalism (as opposed to 'make multiculti multiracial America great again', which is not the same thing) or in overthrowing the existing order.

But you're right in as far as I didn't say anything about a link between fascism and authoritarianism - I would say any revolutionary particularist nationalist ideology would need to be in many ways more authoritarian than what we have at the moment in the liberal democracies.
he(Trump) is proposing authoritarian means to secure the borders and is on record as being 'America First'. he does have a bunch of oddball policies that i guess can be chalked up to not being serious about politics before this, but he's nowhere near the left/libertarianism, so what should he be described as?

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2016, 9:04 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I would rather have Bill as the running-mate than Sanders.

I like Sanders and all--but he's pretty unelectable under the American political climate these days.

Sanders would do better in countries which have a Social-Democratic orientation.

Or perhaps even in Canada.

Here....no way.

actually, sanders polls better than clinton against any of the top republican contenders.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2016, 9:22 pm

By the time November comes along, after all the rhetoric, campaigning, etc., people tend to swing towards the center from both sides.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2016, 9:30 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
By the time November comes along, after all the rhetoric, campaigning, etc., people tend to swing towards the center from both sides.

will you make a prediction as to who will win?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2016, 9:33 pm

I get the feeling, after all is said and done, that Hillary will probably win.

Would I be happy? Not really.

But I would feel better about her than Trump--that's for sure.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2016, 9:35 pm

AFAIC, she's definitely the lesser of the two evils. but Bernie would be better.

Basso53
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2016, 2:08 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I would rather have Bill as the running-mate than Sanders.

As an exercise in the abstract? Because, under the Constitution, someone ineligible to run for President is also disqualified from running for VP. :wink:

You seem to have both Aspie and neurotypical traits