Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

SocOfAutism
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2016, 1:33 pm

I hate that show, not so much because of Sheldon, but just because the humor in general is too obvious for me. But sometimes I can't find the remote and end up watching it against my will.

Pay attention to Johnny Galecki's character. HE seems more like a real aspie to me. I've gone as far as to see if Galecki is autistic in real life, but I can't tell either way. I watch The Talk with Galecki's ex, Sarah Gilbert, on it. I'm pretty sure that she's on the spectrum, although I don't believe she's ever said that she is.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2016, 2:02 pm

The actor must be doing a very good job with his role if you wonder if he actually has it or not in real life.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Kuraudo777
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2016, 2:39 pm

^I'm a kitty, and I have Asperger's. :D

A memory is something that has to be consciously recalled, right? That's why sometimes it can be mistaken and a different thing. But it's different from a memory locked deep within your heart. Words aren't the only way to tell someone how you feel.” Tifa Lockheart, Final Fantasy VII

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2016, 2:48 pm

I don't like Sheldon--but I like the short guy in the glasses. He's seems Aspergian. He really tries to help the other "nerdy" characters.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2016, 2:49 pm

SocOfAutism wrote:
I hate that show, not so much because of Sheldon, but just because the humor in general is too obvious for me. But sometimes I can't find the remote and end up watching it against my will.

Pay attention to Johnny Galecki's character. HE seems more like a real aspie to me. I've gone as far as to see if Galecki is autistic in real life, but I can't tell either way. I watch The Talk with Galecki's ex, Sarah Gilbert, on it. I'm pretty sure that she's on the spectrum, although I don't believe she's ever said that she is.

Again, the word aspergers/autism is never used in the show.

But yes- Sheldon could be taken as an over the top cartoon version of aspergers.

Leonard is a very nuanced character who does act more like most real aspies. Galecki is probably just a good actor though.

zkydz
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2016, 2:59 pm

As I have learned more, I would agree that Leonard would be a better description of what I see as a high functioning autistic person. The constant fidgeting with his fingers (There on day one and still there), Limited socially, but still out there. Hardly looks anyone in the eyes or fleeting looks, but ok with close people. Wanting to please people...ok that's me projecting me onto the character. Able to grasp many concepts, but still lose others. Totally clueless about women as evidenced by his not recognizing that Sheldon's assistant was hitting on him.

Although, his social skills are light years beyond where mine are.

RAADS-R -- 213.3
FQ -- 18.7
EQ -- 13
Aspie Quiz -- 186 out of 200
AQ: 42
AQ-10: 8.8