Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

obsessingoverobsessions
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

22 Mar 2016, 11:35 am

And by that, I mean the meltdown itself, not the effects after it happens.

I had my longest meltdown last night, it lasted for 5 hours. I have to be alone during my meltdowns but my parents kept disturbing me and turning the light on to "make sure I was ok" (because I was hyperventilating), and because I go mute during my meltdowns, all I could do was make a frustrated moan. I managed to grab a sheet of paper and pen which was nearby, and I wrote "leave me alone" on it. I left it on the floor beside me, and they didn't come in again after they saw it. It took me 30 minutes to calm down after they stopped disturbing me.

You are very likely neurodiverse (Aspie)

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2017, 2:11 pm

Weeks

My parents didn't know how to deal with it. They didn't believe in therapists and doctors were only for if you were dying. My meltdowns were often made worse because my parents would threaten me during a meltdown or make fun of me for having it in the first place. They would record it and play it back to me and say in a mocking tone, "Do you know what you sound like?" I'm so glad they didn't have a video camera or You Tube. But anyway, my parents would just provoke me when in meltdown mode, making it worse. My mom was adamant I had a mood disorder or mentally ill.

TheSilentOne
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2017, 6:05 pm

I'm not sure, but probably several hours or a whole day maybe

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2017, 9:46 pm

I have had a few that went on for hours.

searsdp04
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 Jan 2017, 12:44 am

Probably about an hour or so.

This_Amoeba
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2017, 12:53 am

MagicMeerkat wrote:
Weeks

My parents didn't know how to deal with it. They didn't believe in therapists and doctors were only for if you were dying. My meltdowns were often made worse because my parents would threaten me during a meltdown or make fun of me for having it in the first place. They would record it and play it back to me and say in a mocking tone, "Do you know what you sound like?" I'm so glad they didn't have a video camera or You Tube. But anyway, my parents would just provoke me when in meltdown mode, making it worse. My mom was adamant I had a mood disorder or mentally ill.

Me too. My mom called the cops on me and they sent me to the hospital and drugged me up on antipsychotics. They always called me crazy.

BuyerBeware
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2017, 2:28 am

When my dad died and things got more f****d up from there, I think that meltdown lasted about 10 days. I didn't scream or throw things or hurt myself or anything, but if looks and words uttered in a hissing whisper could kill, a lot of people would be dead now.

Sometimes I think the almost-a-year I spent living with my in-laws was a long, slow, mostly repressed meltdown.

wrongcitizen
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2017, 3:20 am

When I was around 12 or something and got the stomach flu. I didn't sleep the whole night, drove my parents insane, vomited my guts out, cried non stop, screamed, destroyed everything, refused anything, I looked absolutely horrible. My face was completely frighteningly grey, I couldn't walk and fell as I was walking and the stomach flu wouldn't go away because I kept unconsciously making myself vomit, and I was falling apart with explosiveness during the whole thing. All I wanted was a glass of water and it all started >:(

Anyways, the most hilarious part was it took another 7 years of not caring. One night I got out of bed and my thoughts were all just frozen, I felt nothing. Then I felt like I was shot in the gut with nausea, and after 7 years I panicked like I never had before, it was very "triggering" if you want to use that word. Now I've gotten a bit over it but there are small remnants of this old phobia that I hope never arise again. I just can't stand the feeling of nausea, and the longest total meltdown I had was around the times I've felt close to sick, in school or wherever. I will cry and throw a tantrum, beg to go to the nearest doctor just so they can stop it. I was a shaky wreck but I'm far better now.

The other occasion I can think about is every couple months I get a sort of personality crash. I feel like a sociopath you know, I just put on this fake damn mask to fit in with others and it dries out and I discard it feeling like I have no personality then I have to dawn a new one, it's rather horrible. But at the end of a certain period of time I sort of explode because this "mask" personality dies away and I'm left with some internal insecurity that I'm working to get rid of. No idea how it got there tbh.

Sorry this post sounds horrible :L

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2017, 9:32 pm

This_Amoeba wrote:
MagicMeerkat wrote:
Weeks

Me too. My mom called the cops on me and they sent me to the hospital and drugged me up on antipsychotics. They always called me crazy.

My mom did that too.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2017, 11:33 pm

More than 3 hours.

I was just at 5th grade, it was during class. The teacher was there, and the class is quiet
It was when my sensory-seeking days are over before I realized what it meant (took me years to realize what it meant). I became very intolerant and very irritated by slight stimuli. I just wanted it to stop.

That day: I broke 2 pencils, banged and shut the classroom door, ran away from class, hid in a toilet stall where lights are dim and where there were no noise then stayed there for hours crying, and broke the stall door off it's hinges while lashing out.

Of course, that was before I was diagnosed. People simply think I'm just a moody little girl who's very easily provoked. :roll: I got away with the broken stall door, and no one knew the truth about it.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

Feralucce
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2017, 1:12 am

2 weeks... resulted in a complete psychotic break

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2017, 2:40 am

about 31 seconds. i was in my chemistry class junior year, becoming increasingly unable to form words and convey my intents, backed by stress and anxiety, i became a stuttering mess. i had to leave the class to go somewhere.

of course...we're talking about meltdowns we actually remember.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

Fraser_1990
Toucan
Toucan

08 Jan 2017, 6:19 am

I'm not really sure what counts as a meltdown. But I have many memories as a kid with huge temper flare ups. I destroyed a few school classrooms back in the day. 15-20 years on I still feel my behaviour was justified.

Pieplup
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2017, 8:09 am

MagicMeerkat wrote:
Weeks

My sister done that once. When I insisted that she stopped recording me in public.. Since she insists on making money off my pain she won't take it down.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2017, 9:19 am

About an hour at the most.