Why many people who are professional musicians are annoying

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Neo Redpill 101
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

02 Apr 2016, 8:17 am

I have always loved music and I often listen to music, discover new music online, taught myself guitar and some piano, music software. The problem is since I enjoy making music by myself and it is a passion of mine, it really pisses me off when certain musicians act like they are superior to others. For example, when I took a music course, the professor had this high and mighty attitude toward me for no reason. One of the homework assignments was to write a composition and record it using software and he although he liked my composition a lot, he acted like he was better than me just because he can read music and I can't? I'm on the spectrum so it is really difficult and troublesome for me to try to read music. I'm able to compose many styles of music just fine without needing to know how to read music, so what is the f*****g problem? Another thing that pisses me off is that pretty much every music university on the planet seems to require that someone knows how to play songs that other people composed to be accepted. Why aren't there any schools that allow people to submit music they composed themselves? It doesn't make any goddamn sense. I made a CD of great music while I was working at a music studio and they just walked all over me. They never even took 30 f*****g seconds to listen to just one of my songs. I was basically the guy that had to serve the f*****g coffee or clean the f*****g restrooms. I'm so tired of people being so sh***y to me no matter where I go.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2016, 8:38 am

I see three issues.

First, there is such a glut of musical talent that the only steady job that most professional musicians can get is that of musical instructor, which only serves to increase the competition within the music industry... in order to make a living with music, most professionals are turning to providing music lessons for amateurs, thus creating more musicians to compete with for pay.

The second issue I see is that you haven't yet "paid your dues" - that is, you haven't yet shown your professional chops by performing in public, whether it's soloing in a concert hall or busking on the street. You need to build up a respectable portfolio of performances before professional musicians will give you even a grudgingly small amount of respect.

The third issue I see is jealousy. The band and choir teachers from my high school never showed any respect for musicians that showed any real talent, unless those teachers could showcase that talent as products of their own teaching. A cover band making $500 per weekend gig was not worthy of their respect, but a student who could perform classical music on command was always their "pet" student (albeit still not worthy of any real respect).

So if you want to earn the respect of those instructors, don't just make a CD of your own compositions, go out and perform some of the classics. That will show them that you are a "serious" student of music, and not just (to them) another rebellious hack trying to make a name for himself.

Good luck.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

drlaugh
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2016, 12:42 pm

People of all talents can be annoying.

I had a love hate relationship with my harp teacher.

Music and show business - both have a business side.

Play, compose share
Repeat
Practice

Gig and you to can
Drive your expensive equipment to a $100 gig in your 900$ car.

I'm a music in my head -rather than read. I have played for 40 plus years with students to season professional. It was not my finest work that ended up on national television but it have me street cred with certain folks.

I hope you love what you do. It will help get you through the annoyances.
Perhaps it will inspire a few symphonies. 8) 8) 8)

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2016, 12:02 am

it has been my experience, more often than not, that talented folks tend to be rather full of themselves.

SuSaNnA
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

05 Feb 2018, 3:29 pm

To be honest, why would you join a proper music course without knowing how to read music?
How do you even study music theory without knowing how to read music?

Secondly, why is being on the spectrum difficult for reading music?
I mean, I am on the spectrum, and I never found reading music difficult.

I teach piano in real life and charge real cash, fyi.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2018, 11:32 pm

As far as any of the arts are concerned, if you think you're the worst at what you do the point of feeling inferior to everyone else in your field, you probably really aren't. And if you think you're the absolute best at what you do to the point of denigrating everyone else, you very probably aren't.

Embla
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 Feb 2018, 1:26 am

I agree that a lot of artists have a little too high of an opinion of themselves. Especially when it comes to the performing arts, like music or acting. But there's probably a pretty good reason for it too. The competition in the art-business is one of the toughest there is, so to make it you either have to be extremely talented, or, more commonly, you have to be the kind of person that can elbow your way through, and also enjoy being the center of attention. So naturally, you're going to find a lot of arrogance there. Being kind and humble won't take you far in the music business.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2018, 1:52 am

in this hellworld, the kind and humble are stuck near the bottom of the totem pole.

PhosphorusDecree
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2018, 3:22 pm

Another reason- because music as a profession is so brutally competitive, the people who succeed in it tend to be really, really good at self promotion. Which often means self-centred and pushy.