Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

ZombieBrideXD
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2016, 7:32 pm

Hey there everyone, apparently there was a study and it turns out many people on the spectrum do not fit into gender roles very well.

I identify as Non-binary and hope to remove my reproductive organs and breasts in the future, and im a cross dresser.

Since i identify as non-binary i dont wear strictly female or male clothing but i do wear the inbetween so i shop in the male sections a lot and recently cut off all my hair.

Anyone else feel the same?

DA: http://mephilesdark123.deviantart.com

Edenthiel
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2016, 12:52 am

No, but I've met enough non-closeted gender fluid, gender non-binary, bigender and agender people to make a few generalizations.
1. They seem really comfortable with their place in the world and how they move through it.
2. I've yet to meet one that is mean.

If you don't identify as male or female, can either gender of clothing really be considered, 'cross dressing' or is everything you wear simply 'you' ?

(btw, that was a tiny bit tongue in cheek as I've seen some really skilled people mix gendered clothing to make a beautiful statement about binary assumptions)

tatals
Raven
Raven

16 Mar 2016, 1:23 am

That's very interesting. I've always been a tomboy. I perceive myself as female, but I don't fit into the traditional feminine roles. I like to be fluid.

Last edited by tatals on 16 Mar 2016, 1:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

MarbleRye
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

16 Mar 2016, 1:40 am

I think it's cool and I wouldn't mind experimenting switching roles in private with a partner, but I wouldn't be comfortable doing it in public.

ZombieBrideXD
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2016, 12:04 pm

Edenthiel wrote:
If you don't identify as male or female, can either gender of clothing really be considered, 'cross dressing' or is everything you wear simply 'you' ?

i guess i never thought about it that way.

The way i see it is this: if the clothes look like they could be worn by anyone then its just my clothes but i consider wearing a dress or a tuxedo cross dressing while clothes that are a bit ambiguous are just clothes

but then again, do we really need to put an emphasis on it? im starting to really hate putting a label on my gender and sexual orrientation, id rather say " i wear whatever and i dont care if you call me male or female and i dont care what a person has in their pants, ill kiss them and date them as long as they keep it in their pants"

DA: http://mephilesdark123.deviantart.com

Edenthiel
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2016, 12:23 pm

ZombieBrideXD wrote:
Edenthiel wrote:

i guess i never thought about it that way.

The way i see it is this: if the clothes look like they could be worn by anyone then its just my clothes but i consider wearing a dress or a tuxedo cross dressing while clothes that are a bit ambiguous are just clothes

but then again, do we really need to put an emphasis on it? im starting to really hate putting a label on my gender and sexual orrientation, id rather say " i wear whatever and i dont care if you call me male or female and i dont care what a person has in their pants, ill kiss them and date them as long as they keep it in their pants"

Clothing as an industry is really weird that way, until you think of high gendering as a marketing tool. Raising kids, my spouse and I have run into countless examples of the exact same item being sold in both the 'boys' and 'girls' departments but with different labeling, signage and highly gendered marketing spin. However - and this is a really good thing IMO - that has rapidly dwindled in the last few years. It's now not so uncommon to find those items either marketed in the grey area between departments or simply sold as either. And best of all, we're seeing *lots* of elementary school age kids wearing whatever they like regardless of the item's assigned gender. Lots more visible Pink Boys and tomboys. It's like the over the top hype gendering of the last decade just could no longer be sustained...

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2016, 12:55 pm

I am female biologically and also identify as such, but I dress rather androgynous. I have never really been too fond of regular female attire except for a short while as a little kid I had a phase of wanting to wear dresses a lot. But yeah I usually just wear regular fit t-shirts with logos/pictures/album art of bands I listen to, not the more shaped female style ones. As for pants I like straight leg somewhat skinny style jeans but not the super tight ones, cargo pants and cut offs.

I never wear high heels, pretty little sandals or other girly shoes....usually high top converse, vans(and simular brands) and I'd really like a nice pair of doc martin boots but due to the cost I will likely have to save up or strongly empathize I want them around the time of my birthday so someone will gift me some.

I also don't wear much make up...on occasion I put a little eyeliner paired with eyeshadow to make my eyes stand out more. Lol I know guys who wear more make up than me including my brother and our friend.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2016, 1:03 pm

I wear mostly men's clothes and I have a men's long military coat that I like to wear. I have a homemade German helmet that I wear when I'm not at my parents place or working. The last time I bought a piece of women's clothing was 13 years ago.

mikeman7918
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2016, 1:41 pm

I have never really understood that mental gender stuff. There are no known structural differences between male and female brains, there are some minor behavioral differences like what gender they tend to be attracted to, but even that is not a set rule and these differences are dwarfed by the behavioral differences observed between any two people. The biggest behavior differences are caused by different hormone concentrations, but those always correspond to one's "physical gender" with no exceptions. On a mental level, we are all just genderless biological computers.

I so happen to have a Y chromosome and only one X chromosome and I am atracted to females, so I might as well play the cards I am dealt and become a father at some point. I don't "feel" like a male or anything, I just am one. If I instead had two X chromosomes and was atracted to men then I would be OK with that too. I generally wear flannel shirts and jeans which is pretty gender neutral, but that's just because I like the style and it's simple. I have no reason (scientific or otherwise) to believe that one should mentally identify as some gender, it just makes no sense to me.

Diagnosed with Asperger's, ADD, and Generalized Anxiety Disorder in 2004.
In denial that it was a problem until early 2016.

Deviant Art

tatals
Raven
Raven

16 Mar 2016, 4:35 pm

mikeman7918 wrote:
I have never really understood that mental gender stuff. There are no known structural differences between male and female brains, there are some minor behavioral differences like what gender they tend to be attracted to, but even that is not a set rule and these differences are dwarfed by the behavioral differences observed between any two people. The biggest behavior differences are caused by different hormone concentrations, but those always correspond to one's "physical gender" with no exceptions. On a mental level, we are all just genderless biological computers.

I so happen to have a Y chromosome and only one X chromosome and I am atracted to females, so I might as well play the cards I am dealt and become a father at some point. I don't "feel" like a male or anything, I just am one. If I instead had two X chromosomes and was atracted to men then I would be OK with that too. I generally wear flannel shirts and jeans which is pretty gender neutral, but that's just because I like the style and it's simple. I have no reason (scientific or otherwise) to believe that one should mentally identify as some gender, it just makes no sense to me.

Ditto.

Edenthiel
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2016, 4:53 pm

mikeman7918 wrote:

Hi mikeman7918,

The 1960's/70's Blank Slate Theory has been rather resoundingly refuted many times over, as has the, 'gendered behavior comes from current circulating hormone levels' theory. Neither ever had any actual solid data to back them, they were simply pet theories that fit the social assumptions of the time.

In the last two decades, 20+ brain sites & structures have been found that differ between men and women. Not as a binary, but somewhat overlapping bell curves (or a dumbbell, if you prefer). And they follow the same rules (ie development process) as the body's other sex dimorphic sites like those in the endocrine, skeletal and other systems as well as the primary & secondary sex characteristics (although they have different timing & triggers in the dev process). The development process in utero is well understood, to the point of which genes are expressed (&/or blocked by which other genes being expressed as in the 3-step SRY dance that results in "male" (-ish) parts. This holds true all the way down to 2mm nematodes with 400 & 364 neurons depending on 'sex' (super useful b/c every one of their neurons has been mapped & compared to reproductive behavior, sensation, etc.). Two such sites in humans important to things like gender are the location of the sense of Self (damage it and you have trouble knowing you from other) and the brain's low level, hardwired map of the body (not the higher, plastic one). And there are clearly androtopic and gynetropic (thanks, Fnord for the new terms!) or if you will the more clinical androphillic and gynephillic sites - again, gross generalization, in aggregate, on a spectrum, etc.. - the really fascinating one in that arena (sexuality being a matter of sex dimorphism opposite that expected as based on birth assignment/genital configuration) is sex dimorphic scent receptors that are tied to attraction (ie so-called "pheromone" receptors).

Also, chromosomes have little to do with the development process beyond providing the initial blueprints, but sometimes things are not built as we expect. Also, there appears to be a genetic component to both atypical gender identity and atypical sexuality (which are separate, but both fall under 'unexpected development compared to birth assignment & prior assumptions about animal sex dimorphic development).

As you've probably guessed by now, there is a fair sized area between the two bell curve peaks for any of these measured site or structure attributes where an overlap is found - and it's existence backs the idea that some people are both or neutral when it comes to either gender identity, body identity or sexuality.

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2016, 7:50 pm

I'm male, but my appearance being what it is, I'm closer to "androgynous" than anything else. Heck, I showed a face photo once on here, and was immediately mistaken for a girl. Wasnt at a goofy angle or anything either, just straight on. And I kinda like that androgynous look. It's pretty much the look I want. So if someone does mistake my gender, I rather get a kick out of it. My clothing just enhances this as it's extremely neutral. Either gender would wear most of the stuff I have.

Of course, not everyone likes any of this... some people get a little weird about it. Or just unpleasant. One guy that works at a local gas station, where I go every day to get my fountain drink, was very clearly hitting on me a bit the first time I encountered him there. Or at least, he was until the moment I spoke (my voice doesnt sound feminine) at which point the expression on his face just drained completely. I think all I said was "oh, I also need to pre-pay pump number 7". And just, well... he's not so friendly with me anymore after that. This kinda amuses me, because I'm warped like that.

But regardless of what anyone thinks about it... I'm going to bloody well do it ANYWAY. I tend to have a "you're not the boss of me" attitude when it comes to basically everything, and that's no exception. But at the same time I understand that this isnt the case for many out there, that often cant express this sort of thing without trouble... and I can imagine how much that must hurt. It'd be nice if people wouldnt flip out about this sort of thing.

Trogluddite
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2016, 8:30 pm

I sometimes wish I had the courage to dress more as I'd please.

Is not that I feel I want to dress as a different gender, just that I find the gendering of clothes and fashion ridiculously arbitrary and nonsensical, and don't see the point in it. I'm interested only in the practicality, and I would love to get a bit of air circulating around my bits, as otherwise I sweat a lot and end up with what I can only describe as "nappy rash".

Even science agrees with me. Male fertility is reduced by wearing trousers, as it gets our nethers too warm, reducing sperm production. It would be more logical that men wore skirts for the sake of their sexual health. Until well into the 20th century male and female children all wore dresses - clothes were expensive and passed from child to child, so it was perfectly normal for them all to be dressed the same.

The pink/blue thing is even weirder. There were no gender assigned colours until around the time of WW1 - when it was decided that pink was a very masculine colour, and blue was feminine (not a typo!). Between then and WW2, some stores started doing it the other way around, until by the 50's it had completely reversed to the way it is now.

As I have Scottish blood, I suppose I shouldn't be embarrassed to at least wear a kilt - but my odd walk and way of talking generate enough unwanted attention already, so I just can't bring myself to do it.

Yigeren
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2016, 8:33 pm

^ I think kilts are awesome.

Trogluddite
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2016, 8:37 pm

Not sure folks would think the same of my knobbly legs though! :wink:

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

22 Mar 2016, 3:12 am

I don't exactly conform to the male stereotype. I went through a secret phase of trasvestic fetishism 1ce I hit puberty & really wished I was a girl too. I haven't wanted to cross-dress sense I got over that fetish because of the connection to it. As an adult, I never liked having body or facial hair, I didn't like having a sex drive & wished I didn't have a penis for afew years but I don't like having man-boobs either. I guess I've been really confused with my gender.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition