Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2016, 6:37 pm

When us aspies go to social occasions in terms of how we 'dress' what mistakes do we make in what clothes we pick?

alex
Developer
Developer

23 Mar 2016, 6:39 pm

Jamesy wrote:
When us aspies go to social occasions in terms of how we 'dress' what mistakes do we make in what clothes we pick?

I've noticed that aspies make a large number of mistakes.

Make sure to wear clothes that fit. Also pick clothes that are trendy and in style. Watch shows like entourage and see what the people on those shows are wearing.

QuillAlba
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2016, 6:45 pm

Jamesy wrote:

I tend to pick clothes I am comfortable with and in, which tend to be old, which is a nono for social occaions.
They can be very wrong for the occasion, but all these rules for dressing are silly. We should have comfy smart and comfy casual, and that's it for social occasions.

drlaugh
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2016, 7:01 pm

I know I'm stretching my concepts when my spouse asks me if I'm trying to set a fashion trend.

Today I had converse shoe looking socks in green.
Grey Hawaii 5-0 show t shirt
Grey Sweats and black suit coat.

I dress more conservative at work.

jeska31
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

23 Mar 2016, 7:13 pm

Interesting coming across this as I feel more comfortable wearing loose clothes that fit me comfortably (pjs and tank tops/flipflops are my favorite) I do have a trendy sense of style when I choose to dress the part and try and look more normal but i would rather dress comfortable. It's funny because my kids look like gap models and I look homeless lol I think that's the hardest thing, I can teach my kids how to be normal and look normal but its something I can't do myself. I am a firm believer how you dress depends on how much respect you get from people. Unfortunately that is true. Wish I cared less about what people think of my comfy dressing 8)

the_phoenix
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2016, 7:14 pm

On the bright side,
I win lots of costume contests.
Sometimes,
the prize is a gift card to a grocery store.
:D

Trogluddite
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2016, 7:29 pm

I've been accused of being a "hipster" ever since the word came into vogue.
When I played in punk bands years ago, everyone else thought I looked like a hippy.
Regularly accused of dressing like "someone's granddad" during my twenties.
And apparently my taste in headgear consists of "silly hats".

Maybe I should post some pictures of me throughout the years, there would be an example of pretty much every male fashion faux-pas imaginable, I reckon! (except for wearing socks with sandals - even I have some decorum! :wink: )

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2016, 7:37 pm

Getting clothes that fit isn't easy when you are guy that is short and over 50--so I added hemming shirts to my list of skills.

mikeman7918
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2016, 8:19 pm

I just have a closet full of a bunch of flannel shirts and jeans. I just pick stuff randomly and put it on in the morning, so it works out pretty well. If I had a large variety of clothing then I can see how I would end up looking pretty crazy sometimes.

Diagnosed with Asperger's, ADD, and Generalized Anxiety Disorder in 2004.
In denial that it was a problem until early 2016.

Deviant Art

jeska31
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

24 Mar 2016, 10:44 pm

I have gained alot of weight over the past few years, I do not have a tremendous amount to lose but I am in the process of having Gastric Bypass Surgery in the next six months because I was born with sleep apnea the machines not working and this is something I have to get under control I'm tired of losing and gaining weight so I'm going to fix the problem forever and work on being as healthy as I can possibly be.....and I plan on dressing to impress :)

DailyPoutine1
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2016, 10:46 pm

I don't like trend clothing. All the idiots wearing it makes me want not to wear it. It's not that good anyways. I stick to my one color shirts, blue jeans and my hoodie.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2016, 3:36 am

I always had my own style and eschewed emulating anybody else's style. so far I haven't found any imitators :mrgreen:

traven
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2016, 3:57 am

Dress differently!

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2016, 3:58 am

vive la différence. :star:

ArielsSong
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2016, 3:59 am

For me my biggest embarrassment was my first night out at university. We turned up to the club and every other girl was wearing skirts/skinny jeans and short-sleeved tops, and I was out in my casual jeans, a dark t-shirt and a suit jacket/blazer over the top.

It was my favourite style at the time, and I realised I was wearing different to everyone else whilst we were out, but just didn't realise how out of place I looked until I saw myself in photographs. On evenings out I still don't dress like others, but I now aim for black trousers and a slightly 'fancy' short-sleeved top. It makes me stand out a little less, and as I grow older there are fortunately more and more women covering themselves up a bit so that I blend in with them.

Day-to-day, I now own one style of jeans and one style of shorts, and the same t-shirt every day, so that's something that I don't have to think about. Very casual, but I'm comfortable with how I look in that outfit - I prefer casual comfort over fashion.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2016, 4:02 am

why would anybody wanna look like anybody else? :scratch: