Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

VDUB04
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

26 Mar 2016, 6:19 pm

What are people's experience of the UK assessment proccess on here?
Mine was a a couple of lengthy questionnaires (I can't remember the names of them) and then the assessment which I attended with my parents, apparently in which the D.I.S.C.O assessment tool was used and took about 3 1/3 hours.
I don't for one second doubt the diagnosis and generally it's been very positive. The difficulties I still have, are the same as before I got the diagnosis, it's just now I can understand them and myself more and try to manage them better. It just bothers me a bit that I hear of other people going through hours and hours of assessment with a whole range of tests, especially if they were children and mine wasn't like that. Aside from the pre assessment questionnaires and it was just the D.I.S.C.O assessment with my parents, obviously including going through my childhood, development etc. and right up to now which took about 3 and a bit hours.

QuillAlba
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2016, 6:32 pm

My testing took a little longer as they were training a doctor on autism stuff, most of it was focused on my childhood though, glad my mum was there to answer questions as I tend to fly off on wild fancies.

VDUB04
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

26 Mar 2016, 6:39 pm

Yeah the majority of it was about my childhood but they asked a little bit about more recent times, like what I've done since I left school and starting uni last September. I struggled to be able to answer questions, so looked to my mum help me out but I was able to answer a bit.

QuillAlba
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2016, 6:49 pm

I mostly felt extreme shame through the testing, I was just trying to survive childhood, hearing of my antics was very painful.
I think mine took about 10-12 hours total, though I may be wrong. It was disco too, I made a travolta joke when they told me.

VDUB04
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

26 Mar 2016, 7:41 pm

Yeah, although it was overall a positive experience getting the diagnosis, trawling through old stuff was a bit traumatic, like bringing it all back up again, especially my teenage years.
Wow that's long. Does it matter that mine wasn't that long? Can anyone else relate to my assessment experience?

I think I might try and bring this up when I go to the women's ASD support group I started at recently. I never thought I'd go to something like that and actually have a positive experience but for lack of all other post diagnosis support I gave it a go in desperation and actually it's been positive. I do find it incredibly difficult to talk in it but they obviously understand so it's still positive to get to hear from other women on the spectrum.
Haha I get Ottowan's 'D.I.S.C.O' stuck on repeat in my head every time I think of it :lol: