Snowy Owl

10 Mar 2016, 6:00 pm

http://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio ... s-tv-drama

sounds like this might be okay for those in UK, starts in a couple of weeks

Raised By Wolves
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Mar 2016, 5:35 pm

Just watched the first episode, I thought it was very good in lots of ways. Well-written and acted, realistic portrayal of family relationships and of the central character, a 5-year-old boy who is just being diagnosed. And a brilliant soundtrack to boot.

I'm looking forward to the rest of the series.

ChristianSmith
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

22 Mar 2016, 5:40 pm

Also tonight a program with Louis Theroux about autism

AQ:39
RAADS-R 172

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2016, 9:16 am

I watched the first episode. My mum watched it too, and we want to watch the rest of the episodes.

Admittedly some of it was like watching a TV soap like Emmedale, when the adults were standing about drinking and eating and talking, also I kept getting confused with who was who. It's like there's all these adults floating around, and a teenage daughter who's years older than the autistic boy.

But it's still good, and I've only seen the first episode so far, so I'll probably become more familiar with the characters after the second episode.

VDUB04
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

28 Mar 2016, 1:42 pm

Which part of the diagnosis are people referring to as quick? The wait for the assessment or the assessment itself. I know the wait is generally horrendously long in real life, though with my mum's persistence mine was only a year which is quick by general standards (the consultant said he had people on their books from 2012 at the time). My actually assessment though, aside from the lengthy pre assessment questionnaires, only took about 3 1/2 hours, maybe 4.

As for the drama, I thought it was good. I don't think they could ever get it 100% right because we're all so different and you wouldn't be able to please everyone but it's a starting point and I'm looking forward to the rest of the series.

Simmian7
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2016, 6:06 pm

will all the episodes be put up on youtube?

It's like someone's calling out to me. Writing it all down...it's like I'm calling back to them.
(quote from August Rush; but used as a reference to my writing)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
My ASD AQ score is 42
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
#DemandCartoonDiversity

VDUB04
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

30 Mar 2016, 3:10 pm

I don't think they'll be on Youtube, but they will be on BBC iplayer for a while. I don't know if you can access that outside the UK (I don't know where you are)

Chichikov
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2016, 3:16 pm

There's also "Employable Me" on BBC2 (right now, starts at 9 on Wednesday).

alcockell
Raven
Raven

07 Nov 2017, 4:16 pm

Series 2 started today (07/11/17, 2100, BBC1)

Raised By Wolves
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

07 Nov 2017, 5:58 pm

alcockell wrote:
Series 2 started today (07/11/17, 2100, BBC1)

was really good, I think they've got this as right as a TV drama could have done, the actor who plays Joe the autistic kid is superb but the whole thing is very well done

Eclipse247
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

21 Nov 2017, 7:46 am

I've seen the first 3 and it is great so far particularly when an autism professional arrives at the house to do an assessment and points out the bickering NT families dysfunctional behaviour patterns that are confusing for Joe (just as they are for any Aspie)! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2f6_Oh3YOE

The icing on the cake is that the assessor lady went to school with Joe's mother and was repeatedly bullied by her at school! The NT mother denies it happened (as they do). The bully mother cant connect with Joe while many others can. Its a great series that contrasts the NT and Aspie worlds well in my opinion.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2019, 2:00 am

Autism drama The A Word will be back for series three

Quote:
Much-loved family drama The A Word will be back for a third series – and filming is just about to kick off in Manchester and the Lake District.

Christopher Eccleston returns to the cast as Maurice Scott, with Morven Christie as Joe’s mum Alison and Lee Ingleby as Joe’s dad Paul. Max Vento plays Joe, and Molly Wright plays his sister Rebecca. Also back for series three are Pooky Quesnel (Louise), Greg McHugh (Eddie), and Leon Harrop (Ralph).

New faces include Broadchurch’s Julie Hesmondhalgh, as well as Sarah Gordy and David Gyasi.

“Two years on and things have changed for our A Word family,” the BBC reveals. “Joe is 10 and living in two places at once, processing the seismic change in his life through the filter of his autism"

An air date has yet to be confirmed.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman