How to make a 4K movie with a average performance PC

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

EphraimB
Raven
Raven

27 Mar 2016, 4:08 pm

I have a average performance PC (the cheapest Microsoft Surface Pro 4) and i'm planning on making a movie about my future self in 4K. Is there any way for me to do this with only 4GB of RAM and a 1.51GHz intel core m3 processor(example: coding it)?

My personality type: INTJ-T

Freedoomed
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2016, 12:44 am

How could one "code" a movie?
Are you talking about encoding a video you recorded in 4K using a software like HandBrake? More threads, higher clocks and memory speed (at a certain extent) lower rendering time.

EphraimB
Raven
Raven

29 Mar 2016, 7:51 am

No, I mean editing 4K videos programmatically.

My personality type: INTJ-T

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2016, 4:43 am

By 4K, you mean UHD screen Resolution, correct?

If so, you will need plenty of memory, and the time and patience for it to render. Video editing is quite often done on Multi CPU, (Not multi-core) machines for the reason that video editing is very CPU intensive.

I've seen Quad CPU Proliant Servers that are a few generations old selling for under $1000, which would be a good choice for video editing. Generally, servers are much more robust in build quality than standard consumer grade stuff as servers are designed to run at maximum CPU load continuously, while gaming systems are usually designed to run at max CPU load for several hours a day.

helloarchy
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

01 Apr 2016, 7:30 am

I honestly wouldn't recommend it, you quite simply lack the hardware. With perseverance you might be able to (I question if its even possible), provided your editing software doesn't crash or freeze 2 mins into rendering (due to lack of memory). Your integrated graphics doesn't even have its own memory, relying on the main memory. You're demanding way more from your device than it can offer. I think you would struggle making a 720p movie, let alone 4K.