Page 1 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

DevilKisses
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2016, 4:51 pm

I once heard someone say on Reddit that they though Finnish people were a bunch of autistic alcoholics living in a frozen wasteland. I know the commenter wasnt serious about that comment. Soon people will call each other autistic for taking a math class, playing video games or feeling awkward around girls.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2016, 5:23 pm

There is the tendency for people to consider Scandinavian people (and Finnish people) somewhat more reserved than people who live farther south. In the culture, there is a strong tendency towards being taciturn when it comes to expressing emotions.

Sometimes, this "reserve" might give an impression that they do not really have a desire to be social. Rarely, though, is this impression extended towards the belief that people from these nations are autistic.

dcj123
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2016, 5:25 pm

DevilKisses wrote:
I once heard someone say on Reddit that they though Finnish people were a bunch of autistic alcoholics living in a frozen wasteland. I know the commenter wasnt serious about that comment. Soon people will call each other autistic for taking a math class, playing video games or feeling awkward around girls.

L O L

There already is a autistic stereotype for people who take math classes, play video games and who feel awkward around girls.

Don't do social media much I take it?

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2016, 5:28 pm

The one Finnish engineer I know really well was is actually more social than the typical American engineer, for whatever that is worth. Perhaps having his young kids around makes a difference? I am more at ease in situations with lots of young kids and parents around,.

DevilKisses
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2016, 5:39 pm

dcj123 wrote:
DevilKisses wrote:

L O L

There already is a autistic stereotype for people who take math classes, play video games and who feel awkward around girls.

I'm talking about real life. I already knew about the stereotype. I'm thinking more like this.
NT1: I'm taking a math class this semester.
NT2: That's a pretty autistic class.

NT1: I never know how to act around girls I like.
NT2: Are you autistic or something?

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2016, 6:13 pm

Finnish, and Scandanavia culture has a somber tone, and the people tend to be flat in their emotional expression. So calling Finns "autistic" can be taken as a cute funny hyperbole.

Have also heard that "its no accident that Norway's greatest artist was Edvard Monk, who was manic depressive, because Norway's culture is rather manic depressive. The country shuts down during the long sub arctic winter nights, and suddenly bursts into action in the spring".

I dunno.

Does get you wondering if different countries can be said to have clinical disorders attached to their cultures.

Japan is a bit (not really autistic) but aspergian in culture.

The USA is a bit ADHD, and getting more so. We have short attention spans. Tend to be a nation of risk takers. And that may not be an accident. Were a land of immigrants- ADHD folks might be more restless and prone to emmigrate to the new world, or to the frontier. ADHD folks often run afoul of the law. So frontier countries like the USA, and Australia, which attract immigrants, and also were used as dumping grounds for convicts, may have more folks with ADHD genes than other countries.

Im just speculating.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2016, 6:16 pm

That could very well be true. It makes sense.

DaughterOfAule
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 Mar 2016, 2:04 am

If Finland wasn't so cold it'd be my ideal country, at least from what I've heard. The language is one of my two favorite sounds in the world (I REALLY want to learn Finnish), I love the Kalevala and a lot of Finnish metal bands, and they're social rules seem to be more my type, at least stereotypically. But even though I'd rather too cold over too hot, Finland seems to be pretty cold.  I'd still love to visit someday. I also would love to see the midnight sun!

Sorry, I love Finland :P

"I do not wish to evade the world
Yet I will forever build my own" - Tuomas Holopainen

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2016, 7:24 am

Finland is very pleasant weather-wise from May to October. Usually, the high temperature during these times is above 15 Celsius.

Pieplup
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2016, 9:01 am

DevilKisses wrote:
dcj123 wrote:
DevilKisses wrote:

L O L

I'm talking about real life. I already knew about the stereotype. I'm thinking more like this.
NT1: I'm taking a math class this semester.
NT2: That's a pretty autistic class.

NT1: I never know how to act around girls I like.
NT2: Are you autistic or something?

LOL,
NT1: No.
NT2: Are you Sure?
Pieplup: Hi, Allistic.
NT1: That is a Autistic
NT2: Definitly.
:lol:

teksla
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2016, 11:36 am

I am Finnish, and i live in Finland and i am actually autistic. So i know a lot of the topic. Finns are a lot more honest and quiet but not autistic. But i am very happy i live in a place that being quiet and honest and antisocial (compared to other places)

teksla
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2016, 11:38 am

DaughterOfAule wrote:
If Finland wasn't so cold it'd be my ideal country, at least from what I've heard. The language is one of my two favorite sounds in the world (I REALLY want to learn Finnish), I love the Kalevala and a lot of Finnish metal bands, and they're social rules seem to be more my type, at least stereotypically. But even though I'd rather too cold over too hot, Finland seems to be pretty cold.  I'd still love to visit someday. I also would love to see the midnight sun!

I speak finnish every day :)
Its a hard language though...

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2016, 11:41 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
There is the tendency for people to consider Scandinavian people (and Finnish people) somewhat more reserved than people who live farther south. In the culture, there is a strong tendency towards being taciturn when it comes to expressing emotions.

Sometimes, this "reserve" might give an impression that they do not really have a desire to be social. Rarely, though, is this impression extended towards the belief that people from these nations are autistic.

That may be but the music isn't very 'reserved':

BenderRodriguez
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2016, 12:06 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:

Scandinavian cultures are more introverted and people coming from extroverted, gregarious cultures often calls us "autistic" in a derogative way. It's mostly culture shock - different concepts of what's polite, personal space etc. Communication can be more direct, involving less "niceties", but still with much implied. Also there's less need to fill in every moment with words and we're comfortable with silence in the company of others. Before travelling and living abroad I used to see typical Anglo-American attempts of being friendly as intrusive and pushy, so I understand. A lot of people don't realise how big cultural differences can be across Europe.

BenderRodriguez
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2016, 12:11 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:

That may be but the music isn't very 'reserved'

Reserved in this context is referring to how we act and interact. Underneath we often have strong emotions and music is a great vehicle for expressing them (or if you prefer, lack of manifestation of emotion doesn't equate absence of emotion).

DaughterOfAule
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 Mar 2016, 2:58 pm

teksla wrote:
DaughterOfAule wrote:

I speak finnish every day :)
Its a hard language though...

I'm pretty stubborn, if I set my mind on something I'm going to do it, most of the time anyway :P I just wish Duolingo would create a Finnish course as that would be the best way for me to learn. I'd like to at least be able to understand it when I hear it. I took four years of Spanish and even though I didn't try too hard I can understand a bit, though I can't really speak it.

Sweetleaf wrote:
That may be but the music isn't very 'reserved':

Maybe being reserved means you need a stronger outlet for everything you hold in. I know I do, its probably one of the reasons why I love listening to metal, I'm just about as introverted and reserved as you can get.

"I do not wish to evade the world
Yet I will forever build my own" - Tuomas Holopainen