Does everyone with aspergers have sensory issues?

Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Benthedemon007
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

03 Mar 2016, 7:37 am

I was diagnosed as an aspie, but am a little questioning for a bunch of reasons. One of them is that since I was really little, I have never had many sensory issues or meltdowns. Aside from hating cold water and most fruit, I'm fine. In fact, I play guitar and love metal, and like to crank it up. As for meltdowns, I don't really get them. I cry a lot less than most people, and when I do, I can recover very easily. When I was little I think I got them, and I might get them from time to time now. I'm 14 by the way.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2016, 8:58 am

My sensory issues have been pretty minor since around Kindergarten. Before then, they were so severe that I was classically autistic.

Pieplup
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2016, 10:05 am

Yes, most people with autism have Sensory issues ranging from Exteremly Mild(In my Case) to Extremely Severe (Classicly Autistic). In my Opinon they Always have Mild+ Sensory Issues but Mild is harder to notice.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2016, 10:46 am

I never really had that many sensory issues but yet I was still diagnosed with SPD because I didn't like touch unless I wanted it, I didn't like wet things on me like lotion, I didn't like certain clothing like tight clothing or jeans, I was real picky about my tops and I had to try everything on before getting them and it wasn't because of inconsistent sizes, I didn't like bare skin touching each other so I always dug into my arm pits, I didn't like bare feet in shoes and still don't.

I grew out of them and I still have things I don't like but I don't think they are impairments because they don't hold me back. Me not liking loose things around my bottom or not liking sweaty skin touching each other, or having to wear socks don't hold me back. I still get defensive to unexpected touch or unwanted touch but I don't see how that is really an impairment.

I was never a picky eater or had any food sensitivity and there was very few foods I didn't like so it was a struggle to eat them Lasagna was disgusting so I never ate it and it was struggle to have to eat it and a torture. Thank god I didn't feel that way with lot of foods or else that would have been a real impairment. Not liking a few things is fine because it doesn't hold you back and it was only the adults that caused the issue because you were not allowed to dislike a few foods.

I was never really sensitive to light either. Sure I don't like things shining in my face but that is lot of people. I do squint in the sun.

I think I was given a sensory issue label because it was a inconvenient to my parents, oh she had to take me clothes shopping and I had to try everything on, I didn't want to be touched and oh boy that must have been an inconvenient to my parents :roll:, and I only wanted to wear knit clothes and no jeans and oh boy that gave kids an excuse to tease me about it and it made me more different. I didn't like having lotion on my skin, oh that must have been so hard for my mother when putting it on me. That's how I feel about it. But she said it was affecting me like how I processed things in my head so she got me therapy for it.

My sensory issues were apparent when I was a toddler because they would rub some brush on me and they had to hold me down because I would act like my skin was burning. I have no clue what I was sensitive too that would make me need that sort of therapy.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Sabreclaw
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2016, 10:52 am

That I'm aware of, virtually none. However, there are several types of materials that hearing or touching them makes me feel... sick? I'm not quite sure how to describe it. It just repulses me, shakes me to my very core, like every single cell in my body just wants to throw up and scream at the same time.

I suppose that could be considered a sensory issue.

quelo
Butterfly
Butterfly

03 Mar 2016, 11:38 am

No extreme sensory issues. However, I'm pretty sensible to specially bright lights, like a very bright sun shining on mostly white surfaces (snow, white sand, white asphalt). After a while it gives me migraine, easy fix with sunglasses.

Jo_B1_Kenobi
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

03 Mar 2016, 3:38 pm

I think it varies from person to person. I have very strong sensory issues. I don't meltdown very often but in the last year I think it's been about nine times due to sensory issues and six times due to feeling blamed for something I didn't do (in reality what happened was that I felt like that because I misunderstood the whole communication by taking things too literally).

Diagnosed with Autism Spectrum Disorder (ICD10)

Basso53
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2016, 3:56 pm

I couldn't wear certain fabrics like wool when I was younger.

I don't have that problem now, and if I had any other sensory issues, I grew out of them, too.

You seem to have both Aspie and neurotypical traits

Riik
Toucan
Toucan

03 Mar 2016, 4:09 pm

I think sometimes it's hard to tell because you can't exactly see through the eyes of another person, and often you don't have someone watching you closely enough to tell you you've got sensory issues.

There are hints toward that sort of thing though, that may or may not indicate sensory issues. For instance, I'm very sensitive toward being touched and very ticklish, as well as not being able to wear certain types of clothing materials and styles because of discomfort. I also have issues when walking directly into sunlight when the sun is relatively low, as I see other people looking straight ahead as if there's no issue, and I'm there covering my eyes and staring at the ground XD. And then there's crowded places with a lot of noise that make it very hard to pick out individual sounds, even when someone's talking straight into my ear. Whilst I'm still to this day not sure how close to being an issue these things are, they were apparently enough to fulfil that section of my diagnosis.

A life without tea is a life not worth living.
Latest Aspie Quiz: AS - 151, NT - 38 / RAADS-R: 195 / AQ: 38

Idealist
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

03 Mar 2016, 4:17 pm

Taking a shower feels like standing on shards glass while four pairs of hands with needle fingers quickly pierce my body over and over again.

Sensitivity to natural light and flash photography can temporary cause flashes of bizarre shapes and colors to play over my eyes.

I have heightened eyesight, IEM, and slightly heightened hearing. The latter is especially troublesome.

Idealist wrote:
My Autism was cured/treated in late childhood (this makes me a walking, talking, contradiction to 90% of the Forum who all believe Autism is incurable)

TheAP
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2016, 4:36 pm

I don't have severe sensory issues. I am grossed out by some sights, and I am uncomfortable in my clothes a lot of the time, but I don't experience sensory overload or anything like that.

ZombieBrideXD
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2016, 7:07 pm

Sensory issues are required for a diagnoses and its a safe bet that EVERYONE on the spectrum has them but it can be hard to identify for a person on the spectrum if they themselves have sensory issues.

Growing up i didn't know i had sensory sensitivity, i KNEW the fire alarm hurt, i KNEW airplanes and the THX thing hurt too, and i knew that computer screens and fluorescent lights were too much but whenever i complained about it everyone said "oh its not that loud stop being so sensitive" so i ignored it and figured that EVERYONE felt pain when a car passed by. I thought EVERYONE hated to be touched but just went through it anyway.

Meltdowns are usually present if a autistic person doesn't have a good support at home or if they have a lot of changes in routine, a overstimulating environment or a hard time communicating.

DA: http://mephilesdark123.deviantart.com

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2016, 7:23 pm

Sabreclaw wrote:
That I'm aware of, virtually none. However, there are several types of materials that hearing or touching them makes me feel... sick? I'm not quite sure how to describe it. It just repulses me, shakes me to my very core, like every single cell in my body just wants to throw up and scream at the same time.

I suppose that could be considered a sensory issue.

Clothing sensitivities is a common autistic sensory sensitivity. A lot of autistic sensory sensitivities are not reconized as such for a few reasons. The Autistic assumes that everybody else also has the issue. Sensory sentivities are mistaken for social issues. Difficulty with eye contact often viewed as a social impairment is believed to be caused by sensory sensitivies. Anxiety in a crowd party type social situation could be caused by light, smell, touch sensitivities.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

TheAP
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2016, 7:37 pm

ZombieBrideXD wrote:
Sensory issues are required for a diagnoses and its a safe bet that EVERYONE on the spectrum has them but it can be hard to identify for a person on the spectrum if they themselves have sensory issues.

Sensory issues actually aren't technically required for a diagnosis, they are included in Category 2 of symptoms but you only have to have 2 out of 4 symptoms in that category.

ZombieBrideXD
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2016, 7:42 pm

TheAP wrote:
ZombieBrideXD wrote:

Sensory issues actually aren't technically required for a diagnosis, they are included in Category 2 of symptoms but you only have to have 2 out of 4 symptoms in that category.

Well from what i heard sensory issued do need to be a main symptom however i could be wrong. I know sensory issued can be varied and some are very sensitive or the opposite- sensory hypo sensitivity, a lack of response to sensory input.

DA: http://mephilesdark123.deviantart.com

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2016, 9:58 pm

Benthedemon007 wrote:
love metal, and like to crank it up.

Me too Image

Benthedemon007 wrote:
I'm 14 by the way.

This place is being overrun by teenagers :P