Autism vs. Aspergers-what do you use?

Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2016, 5:56 pm

JakeASD wrote:
When I believe it to be necessary, I divulge to others that I have been diagnosed with High-functioning autism. According to some, this is simply the new terminology for Asperger's syndrome, which is apparently now a defunct diagnosis. Conversely, however, others state that there is a slight distinction between the two. I read that those who are 'Aspies' do not have speech development delays, whereas those with HFA do.

If there is a difference between the two, I believe that aspies tend to be of higher intelligence. But this is founded simply on my own inability to excel at anything in school, thus it's a groundless thought.

High Functioning Autism is not and never was an official diagnosis. Aspergers is no longer an official diagnosis in the DSM manual but remains one in the ICD manual. If I use qualifiers it is mild or severe more than functioning labels.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

tetris
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2016, 6:23 pm

Autistic/autism as I was diagnosed with asd.

schots
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

09 Mar 2016, 8:24 pm

I don't really disclose it. If I did I think I would probably use the casual expression, "I'm a bit on the spectrum"

Austinfrom1995
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2016, 10:46 pm

I usually refer to myself as Autistic, because not everyone knows what "Aspie" means. Even worse when someone pronounces it as "ass-pie". :?

jimmyboy76453
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2016, 6:44 am

I prefer 'autistic.' I was diagnosed with ASD, under the DSM-V, I think. I think people understand autism better than Asperger's, even if they've heard of it. When I've said I have Asperger's or Autism Spectrum Disorder, people mostly play it down, as if it's a meaningless diagnosis and I don't have to struggle with anything, ever. That's not true. When I say I'm autistic, people seem more willing to understand that certain things are harder for me.
My husband says Asperger's, and says I'm not autistic, but I think he doesn't want to admit my autism to other people and Asperger's is easier for him.

macandpea
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

10 Mar 2016, 8:00 am

I say Aspergers. That's the terminology that my doctors have always used and continue to use. Most people seem to be familiar enough with the term as well

superbluevegetable
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 Mar 2016, 8:11 am

I prefer ASD, but among close friends I actually use the word "assburgers".

AsahiPto17
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

10 Mar 2016, 2:17 pm

I use the terms aspie and Asperger's a lot.