Having Children While Both Parents Are on the Spectrum?

Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ] 

angelsandthieves
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

03 Apr 2016, 2:12 pm

I was dignosed with Asperger's when I was ten years old. My current boyfriend puts up with a lot of my anti-social behavior and is a real sweetheart, although he can come across as clingy at times. We've been dating for over a year now and we recently had the conversation about possibly having children in the future. Although not diagnosed due to his fear of the stigma that surrounds it he believes he may be on the spectrum, and shows a lot of the symptoms of this being true. This has influenced my unsure feelings of us having children as I really don't want to think of any offspring of mine having to go through the same problems I had to deal with and learn to move past as a child.
Are the chances of being born on the sprectrum raised if both parents have a form of it? Am I being selfish to even consider bringing a child into this world to be raised by autisic parents? These are the kinds of things that have really been eating away at me as of late and I would appreciate any input you may have.