Getting citations from the smile police. Ugh!

Page 3 of 4 [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2016, 10:23 am

You're all going to bang me.....but people look better in pictures when they smile.

DataB4
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2017, 11:10 am

I am reviving this old thread to post a comedian riffing on this same topic:

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2017, 11:51 am

Smiling is a valuable skill, and well worth learning.

I used to never like my face in photos, up until age 16. Someone told me to just relax my face, rather than telling me to smile, and the photo turned out great. Relaxing my face felt great, and so I had a small natural smile. YMMV, but it looked natural, and made my face look better than a big smile.

Years later, after I realized that my default face settings diminished my effectiveness, I started getting in the habit of using that trick more often, and eventually that little smile became my default face setting.

The Facial Feedback Hypothesis is worth knowing. Pick a source which suits you, there's a lot written about it.

Instead of getting annoyed at people for doing what they aren't going to stop doing, you could learn a valuable new skill. Philosophically, I want to live in a more beautiful world, so I make myself as attractive as possible in order to contribute to the general sense of a more beautiful world. Like the Style Golden Rule, or something.

This_Amoeba
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2017, 8:22 pm

When I worked as a cashier I often got requests from men to smile, never women. They would often say "smile, it's not that bad," or "you look grumpy, smile for me." I usually responded by telling them that "I am not grumpy" or "I am smiling," then they would get all pissy and complain to the manager.

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2017, 3:07 am

This_Amoeba wrote:
When I worked as a cashier I often got requests from men to smile, never women. They would often say "smile, it's not that bad," or "you look grumpy, smile for me." I usually responded by telling them that "I am not grumpy" or "I am smiling," then they would get all pissy and complain to the manager.

That sounds both manipulative and discriminatory. Women in service jobs must seem like easy targets to creeps.

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2017, 8:25 am

When people do this, it's one of my pet peeves because it's not only patronizing but controlling as well.

Years ago I worked at an airport in a food court when I was nearly 21. During those days, I functioned at the level of a 14 year old. This one time I sassed off at one of the managers because he was being condescending about talking during work after I made a general comment to a girl who I normally got along with. So I said, "Whatever" which I learned is a form of disrespect. So I tried to apologize but he said that it didn't cut it and started crying.

We also were affiliated with a bar and grill that had people coming into out side all the time. So one of the servers told me, "Turn that frown upside down." To me, it was another barb and it was something that I did not want to hear because I was already feeling humiliated.