Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

How to deal with Mentally Disabled Homeless People?
WHAT mentally disable homeless people? 3%  3%  [ 2 ]
Ignore them and hope they just go away. 3%  3%  [ 2 ]
Hand them a religious tract and pray for them. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Hand them a few dollars whenever possible. 16%  16%  [ 13 ]
Buy them some food whenever possible. 15%  15%  [ 12 ]
Take them to a homeless shelter. 18%  18%  [ 14 ]
Take them to their relatives. 8%  8%  [ 6 ]
Take them to a hospital. 13%  13%  [ 10 ]
Take them to a police station. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Call the cops on them. 4%  4%  [ 3 ]
Complain about them to your political leaders. 4%  4%  [ 3 ]
Complain about them on a radio call-in show. 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
Complain about them in an on-line social forum. 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
Get them involved in the process of manufacturing Soylent Green. 5%  5%  [ 4 ]
Other: ________________ (Please Explain). 11%  11%  [ 9 ]
Total votes : 80

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

21 May 2016, 2:57 pm

Where I live the bums are like the living dead, you can't help. Most panhandlers in my experience are not homeless and are pulling some sort of scam for drugs or just money. I've seen get off these corners and drive off in Escalades, it's ridiculous this organized panhandling is allowed to go on I think. You can't respond to every homeless person, I live downtown and there are probably 10,000 homeless in this city so you just can't. I usually just ignore them or just tell them I'm broke which is more often true than not, some are ridiculous with what they ask and I can't laugh in their face sometimes. Some junkie once told he needed $30 to buy some bread for his family or something, just bold faced stupid lie and he asked me of all people in this area.

Some are friendly, usually the most mentally ill keep their distance and never say a word to anyone. I use to carry around free coupons to Carl's Jr that I'd give away when somebody bugged for me change because 'they need food' which is such a lie since I know you get almost $200 in food a month from food stamps and those countless soup kitchens and homeless shelters so its almost always about buying drugs or alcohol. Honestly if they're honest with me, I might even give someone a couple bucks if have it for them to buy beer. Some homeless lady asked straight up and I gave it to her because she wasn't trying to run a scam on me. Really tho, you shouldn't help people kill themselves.

Avoid eye contact, do not stop, do not engage beyond a simple NO. Some people might find that callous but they don't live where I do. I do feel bad for some but most aren't particularly sympathetic.

transsupernatural
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

23 May 2016, 10:18 am

You mean what would I like to happen to me? I'm not out on the streets so you wouldn't pin me as homeless, but sadly I am. I am just somehow lucky enough to find friends most nights that can offer a couch, or I suffer at my parent's house through abuse.
The whole homeless system needs some serious help. The government readily spends too much on stupid crap while avoiding this major issue as much as possible. The mentality of picking oneself up by their bootstraps is not only ableist, but classist and not a true reality. I did well in high school, and while I struggled majorly in college, I still got a degree with a good GPA. But graduating meant homelessness for me because I don't have the luxury of returning home to my parents.
My mom knows I'm mentally ill and she exploits it. I only get worse. I'm better off homeless than there.

Point being... not every homeless person is on the streets. And even so, extend some compassion to these people. For the majority, they didn't choose homelessness, the same way they didn't choose to be mentally ill. Mentally ill people are far greater risks of being abused than NTs. We need to remember this every time we are annoyed by a homeless person. Doesn't mean you have to give money, but don't be mean. They're people just as you...

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2016, 1:18 am

Ettina wrote:
Treat them with respect. They deserve it as much as anyone else, and they get it far less than they deserve.

Those are my words exactly and provide free housing for them.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2016, 1:42 am

I don't see many homeless people where I live, they seem much more frequent in major cities. But I'm not crazy about any of those options.

I know society thinks such people are at fault for their own suffering and state of living, the police will probably just kill them because they aren't trained to properly deal with the mentally ill even when they don't act dangerous, the hospital will just leave them to die, and religion? Give me a break! I once read that poor people are more religious than wealthy people, which doesn't make much sense. Unless you believe in God because it wouldn't make sense to hate someone who doesn't exist. "Hey God ,you sure are taking your sweet old time to bless me with some good fortune, I assume I must have done something terrible to deserve your lack of attention, I don't know what it was I did but I'm sorry already, okay?" :roll:

Ban-Dodger
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2016, 5:31 am

Homelessness is largely a consequence of an extremely large percentage of land under the control of a very small handful few. Everyone should just be allocated a one-acre plot-of-land when they turn the age of fifteen. From there on it's their own responsibility to learn how to build their own house on their own land or suffer the consequences of not having built their own shelter. Another issue are the ridiculously expensive and extortionist-regulations that force large percentages of the population into poverty...

"If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on
the continent their Fathers conquered.... I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies.... The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs." -Thomas Jefferson

I high-lighted part of that in red as it had just occurred to me that it may have been a causal factor that results in eventual "karmic" homelessness. Conquering has the implications that those who had already lived there were driven away, forced off their own land, and driven into homelessness and poverty, and now the price is being paid in our more recent generations starting from at least since a few decades ago. I fear for the worst for those who have been complicit to Middle-East War-Fare. Homelessness can be tackled humanely or inhumanely, some sources have questioned what happened to over 200K homeless people, several of whom believe that they were all rounded up into FEMA in a similar manner to the Japanese-American Concentration-Camps.

The governments are also largely responsible for causing homelessness to begin with as can be read in this article... http://thinkaboutnow.com/2016/02/l-a-go ... homeless3/