Don't you hate it when guys do this?

Page 1 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2016, 3:16 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I've never befriended a girl just to sleep with her.

When I became friends with a girl, though, sometimes I might start to like her "that way." Then the trouble would start. I would start not having my own mind. I would "yes" her to death. I used to run errands for a couple of them. After a while, though, it would wear on me...and I would move on.

Yeah that all seems pretty normal, I figured the OP was mostly talking about when a guy befriends a girl specifically because of sexual interest rather then a guy developing feelings for a female friend.

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2016, 3:25 pm

I loved it when a (certain) guy did that :heart:
I'm still loving it.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2016, 4:24 pm

I see it in the gym, there's that one guy member who helps every attractive girl in every move she does in a very noticeable way- we all noticed him - it's so lame - I mean, that's the instructor's job.

He's being doing it like for a year and still doesn't seem he got anywhere with this tactic.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2016, 4:48 pm

hurtloam wrote:
Oh come on! Seriously this must be trolling. This has only ever happened to one female friend of mine. The chap was a little odd. I wouldn't say that this is actually an issue outside of tropes on the internet.

Yeah, the image of the typical male portrayed is so comical, disgusting and pitful, ie. Nice Guy TM, Friend-zoning whiner, Eillot Rodger...wtf.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2016, 7:30 pm

That's why we're on WrongPlanet--we're a little odd! :wink:

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2016, 1:49 am

Those are disturbing kind of odds; I don't think it's even common among odds.

CryptoNerd
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

08 Mar 2016, 10:58 am

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
hurtloam wrote:
Oh come on! Seriously this must be trolling. This has only ever happened to one female friend of mine. The chap was a little odd. I wouldn't say that this is actually an issue outside of tropes on the internet.

Yeah, the image of the typical male portrayed is so comical, disgusting and pitful, ie. Nice Guy TM, Friend-zoning whiner, Eillot Rodger...wtf.

I'm not really talking about the Nice Guy™ archetype in the OP, though the archetype I'm referring to is sort of a variation of that. I'm talking about guys who are very experienced and very good at manipulating women into bed with them, through the right combination of friendliness, doing favors, and just not leaving their targets alone. The Nice Guy™ is usually someone with attachment issues who is simply too shy to ask out a girl because he doesn't want to accept that she might not be attracted to him, which I can completely sympathize with. I'm talking about something much worse.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2016, 11:35 am

Elliott Rodger is a murderer. That's all there is to it.

CryptoNerd
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

08 Mar 2016, 2:19 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Elliott Rodger is a murderer. That's all there is to it.

Correction: Elliott Roger was a murderer. He's dead now.

AR15000
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

08 Mar 2016, 2:22 pm

CryptoNerd wrote:
I've seen it over and over. A guy sees a woman he finds attractive, and then he starts following her around, talking to her and cracking jokes, and doing unsolicited favors for her, and he won't leave her alone until she gives up and says she'll be his girlfriend. And the woman sees him as a friend who is being genuinely nice to her. Sometimes this tactic works, maybe because she's insecure and thinks she needs a boyfriend, or because she's just tired of him following her around. I really hate this type of behavior, when guys make friends with women just so they can get in their pants. Whatever happened to friendship for the sake of friendship?

Why are you talking like you're female?

The reason why it's so difficult for straight men and women to be *just friends* is because of sexual tension. Honestly I prefer my platonic friends to be predominately male rather than female for this precise reason.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2016, 2:56 pm

I prefer my platonic friends to be predominately male too but not because of sexual tension really, but because males are more fun and tend to share more common interests with me.

I hated the times that I had to frequently enter/stop at shops every time when I am hanging out with a group of females (even if shopping wasn't the initial plan!) - I know not all girls like shopping but umm....I have yet to find those unicorns.

AR15000
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

08 Mar 2016, 3:58 pm

CryptoNerd wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
hurtloam wrote:

I'm not really talking about the Nice Guy™ archetype in the OP, though the archetype I'm referring to is sort of a variation of that. I'm talking about guys who are very experienced and very good at manipulating women into bed with them, through the right combination of friendliness, doing favors, and just not leaving their targets alone. The Nice Guy™ is usually someone with attachment issues who is simply too shy to ask out a girl because he doesn't want to accept that she might not be attracted to him, which I can completely sympathize with. I'm talking about something much worse.

Is it really such a shock to you that men also use manipulation to get what they want???
And FYI, friendliness, doing favors, and harassment really does NOT work when it comes to getting women to sleep with you! I did try this when I was in my late teens and it backfired. Men manipulate women by being charming, suave, and charismatic not by being a doormat.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2016, 6:22 pm

If I'm hanging out with a group of women, and they want to shop, I'll just go somewhere else, and meet them after they're finished shopping.

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2016, 10:51 pm

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
I prefer my platonic friends to be predominately male too but not because of sexual tension really, but because males are more fun and tend to share more common interests with me.

I hated the times that I had to frequently enter/stop at shops every time when I am hanging out with a group of females (even if shopping wasn't the initial plan!) - I know not all girls like shopping but umm....I have yet to find those unicorns.

I think mixed-gender groups are the best for socializing. I don't know if this happens as much where you live though. I know Lebanon isn't the same as the rest of the Arab Middle East. Just not sure how it compares to the US or western Europe.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2016, 2:06 am

Quote:
I think mixed-gender groups are the best for socializing.

In my experience....it's the same as hanging out with girls-only group, still not as fun as with all-guys group; in fact I was referring to a mixed group with a female majority (all 2 guys, all others girls).
Even in mixed groups, stopping at every shop and "let's take a photo here" every 5 min are inevitable; lol It wasn't like this before the fb/Instagram btw.

Quote:
I don't know if this happens as much where you live though. I know Lebanon isn't the same as the rest of the Arab Middle East. Just not sure how it compares to the US or western Europe.

To be fair, mixed-gender socialization is totally common in countries like Morocco, Tunisia, Algeria, Egypt(stricter) and pre-war Syria, certainly not in the Gulf states, I don't know much about the others.

CryptoNerd
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

10 Mar 2016, 12:26 pm

AR15000 wrote:
CryptoNerd wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
hurtloam wrote:

Is it really such a shock to you that men also use manipulation to get what they want???
And FYI, friendliness, doing favors, and harassment really does NOT work when it comes to getting women to sleep with you! I did try this when I was in my late teens and it backfired. Men manipulate women by being charming, suave, and charismatic not by being a doormat.

When did I say anything about being a doormat? You're just injecting your own biases into what I've said.