Does everyone with aspergers have sensory issues?

Page 2 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Soyer
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 Mar 2016, 8:23 am

sensory processing disorder doesn't always mean sensory "issues." Maybe you process sounds or vibrations different and that's why you like to play guitar loud. I stim with sounds too
I don't really have melt downs either but I do shut down fairly often.

Yigeren
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2016, 8:41 am

It's not a requirement for diagnosis. Mine are pretty severe however, compared to many people who have talked about theirs on WP.

Benthedemon007
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 Mar 2016, 12:00 pm

Quote:
Me too

What bands do you like? :skull:

I do have hyposensitivity to smells, but some can tick me off, and fruit tickles my throat weirdly. Is that a sensory issue?

BitterCoffee
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

04 Mar 2016, 12:36 pm

Meltdowns are a behavioral response to emotional and mental troubles. These troubles can build up over the days and appear to be because of nothing. It is not the physical meltdown where you cry and/or hit things per se it is more about you having a negative emotional response to things that a typical person would shrug off.
Meltdowns can come in a variety of forms especially as you age. When I was very young my meltdowns were me throwing, and breaking stuff. As I aged they progressed into me crying and going into extreme depression.
So what we define as meltdowns (hitting tables ect) is just one reaction to the cause of meltdowns so not hitting tables isn't a sign of not being on the spectrum.
Also I have Aspergers/autism and I have major sensory issues. Mostly they involves noise; it is hard to be around people because just scratching your head can make me want to slam my head into the wall. I have made holes in the walls.

ArielsSong
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2016, 5:57 pm

New here and preferring to jump straight in. Hi.

I would say if I have any, mine are mild. I can't write with chalk and the sound of two pieces of stone against each other really bothers me, but they're not things I come across much in day to day life. The only other thing is that I find pressure calming, in that (for example) I can't sleep without a duvet over me. That's about it, I think. I actually love loud noise - loud music, the TV up high.

Meltdown-wise, I don't believe I've ever had a stereotypical meltdown. If I feel overloaded by a situation then I tend to shut down, sort of like a robot - I feel fuzzy-headed and like my consciousness has left me and tend to just sit or stand still and feel very calm more than anything else. Not sure if that's anything like a meltdown, or the complete opposite.