Page 1 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

DaughterOfAule
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 Mar 2016, 2:58 pm

teksla wrote:
DaughterOfAule wrote:
If Finland wasn't so cold it'd be my ideal country, at least from what I've heard. The language is one of my two favorite sounds in the world (I REALLY want to learn Finnish), I love the Kalevala and a lot of Finnish metal bands, and they're social rules seem to be more my type, at least stereotypically. But even though I'd rather too cold over too hot, Finland seems to be pretty cold.  I'd still love to visit someday. I also would love to see the midnight sun!

Sorry, I love Finland :P

I speak finnish every day :)
Its a hard language though...

I'm pretty stubborn, if I set my mind on something I'm going to do it, most of the time anyway :P I just wish Duolingo would create a Finnish course as that would be the best way for me to learn. I'd like to at least be able to understand it when I hear it. I took four years of Spanish and even though I didn't try too hard I can understand a bit, though I can't really speak it.

Sweetleaf wrote:
That may be but the music isn't very 'reserved':

Maybe being reserved means you need a stronger outlet for everything you hold in. I know I do, its probably one of the reasons why I love listening to metal, I'm just about as introverted and reserved as you can get.

"I do not wish to evade the world
Yet I will forever build my own" - Tuomas Holopainen

Basso53
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2016, 3:05 pm

DaughterOfAule wrote:
If Finland wasn't so cold it'd be my ideal country, at least from what I've heard. The language is one of my two favorite sounds in the world (I REALLY want to learn Finnish), I love the Kalevala and a lot of Finnish metal bands, and they're social rules seem to be more my type, at least stereotypically. But even though I'd rather too cold over too hot, Finland seems to be pretty cold.  I'd still love to visit someday. I also would love to see the midnight sun!

Finland isn't all that cold---I mean if you're up around Rovaniemi, on the Arctic Circle, or really north in Lapland, it's cold. Eastern Finland, near the Russian border, can be cold. Around Helsinki, or even up into coastal Ostrobothnia around Vaasa? Not much colder than many US cities. This past winter it dipped below 0*F for a few days, but mostly, it wasn't that bad. Minneapolis is probably colder on average, as well as Chicago. The recent trend is towards relatively mild winters, and it's predicted to continue. Some of the ski areas have been suffering from a lack of snow in recent winters.

The language is lovely to listen to. It's easy to speak phonetically. The grammar, on the other hand........good luck with that. :lol:

You seem to have both Aspie and neurotypical traits

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2016, 7:06 pm

BenderRodriguez wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:

That may be but the music isn't very 'reserved'

Reserved in this context is referring to how we act and interact. Underneath we often have strong emotions and music is a great vehicle for expressing them (or if you prefer, lack of manifestation of emotion doesn't equate absence of emotion).

That is what I was kind of thinking...I have watched interveiws of that band and other Scandinavian metal, and yeah seems like there is more expression in the music. Also I have Scandinavian heritage on my dads side at least and I notice minimal expression in a lot of my family including myself(though in my case I mostly have attributed it to the autism). Though some of my family lives in northern Minnesota where there's quite a few nordic decent people so some cultural elements remain kind of common....my cousins there have criticized me and my brother for being too loud in conversation but we've pretty much grown up in Colorado which is like a salad of all kinds of cultuers/heritages mashed together.

DaughterOfAule
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

18 Mar 2016, 1:43 am

Basso53 wrote:
DaughterOfAule wrote:

Finland isn't all that cold---I mean if you're up around Rovaniemi, on the Arctic Circle, or really north in Lapland, it's cold. Eastern Finland, near the Russian border, can be cold. Around Helsinki, or even up into coastal Ostrobothnia around Vaasa? Not much colder than many US cities. This past winter it dipped below 0*F for a few days, but mostly, it wasn't that bad. Minneapolis is probably colder on average, as well as Chicago. The recent trend is towards relatively mild winters, and it's predicted to continue. Some of the ski areas have been suffering from a lack of snow in recent winters.

The language is lovely to listen to. It's easy to speak phonetically. The grammar, on the other hand........good luck with that. :lol:

Then I shall amend my statement to: Finland seems to be the ideal country to live in as long as I lived in the right part of it :P

"I do not wish to evade the world
Yet I will forever build my own" - Tuomas Holopainen

emmasma
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Nov 2017, 9:09 am

LOL I found this thread looking for something else and it made me smile. Maybe I'm just Finnish :)

teksla
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2017, 9:15 am

emmasma wrote:
LOL I found this thread looking for something else and it made me smile. Maybe I'm just Finnish :)

Both the Swedish are Finnish ones are wrong. You can say that in Swedish, but the finnish one is plain wrong.

emmasma
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Nov 2017, 9:29 am

teksla wrote:
Both the Swedish are Finnish ones are wrong. You can say that in Swedish, but the finnish one is plain wrong.

That sucks, Sorry. I did look it up and Google says it means "dickhead". I wasn't trying to be offensive.
I obviously don't speak Finnish. I do have alot of ancestors from there and admire the serious personality they get stereotyped with.

teksla
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2017, 9:39 am

emmasma wrote:
teksla wrote:

That sucks, Sorry. I did look it up and Google says it means "dickhead". I wasn't trying to be offensive.
I obviously don't speak Finnish. I do have alot of ancestors from there and admire the serious personality they get stereotyped with.

I'm not offended.

In kith Swedish and Finnish there is a gender neutral expression for loved one, and boyfriend/girlfriend etc.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2017, 10:53 am

Back in the 80's or 90's Sixty Minutes did this tongue-in-cheek segment about Finland. And its gloomy culture.
But there is hope. They were importing a big dose of ...tango! But even the Finnish version of tango is not quite the same as the familiar hot blooded Latin American kind of tango.

green0star
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2017, 10:56 am

Don't mind ignorant people that don't take the time to expand their intellects ...

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2017, 11:04 am

teksla wrote:
DaughterOfAule wrote:

I speak finnish every day :)
Its a hard language though...

Some sentences of Finnish are quite pleasing to the ear. But I would imagine that it must be hard for an English speaker to learn because its MORE foreign a foreign language than most European languages.

Not a Germanic language (like the Scandanavian languages), nor is Slavic (like Russian). Its a non Indoeuropean language whose closest cousins are the languages of aboriginal peoples of Asiatic Russia in Siberia (Hungarian is a distant cousin also not akin to surrounding Indoeuropean languages).

TheAP
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2017, 11:10 am

I tend to be skeptical of these claims that people in certain countries have certain personalities. Canadians are supposed to be polite, but certainly not everyone I know is polite all the time. Also, I've seen posts that say that Germans don't have humour, but I saw a survey that said that German parents prize a sense of humour more than parents in any other surveyed country.

Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2017, 4:12 am

teksla wrote:
I am Finnish, and i live in Finland and i am actually autistic.

Torilla tavataan! :mrgreen:

Ahem, well, if this stereotype were true I wouldn't bother to use this forum since I could get all the support I hope to get from here from real life since I've been born and raised in Finland and still live here.

I can understand where the stereotype comes from, though. Many Finns that have traveled a lot do say that an average Finn tends to be rather antisocial compared to people from North America or southern Europe. Then again some others complain about how rude Americans are 'cause they just don't know when to shut up, can't be silent for a second and have no understanding of personal space or what is considered a personal matter. This, of course, is just a stereotype cause by cultural differences, just like the claim about all Finns being antisocial.

teksla
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2017, 4:19 am

Fireblossom wrote:
teksla wrote:
I am Finnish, and i live in Finland and i am actually autistic.

Torilla tavataan! :mrgreen:

Ahem, well, if this stereotype were true I wouldn't bother to use this forum since I could get all the support I hope to get from here from real life since I've been born and raised in Finland and still live here.

Cool!

Missäpäin asut? (asun itse Helsingissä)

Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2017, 10:56 am

teksla wrote:
Cool!

Missäpäin asut? (asun itse Helsingissä)

Lounais-Suomessa.

Sorry people, we'll stop speaking Finnish now. :lol:

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2017, 11:01 am

You can speak Finnish any time you want.

(LOL...it would be nice if you translated it for us, though :wink: )

So we can learn a little bit of the language.