Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2016, 9:35 am

My town just opened up an autism center, but looking at the pictures on Facebook, it seems oriented toward children.... but I do not know if I should ask a place like that for help, or try to talk to mental health again... the autism center is attached to the hospital and I'll be at the hospital in Monday, but also Mon. I have an appointment with mental health, ask both places?

Avatar: A Shiny from the new Pokemon Pearl remake, Shiny Chatot... I named him TaterTot...

FINALLY diagnosed with ASD 2/6/2020

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2016, 9:46 am

DEFINITELY visit and ask your questions. While I appreciate autism clinics or centers for children, I believe that the clinics need to be responsive throughout their clients' lifetimes. Too many such clinics fail at the idea that cute autistic kids grow up eventually and need continuing and slightly different care and assistance.

So, yes, ask your questions and even suggest some ideas.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

0regonGuy
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2016, 10:06 am

Angnix wrote:
My town just opened up an autism center, but looking at the pictures on Facebook, it seems oriented toward children.... but I do not know if I should ask a place like that for help, or try to talk to mental health again... the autism center is attached to the hospital and I'll be at the hospital in Monday, but also Mon. I have an appointment with mental health, ask both places?

I wouldn't waste your time with it. Of course it's directed towards children. All autism spending is directed toward children. More specifically it's directed towards parents of autistic children, and helping them cope with their unfortunate situation. They don't really care about autistic children or autistic adults.

ouroborosUK
Toucan
Toucan

12 Mar 2016, 12:07 pm

So much of the effort and spending (both public and private) in support of autism is directed towards children that you can usually assume that any center or association or organization or service will only deal with children until proof of the opposite.

So if you know that that center is directed towards children and you have no indication that it also deals with adults, then it is almost certainly only for children. Still, you can give them a visit and maybe you will meet some interesting and supportive people who can orient you towards other structures, but there is every chance that the activities of the center itself will only be for children.

A bit obsessed with vocabulary, semantics and using the right words. Sorry if it is a concern. It's the way I think, I am not hair-splitting or attacking you.

Knofskia
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2016, 1:04 pm

I suggest asking both places. I had to ask... I forget how many places. They kept bouncing me around. But, the good thing was they kept referring me to someone else until I finally found someone who would help me. They did not just say, "We can not help you... Good luck."

One place was just for children with autism; another place was just for adults with mental disorders. But, I eventually found a place in Michigan that accepts adults with autism! Joyful exclamation! I am not a fully functioning and independent adult yet. But, I do have more resources.

Weak Emerging Social Communicator (The Social Thinking-­Social Communication Profile by Michelle Garcia Winner, Pamela Crooke and Stephanie Madrigal)

"I am silently correcting your grammar." :lol: