Autism vs. Aspergers-what do you use?

Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

K_Kelly
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2016, 2:28 pm

I saw a paper that finally revealed the year of my diagnosis which was in 1995, but the official paper used the term "autism" instead of "aspergers". Now, I don't know if I'm even officially diagnosed with Aspergers, but I would guess I'm on the higher-functioning end of the spectrum, but I seemed to have picked up the term "aspergers" and it eventually stuck. I know some people can't stand it because of the inevitable "ass burgers" jokes, but I like aspergers a little better than autism. I still use autism sometimes, though.

Riik
Toucan
Toucan

09 Mar 2016, 2:38 pm

I've said it a lot on this site already but I don't like the term "Asperger Syndrome". It's part of the whole deal with ranking autism, which I'm personally against. As a spectrum with many different variables that can each have their own severities, I don't think it's right to put a value on certain peoples' problems, abilities and traits.

I do from time to time refer to AS, but only to clarify to those who are less informed about the spectrum.

A life without tea is a life not worth living.
Latest Aspie Quiz: AS - 151, NT - 38 / RAADS-R: 195 / AQ: 38

greenylynx
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

09 Mar 2016, 2:46 pm

I refer to myself as having Asperger's Syndrome, then any degree of the spectrum as Autism. I still consider myself to be Autistic despite preferring to tell others I have AS specifically if it comes up.

ArielsSong
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2016, 2:47 pm

I'm self-diagnosed, and from what I understand the terms are frequently used interchangeably.

When I was researching originally, I found the slight differences in the way the two words were presented online that led me towards Asperger's, so I think that this is primarily what I class myself as having. However, when I discussed it with my husband I did use the phrase (and I'm aware that this may offend but I hope it doesn't) "I believe I have autism. You know, just Asperger's, obviously a fairly low-level case".

I am not actively open about it, as self-diagnosis makes me feel uncomfortable making the claim outside of an understanding community, and also I have no 'new' friends recently and having worked hard to build friendships over the past 2 years I feel like it's a little late on to be announcing it. However, I have mentioned it to one friend (mother with a son on the spectrum) and as I felt comfortable addressing this with her I did use the phrase "I have autism", without clarification. She could see that it's not a 'severe' case, she didn't need me to point that out. I couldn't gauge her reaction to the statement, belief or disbelief or something else entirely, but the word 'autism' rolled off the tongue in the moment, so what I class myself as and what I say to other people are apparently two very different things.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2016, 2:48 pm

I use both.

I wouldn't have been diagnosed with Asperger's under the DSM IV criteria, because I had a speech delay.

My presentation is more Aspergian than anything else, though.

I am informally an Aspie, and more formally a Spectrumite.

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2016, 2:56 pm

Autism.
I do not have Aspergers in my diagnosis.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2016, 2:59 pm

In 1995, Asperger's had been a formal diagnosis under the DSM-IV for exactly one year. I'm not sure when Asperger's started to be inserted into the ICD.

TheAP
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2016, 3:07 pm

I use either.

JakeASD
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2016, 3:12 pm

When I believe it to be necessary, I divulge to others that I have been diagnosed with High-functioning autism. According to some, this is simply the new terminology for Asperger's syndrome, which is apparently now a defunct diagnosis. Conversely, however, others state that there is a slight distinction between the two. I read that those who are 'Aspies' do not have speech development delays, whereas those with HFA do.

If there is a difference between the two, I believe that aspies tend to be of higher intelligence. But this is founded simply on my own inability to excel at anything in school, thus it's a groundless thought.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2016, 3:27 pm

I use both, but my family forces me to use "autistic" whenever we have visitors. :roll:

metaldanielle
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2016, 3:33 pm

I use "Autism/Autistic" even though was professionally diagnosed with Asperger's when it was being used. I'm cool with "Aspie" tho.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2016, 3:43 pm

I prefer using the term Asperger's. I pronounce the "g" like a "j" to deal with the tiresome jokes about rear ends and hamburgers. Asperger's as basically a "dash" of autism. I don't want to be lumped together with the same group as severely autistic people. I know that sounds evil, but it's true. I once had to stay in a home where many people were severely autistic, and it was not a good place for an aspie.

Starfoxx
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2016, 4:37 pm

I dont tell ppl often but if i do i say autism spectrum disorder.

ZombieBrideXD
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2016, 5:02 pm

I was diagnosed with Aspergers but after it was changed to ASD i just use autism spectrum disorder.

DA: http://mephilesdark123.deviantart.com

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2016, 5:53 pm

I use Aspie, autistic or aspie-autistic

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2016, 5:56 pm

JakeASD wrote:
When I believe it to be necessary, I divulge to others that I have been diagnosed with High-functioning autism. According to some, this is simply the new terminology for Asperger's syndrome, which is apparently now a defunct diagnosis. Conversely, however, others state that there is a slight distinction between the two. I read that those who are 'Aspies' do not have speech development delays, whereas those with HFA do.

If there is a difference between the two, I believe that aspies tend to be of higher intelligence. But this is founded simply on my own inability to excel at anything in school, thus it's a groundless thought.

High Functioning Autism is not and never was an official diagnosis. Aspergers is no longer an official diagnosis in the DSM manual but remains one in the ICD manual. If I use qualifiers it is mild or severe more than functioning labels.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman