Most of the time 42%  42%  [ 24 ]
Rarely 40%  40%  [ 23 ]
Never, I've learned to deal with offense 7%  7%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 57

TheAPERSON
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2007, 11:38 am

Being different from neurotypicals, I generally get teased and I am occasionally bullied. So I thought I'd ask, how often do you get bullied, teased or abused in any form. I don't know whether this topic has been done before as I only joined recently but I'll go ahead anyway.

23 Apr 2007, 11:42 am

I don't get bullied anymore because I'm an adult now and there are hardly any adults out there who still do it and at work, people aren't allowed to harasse other employees so I'm good.

Sopho
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2007, 11:44 am

In school I was teased a lot but I was never really bullied, at least not in a physical way or anything. Throughout the majority of school though I was teased. Mainly when I was around 13/14, that was the worst time. I did get pushed under a table and things like that but it was mostly just taking the p*ss out of me because I was weird.
I don't really get it anymore though, people seem a bit more mature about things like that at university.

phenomenon
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

23 Apr 2007, 11:55 am

Yeah I don't think the results for this survey will really accurately reflect on Aspies being bullied...I was bullied FIERCELY, emotionally and physically (things thrown at me, kids pushing/hitting me, etc) up until grade 11 (although by 12th grade I was relatively popular), and I'm not bullied at all now in college (although my coworkers think I'm stupid and sometimes take advantage). I'm not really sure that anyone not still in school will put that they are frequently bullied now (barring special exceptions), since that's really something that can't be legally controlled in adolescence, etc but is more unacceptable in the adult world.

Alternative
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2007, 12:35 pm

I've been bullied since I was 9. It's died down now. I get social rejection now.

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2007, 1:02 pm

I was bullied a whole lot all the way through school..now that I am an adult, it seldom happens, and i have zero tolerance for it.

Xan
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 Apr 2007, 4:32 pm

i used to be bullied a lot when i was younger. but i started working out and going to the gym a lot, and my bullies kinfda stoped when they realised that i was bigger then them.

richie
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

23 Apr 2007, 4:37 pm

poopylungstuffing wrote:
I was bullied a whole lot all the way through school..now that I am an adult, it seldom happens, and i have zero tolerance for it.

The last time any one gave me a hard time was 30 years ago when I was still in school,
but once I started earning my own way, I learned I don't have to take crap from anyone,
anytime, anymore.

Acerimmer1
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

23 Apr 2007, 4:57 pm

Xan wrote:
i used to be bullied a lot when i was younger. but i started working out and going to the gym a lot, and my bullies kinfda stoped when they realised that i was bigger then them.

Same here 8) When i was 18 (just before it was real obvious how strong I had gotten) this guy who thought he was the sh"t tried to headbutt me as I picked him off the ground. Of course he couldn't because I held him away from my body. Still makes me feel like laughing now. He looked so stupid, I even met people from my school years later and they say "hey remember when you Picked Kevin up and he tried to headbutt you". Tooo Funny. Looked like a fish on the floor of a trawler!

Xan
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 Apr 2007, 6:54 pm

i never actually confronted anyone but once when i was working out a couple of the bullys came inn to the gym and i was benching al ot more then them, i think they kinda understood that picking on my migth not be the best idea then.

hyper_alien
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2007, 7:53 pm

Been bullied and abused most of my life only recently has the crap started to stop properly

9CatMom
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2007, 8:36 pm

I was bullied frequently in junior high, but things got much better in high school, after I changed school environments.

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

23 Apr 2007, 9:05 pm

well since im not going to school rarely. whe i was in school though i was pretty much bullied from elementary until i left highschool

ChrissandraChrissamba
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2007, 9:35 pm

This girl at my school used to talk in a stupid voice whenever she was around me. She was making fun of my soft voice and my accent, which is a cross between a British accent and an American accent. I also used to get teased for walking on my toes which made my butt stick out.

Wolfpup
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2007, 10:58 pm

Should we be answering for "ever" in our life? Or right now?

Because I haven't really been bullied (certainlly not physically) for my entire adulthood, but I was bullied/picked on a LOT in school.

Technically I'd have to answer "Never" if it's just for right now, but I'd pick "Most of the Time" if I was talking about school. There were kids below me on the pecking order, but it was still more than enough to scare me, and make my life miserable a lot of the time (and this was in a really good school district). Got worse after we moved and I lost all my friends.

ADoyle
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2007, 11:19 pm

In elementary and the first year of middle school I was bullied constantly, but it pretty much died down when my family moved. In high school I had a lot of friends who were band and debate geeks, so there wasn't much teasing going on. As an adult, people are more accepting of those who are different, and harassment of any kind isn't tolerated in the workplace.