Page 2 of 4 [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Yigeren
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2016, 5:20 am

Nocturnus wrote:
Do you ever eat fruit to reduce pain from arthritis or delayed onset muscle soreness? I have read that bromelain found in pineapples can be very anti-inflammatory due to the high content of Bromelain in them. What type of foods do you eat? Do you ever use apple cider vinegar or fermented foods?

I definitely believe that health and fitness is a personal journey for everyone and what works for one person might not work for someone else, how long have you been training for? It seems that you have progressed leaps and bounds on your journey.

In other news, I have run out of peanut butter and Cacao powder.

I love fruit. I just eat it because I like it :D I do eat fresh pineapple when I can get it on sale. I also love vegetables. I typically eat home cooked meals with many vegetables and whole grains. I do eat meat and fish.

I typically do not get severe muscle soreness unless I try a new exercise.

I have tried various diets. When I became ill, and they couldn't figure out what was wrong, I went to a naturopathic doctor. I tried many diets and supplements. Nothing made a difference. I've even done short-term (2-3 days) fasting because it's supposed to allow the body to recover from autoimmune inflammation. I don't know whether it helped, but I did lose weight.

I'm on a powerful medicine that reduces my inflammation. I have heard that some natural substances have similar, but weaker, properties to my meds, such as turmeric and green tea.

I'll be seeing an allergist to determine whether allergies are contributing to the inflammation. But it's fairly well controlled with my medication at the moment.

I want to ferment my own sauerkraut. I eat miso on occasion, but it has a high salt content. I have made kimchi. This summer I'll finally make my own sauerkraut.

I've only been seriously training a little more than a year. In the past I was always active, but not this fanatical about it.

I just bought some powdered peanut butter. Smoothie time is coming with the warmer weather. I can't really drink them when it's cold.

Nocturnus
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Mar 2016, 5:56 am

Fresh pineapple is great and I feel energized afterwards, I did try chopped pineapple and it didn't have the same benefits as the bromelain content isn't as strong. Do you have a Nutribullet? Vegetables are relatively cheap in the United Kingdom but berries and cherries can be expensive.

That does sound frustrating, sometimes I think an underlying health condition can force us to focus on being healthier. I have turmeric, ginger and bromelain every day and I definitely think they are good healing ailments.

I recently bought a book that you might find helpful, it is called Performance Paleo. I have wild Salmon and tuna for protein and brown rice, parsnips or potatoes for carbs most days because it is easy to prepare but some of the protein desserts look good.

Fermented foods can take a lot of preparation, do you ever use cultures for health? Have you tried milk kefir? I would like to try milk kefir but I do not drink cow's milk so I am looking for a good fermented alternative to milk kefir.

Why did you go for the powdered option? I assume that you would choose that to avoid the hydrogenated oils that is many of the supermarket peanut butter brands.

Yigeren
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2016, 1:48 pm

I have a basic blender. I find that it works pretty well for what I need. I'd like to get something better, but I can't afford it at the moment.

Most organic vegetables and fruits are ridiculously expensive here. Non-organic fruits are also very expensive where I live. I have read that it is still better to consume non-organic produce than not to consume it at all. There is a list of produce most likely to be contaminated by pesticides, and that which is least likely. It gives an idea what is important to buy as organic, and what doesn't matter as much.

I will look up the book. I have two others that I must prepare meals for in addition to myself, so I'm limited to things that we all are willing to eat.

I hate tuna. Salmon was identified as something I have a sensitivity to and mild immune response. Many other things were on the list.

I dislike milk and was identified as being sensitive to it so I avoid it. Yogurt seems to sometimes make me feel ill. So I'd likely avoid kefir. I have not tried any cultures.

I use powdered peanut butter to get the protein and flavor without the fat. It's also easier to mix. I am small and so cannot consume many calories. The regular peanut butter that I eat has no hydrogenated oils.

I like to make smoothies with almond milk, cocoa, peanut butter powder, hemp protein, other vegetarian proteins, fruit, etc. Depends on what I feel like having.

I feel that different diets work for different people. We all evolved eating different foods. The birth of agriculture in the fertile crescent was about 10,000 years ago. Those people migrated to Europe and mixed with the hunter-gatherers that had been there for about 40,000 years, if I remember correctly. All people tested of European ancestry had a mixture of three different stocks of people who migrated to Europe in their DNA. Some have more hunter-gatherer ancestry, and some more farmer ancestry. There is also a small amount of ancestry from those they call "ancient northern Eurasians."http://www.nature.com/news/ancient-european-genomes-reveal-jumbled-ancestry-1.14456

The point is, we have adapted to the agricultural diet over the past 10,000 years. Some are better adapted than others. The same goes for those of non-European ancestry. They would be best eating what their ancestors had eaten, because they have adapted to it. It actually doesn't take all that long to form genetic adaptations. Based on where my ancestors came from, and my general appearance, I'd say I have more ancestry from the ancient farmers than the hunter-gatherers.

So I think each individual should try various diets and perhaps get testing to decide what his/her body is adapted for, especially if of mixed ancestry. For instance, I tried a low-starch diet high in animal protein and vegetables (recommended for my type of arthritis) and it actually made me feel more ill.

Sorry that was really long :oops:

Nocturnus
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Mar 2016, 5:25 am

What state do you live in? I have heard from many Americans that organic vegetables and fruits are very expensive. You can buy organic home grown vegetables here from local market, it would be interesting to know the nutrient difference between the organic and non-organic versions of each vegetable. Could you send me a copy of this list?

That can be difficult, I live alone and I am not limited in the recipes I can cook. I know that when I lived with my family, it was definitely more difficult to follow a strict Paleo diet.

What type of test did you take to find out you had intolerances or allergies?

I never drink cow's milk, my favourite is Hazelnut milk but Almond or Oat milk can be good alternatives. Do you make your own using almonds or buy it from a health store? What vegetarian proteins do you eat? I know many people have beans but they can be bloating. I use cacao to flavour oats or for milkshakes, I haven't tried cocoa but cacao is very accessible in the United Kingdom.

I have heard that people that descended from meat eaters have difficulty adapting to a vegetarian diet, many factors would require to be taken into account to understand the needs of an individual. Family history, blood work, mitochondria and cellular functioning, environmental deprivation and genetic susceptibility to allergies can be strong factors in determining the right diet. I am not advocating that a Paleo diet can work for every single person, it is something that requires thorough analysis and research from an individual perspective.

Of course, there are no ancestral properties in many of the supermarket products, they are nutritionally poor but rich in addictive ingredients.

Have you seen Hungry for Change? I watched it on Netflix and I found it to be very informative. Do you recommend any books on Nutrigenomics?

Yigeren
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2016, 4:20 am

I live in the northeast. The area in which I live has many upper-middle-class and wealthier families. They probably are willing and able to pay the higher prices, which means that there is no incentive for the stores to offer cheaper organic produce. Much of the organic produce is actually in bad shape once it reaches the shelves of the supermarket.

Here are the lists that I had mentioned, but they don't specifically mention nutritional properties. I believe the main concern is the trace amounts of pesticides found in various non-organic foods.
http://www.ewg.org/foodnews/dirty_dozen_list.php
http://www.ewg.org/foodnews/clean_fifteen_list.php

I took a test called the igG ELISA finger stick test. It supposedly tests for "food sensitivities" but conventional doctors and holistic or naturopathic doctors cannot agree on whether it is useful at all in determining sensitivies to foods. I do know that certain foods on the list did make my pain worse, while others had no effect. I have not done enough research.

I intend to get traditional allergy testing done to see what foods I am actually allergic to, because I know of at least one that has given me hives.

I don't bother making my own almond milk. Too expensive and time-consuming. The types in the store have some fortified nutrients in them to make up for the lack of essential vitamins that are usually found in cow's milk.

I had bought a hemp-based protein powder for smoothies. I think most people hate the taste but I like it. I also bought a protein powder called Warrior Blend. It's really expensive in most places, but I liked it. I typically use a banana, almond milk, vegan protein powder, cocoa powder and/or peanut butter, vanilla extract, and stevia for my smoothies. I make other versions as well.

I have heard that there is a certain way to cook beans and legumes that reduces the indigestible starches, thus producing less gas and bloating. I have also read that the more one consumes beans and legumes, the less one is affected by the bloating and gas.

What frustrates me now is that fitness, medicine, and nutrition seems to still be taking a one-size-fits-all approach. Many studies have only been conducted with certain populations. Later on it is discovered that the findings only relate to that particular population. For instance, workout practices that work very well for men don't necessarily have the same effects for women. Or a particular race/ethnicity may be more likely to get certain diseases, or to be affected by environmental factors than those of other races/ethnicities.

And many times the sample size in the study was too small to be significant, or the methods were flawed, or the conclusions drawn were not logical given the findings.

I have not seen Hungry for Change. I will look for it on Netflix. I know of no books on nutrigenomics at the moment. I have drawn my conclusions from the studies that I have read. Some of my major interests are in anthropology, medicine, fitness/nutrition, and related fields. So I read articles or studies on anthropology, health, genetics, nutrition, and fitness fairly often. I connect the information and form my own opinions.

I do know that the Inuit people survived for thousands of years on essentially nothing but meat. Apparently their practice of eating raw organ meat allowed them to absorb nutrients from the animals that would normally not be retained in cooking. http://courses.washington.edu/bioa101/articles/article41.pdf

autismthinker21
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2016, 6:19 am

Slailie1 wrote:
Ahem... Woman here.... I have dated plenty of jerk men and found the only happiness i can manage to keep close without them lying or cheating on me or just plain lacking appreciation and desire... Is my Cat.

So hooray for platonic Cat Love thats unconditional for us Aspie Girls!

my cat was stolen. and ever since then. i gave up on pets. why did you date jerks? are you that low on the motorcycle. wow. sucks for you. oh wait,, women like jerks.

Nocturnus
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Mar 2016, 1:27 am

Yigeren wrote:
I live in the northeast. The area in which I live has many upper-middle-class and wealthier families. They probably are willing and able to pay the higher prices, which means that there is no incentive for the stores to offer cheaper organic produce. Much of the organic produce is actually in bad shape once it reaches the shelves of the supermarket.

Here are the lists that I had mentioned, but they don't specifically mention nutritional properties. I believe the main concern is the trace amounts of pesticides found in various non-organic foods.
http://www.ewg.org/foodnews/dirty_dozen_list.php
http://www.ewg.org/foodnews/clean_fifteen_list.php

I took a test called the igG ELISA finger stick test. It supposedly tests for "food sensitivities" but conventional doctors and holistic or naturopathic doctors cannot agree on whether it is useful at all in determining sensitivies to foods. I do know that certain foods on the list did make my pain worse, while others had no effect. I have not done enough research.

I intend to get traditional allergy testing done to see what foods I am actually allergic to, because I know of at least one that has given me hives.

I don't bother making my own almond milk. Too expensive and time-consuming. The types in the store have some fortified nutrients in them to make up for the lack of essential vitamins that are usually found in cow's milk.

I had bought a hemp-based protein powder for smoothies. I think most people hate the taste but I like it. I also bought a protein powder called Warrior Blend. It's really expensive in most places, but I liked it. I typically use a banana, almond milk, vegan protein powder, cocoa powder and/or peanut butter, vanilla extract, and stevia for my smoothies. I make other versions as well.

I have heard that there is a certain way to cook beans and legumes that reduces the indigestible starches, thus producing less gas and bloating. I have also read that the more one consumes beans and legumes, the less one is affected by the bloating and gas.

What frustrates me now is that fitness, medicine, and nutrition seems to still be taking a one-size-fits-all approach. Many studies have only been conducted with certain populations. Later on it is discovered that the findings only relate to that particular population. For instance, workout practices that work very well for men don't necessarily have the same effects for women. Or a particular race/ethnicity may be more likely to get certain diseases, or to be affected by environmental factors than those of other races/ethnicities.

And many times the sample size in the study was too small to be significant, or the methods were flawed, or the conclusions drawn were not logical given the findings.

I have not seen Hungry for Change. I will look for it on Netflix. I know of no books on nutrigenomics at the moment. I have drawn my conclusions from the studies that I have read. Some of my major interests are in anthropology, medicine, fitness/nutrition, and related fields. So I read articles or studies on anthropology, health, genetics, nutrition, and fitness fairly often. I connect the information and form my own opinions.

I do know that the Inuit people survived for thousands of years on essentially nothing but meat. Apparently their practice of eating raw organ meat allowed them to absorb nutrients from the animals that would normally not be retained in cooking. http://courses.washington.edu/bioa101/articles/article41.pdf

I will research this later today, I have been busy the past few days but I appreciate the informative response.

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2016, 7:02 pm

There are no strings on me! :mrgreen:

No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList

Yigeren
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2016, 7:07 pm

I may be single again myself in not too long. Not exactly sure how I feel about it.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2016, 7:30 pm

It'll get you away from a bad situation.

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2016, 9:10 pm

No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList

mrrhq
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 Mar 2016, 9:40 pm

I think my largely robotic, yet cognitive brain prefers to be single just for the very reason that I haven't been interested in meeting anybody recently.

How about that? Ahaha.

Debian is the Universal Operating System.

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2016, 8:59 pm

Relationships are a waste of time and never last forever, you waste all your emotions on someone who wont be there forever or care for those feelings back, relationships end at one point or another, it is inevitable. There is no point when it will end and your heart being broken.

lorkaan
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

26 Mar 2016, 11:52 pm

Slailie1 wrote:
Ahem... Woman here.... I have dated plenty of jerk men and found the only happiness i can manage to keep close without them lying or cheating on me or just plain lacking appreciation and desire... Is my Cat.

So hooray for platonic Cat Love thats unconditional for us Aspie Girls!

I believe you are describing a dog, not a cat. lol

Dogs love unconditionally, cat love on the condition that you be a slave to the meow lol

Nocturnus
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Mar 2016, 1:03 am

AspieOtaku wrote:
Relationships are a waste of time and never last forever, you waste all your emotions on someone who wont be there forever or care for those feelings back, relationships end at one point or another, it is inevitable. There is no point when it will end and your heart being broken.

I don't believe that is the case for everyone, married couples from previous generations often stayed together. It is only in our generation that people have started to avoid marriage in favour of other pursuits.

Yigeren
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2016, 1:27 am

Some long-term relationships work out, and others don't. I think that it really depends on the personalities of the people involved more than anything else.