Alcohol and Substance Abuse Counselling Thread

Page 43 of 47 [ 742 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47  Next

Aflwydd
Butterfly
Butterfly

07 Oct 2016, 10:49 am

I've had serious self-control problems with alcohol in particular since I started drinking twelve years ago. However, the problems have been almost exclusively in social situations as I very rarely drink on my own. If I do, I am almost always responsible as I am happy enough in my own company most of the time.

It is very hard to spend time in bars if I am not drinking. I can't help but feel really uncomfortable and anxious, and unless I have access to another substance I will not have a good time. Being in my mid 20s where most social activities seem to be structured around bars and alcohol (especially in UK), my only solution right now is to hide myself away. Only when I seclude myself am I able to keep a lid on these problems.

People seem to think it's a case of 'just drink less' as if I'm not intelligent enough to perceive that drinking too much may be the problem. Alcohol impairs my ability to control myself and once I get that positive, sociable feeling from it, the game is up. I don't think a lot of people understand that when you never feel like that in a sober state, the feeling is addictive in its novelty. No amount of CBT is going to change that.

C2V
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2016, 3:41 am

Ugh, had the compulsion to get shitfaced tonight because no one else is in the house.
So yeah, that doesn't seem to be going away.
Nowhere near dumb enough to actually do it, but I still don't like that compulsion coming back to haunt me out of left field like that. Ew.

Flown
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2016, 10:49 am

C2V wrote:
Ugh, had the compulsion to get shitfaced tonight because no one else is in the house.
So yeah, that doesn't seem to be going away.
Nowhere near dumb enough to actually do it, but I still don't like that compulsion coming back to haunt me out of left field like that. Ew.

I don't know if that ever FULLY goes away, but it does get better with time. I still have dreams about drinking my favorite mixed drink, and I physically become uncomfortable when liquor commercials come on.

It is really wonderful that you didn't give in to your compulsion!! You should be proud!

drlaugh
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2016, 11:21 am

Finding underlying causes and conditions some day is important.
Otherwise one switches to other things such as Gambling, other chemicals including food addiction.

It's sort of like switching deck chairs on the Titanic.

Uncover
Discover
Recover.

It's usually a cork screw or up and down rather than a strait line up.

There are acute and post acute(in old school terms) times that can be pink cloudish to raging Hulk.
In between can come sarcasm and rambling in speech and chat rooms

Last line was my attempt at humor. (Many days off with the get to be there for my F. I. L. attitude).

There is a counting App that some use to keep track of there minutes, days, weeks and years clean. 8O :arrow:
:arrow:

dcj123
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2016, 3:31 am

Well I didn't want to post here but...

Getting off weed in a few days, Sunday to be exact and it will be forever, staying completely high in the meantime. I don't like this thread cause I don't like AA or anything anti drug really but since you only quit once. I am curious at what point something becomes an addiction or "abusive". Shooting up everyday is obviously not a good idea and I know because I did it but was the substance bad or was the fact I was escaping reality bad? What am I doing? Why am I getting high? Does it treat anxiety or does it mask it? Furthermore, what if I stop and everything is worse. What if life sucks on drugs and life sucks even harder off drugs? Is drug use a "bad" thing... always... When does medical drugs stop being "good" and become "bad". This is not made easier with the fact that I would frankly pull the trigger on myself if I had the means. Should I stay high and work on that issue or risk killing myself when there is no reason to live? Are drugs a reason to live? What if drugs are actually a reason to live? What if the last bit of joy you have is escaping how horrible everything is? What if everyday is pain and you go to bed at night and there is more pain. What if your life just f*****g sucks? Then what do you do? I have been on drugs and I haven't accomplished a damn thing and when I was off drugs, I accomplished a lot in the death and destruction department.

Those options both look like s**t...

dcj123
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2016, 4:09 am

okay...

Honesty mode activated, if I am going to post the above, might as well, I am some what scared to get off drugs to be honest. I have been so depressed and suicidal that I am worried it'll send me over the edge. I have a system of misery that works and I don't know that it'll work sober. I cry everyday, I am terrified of people to be honest. I have never been able to function and I don't on drugs to be clear but I care less enough to function on a broken level high. If I am sober, people might expect more of me, I don't think I can deliver...

Drugs don't make me stupid, I am already stupid.

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2016, 8:22 am

dcj123 wrote:
I don't like this thread cause I don't like AA or anything anti-drug...

Just so you know: A.A. and N.A. are not anti-drug. We who have recovered do not ever say "Don't use." Instead, our recovery program is for people who *want* to stop but cannot...and I suspect that might prove to be your case just as it once was mine.

dcj123 wrote:
I am curious at what point something becomes an addiction or "abusive".

An addiction can be a mental-emotional obsession for the effect of something and/or a physical craving for the actual something. It is physical addiction when the body physically craves a substance when it is absent, and recovery is about treating the mental-emotional obsession for the effect of a given substance whether or not the body is physically addicted. As to abuse: That typically amounts to using someone or something beyond safe limits or a given social norm.

dcj123 wrote:
...was the substance bad or was the fact I was escaping reality bad? What am I doing? Why am I getting high? Does it treat anxiety or does it mask it?

Drinking or using for the effect is not always bad, but yes, the effect is typically just masking something rather than actually solving the problem driving the desire or obsession for the effect.

dcj123 wrote:
Furthermore, what if I stop and everything is worse. What if life sucks on drugs and life sucks even harder off drugs?

That is quite likely going to be what happens. In my own case, I had come to a point where I could live neither with it nor without it...and there is where the Twelve Steps came into play for me so I could find a new way to live without needing the effect of a substance.

dcj123 wrote:
What if the last bit of joy you have is escaping how horrible everything is? What if everyday is pain and you go to bed at night and there is more pain. What if your life just f*****g sucks? Then what do you do?

There is where I was when I began taking the Twelve Steps.

dcj123 wrote:
I have been so depressed and suicidal that I am worried it'll send me over the edge. I have a system of misery that works and I don't know that it'll work sober.

I definitely understand that! I used to drink to preserve my sanity and to keep from going over that edge.

What kind of "God issues" might you have?

dcj123
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2016, 1:24 pm

That yielded better results then I thought, it kind of occurred to me that I probably pissed some people off posting that high as kite. For the record I am not now but will be soon. You actually probably don't want to know what issues I have but God and me don't get along too great. I guess I feel I am not good enough since I have gotten some pretty clear messages that I am not well liked. I guess I just hope for the best. Also I don't know that I believe in God anyway in the traditional sense. Everyone just kind of modifies the idea of God to their liking and its pretty sickening. Your post makes sense I guess, I actually never really paid support much mind and now that I think about it, I don't even think I ever went to AA or NA sober.

Let me think some and I'll be back (sober sorry, it literally just slipped my mind last night).

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2016, 2:10 pm

dcj123 wrote:
You actually probably don't want to know what issues I have but God and me don't get along too great...
Also I don't know that I believe in God anyway in the traditional sense.

There is actually no need for me to know what "God issues" you might have, and here is why I had even asked:

"We needed to ask ourselves but one short question. 'Do I now believe, or am I even willing to believe, that there is a Power greater than myself?' As soon as a man can say that he does believe, or is willing to believe, we emphatically assure him that he is on his way. It has been repeatedly proven among us that upon this simple cornerstone a wonderfully effective spiritual structure can be built." ("A.A.", page 47)

And if you might have trouble even with that, then would you at least be willing to believe I happen to believe there is a power beyond any human power...and then would you also be willing to take some specific action to find out for yourself?

My point: A.A.'s Step Two is *not* a theological exercise. It is nothing more than only what I have mentioned here: Willing to believe there is a Power greater than ourselves.

The alternative? Insist there is not and then see what happens while relying upon human power.

dcj123
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2016, 4:17 pm

Actually what would help me greatly (I am sober don't worry) since I have been asked what people online can do before is for someone to define a very clear line between wanting to stop but not being able to. I can stop with great ease but I don't want to and I feel conflicted about it use. At the very least socially. So yes I can stop and have done so but life usually does get worse but when I use its still bad. I have been using daily and things are horrible so I start thinking maybe I don't need to be high and then I am not high and things are... horrible. So I am dealing with emotional pain and stuff with drug use and I don't know that this is great combo plus I have isolation.

I cry sober and high... Life is empty sober and high...

I just don't know how to feel, I am setting a limit pass this year which has never been a problem, once the decision is I made, I can stop and have even thrown drugs away (which I'll probably do). I am going into this conflicted, I feel I'll probably have a bad time giving how depressed I have been and I feel I have nothing to fall back on.

dcj123
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2016, 4:28 pm

Wow I see a pattern...

Anxiety / Low self esteem / PTSD / Life is horrible -> No hope -> Suicidal thoughts -> Drug use -> Getting by -> More suicidal thoughts -> Fear from said thoughts -> Sober -> Repeat

Its not a long term solution is it?

Aspinator
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2016, 4:41 pm

I feel HFAs are extremely susceptible to drug and alcohol abuse. I fell into that rut trying to be accepted by others. When I was in the midst of my addictive behavior; if someone had tried to tell me anything I would have told them to fxxx off and mind their own business. I guess the gist of what I'm saying is you have to reach that point by yourself and you have to decide if you do/do not want that type of life style.

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2016, 4:48 pm

I stopped using drugs about 2 1/2 years ago. I still drink, but I've cut that down a lot. I have one or two cans of beer at night to help me stay asleep. (Bipolar is a b***h and makes it hard to get more than 2 hours of sleep at night). With the beer I can get 4 to 6 hours of sleep. Without it, just two hours. I do take Gabapentin for sleep, and it does work, but it seems I always require a little help.

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2016, 6:45 pm

dcj123 wrote:
...define a very clear line between wanting to stop but not being able to.

Someone who is physically ill might want to stop vomiting, for example, but...

"...assuming, of course, that the reader desires to stop...depends upon the extent to which he has already lost the power to choose... There was a tremendous urge to cease forever. Yet we found it impossible...the baffling feature of alcoholism as we know it - this utter inability to leave it alone, no matter how great the necessity or the wish." ("A.A.", page 34)

dcj123 wrote:
I can stop with great ease...

For how long, and then what happens?

dcj123 wrote:
...life usually does get worse...so I start thinking maybe I don't need to be high and then I am not high and things are... horrible...

I cry sober and high... Life is empty sober and high...

...nothing to fall back on.

Exactly, and that is why we end up saying we cannot live either with it or without it...and then that is also when permanent recovery through spiritual means can begin looking really good.

dtoxic2
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

10 Feb 2017, 6:44 pm

I'd like to start by congratulating those who have reached a sobriety milestone.
To dcj: I'm familiar with the "cry high or sober, feel empty high or sober" dynamic. What I discovered was that the damage done by drug/alcohol use heals slowly, so a long period of depressed/anxious/empty sobriety must be endured before the brain can get back to a state in which happiness (or even equanimity) is possible. That long period is obviously extremely difficult to endure, as the usual antidote to the depression is to jump off the wagon. It took me four serious tries to get sober. (I hit 20 years last December.)
It took 2 years to feel like a normal human (a level of emotional stability I had not known since before drinking). The first year got me 90% of the way there. The first six months of sobriety sucked - gray, depressing days without motivation or purpose. Of those, the first three months sucked the hardest - instability, depression, rage, etc. And of course the first couple of weeks were a living nightmare.
Obviously this is bad news - things will get worse before they get better. But it's the only chance to reach a better plateau, by first descending into darker places.
I suggest getting help. IT IS POSSIBLE.
I was an atheist when I quit, and had the same difficulty "surrendering" to a "higher power" that AA speaks of. But the truth is that AA/NA is full of good people and can work even if you don't fully buy into a religion. (Full disclosure, I didn't do the 12 steps, I mostly toughed it out on my own and rarely attended meetings. Friends of mine have successfully gotten and stayed sober with the AA program.)

nurseangela
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2017, 7:07 pm

dtoxic2 wrote:
I'd like to start by congratulating those who have reached a sobriety milestone.
To dcj: I'm familiar with the "cry high or sober, feel empty high or sober" dynamic. What I discovered was that the damage done by drug/alcohol use heals slowly, so a long period of depressed/anxious/empty sobriety must be endured before the brain can get back to a state in which happiness (or even equanimity) is possible. That long period is obviously extremely difficult to endure, as the usual antidote to the depression is to jump off the wagon. It took me four serious tries to get sober. (I hit 20 years last December.)
It took 2 years to feel like a normal human (a level of emotional stability I had not known since before drinking). The first year got me 90% of the way there. The first six months of sobriety sucked - gray, depressing days without motivation or purpose. Of those, the first three months sucked the hardest - instability, depression, rage, etc. And of course the first couple of weeks were a living nightmare.
Obviously this is bad news - things will get worse before they get better. But it's the only chance to reach a better plateau, by first descending into darker places.
I suggest getting help. IT IS POSSIBLE.
I was an atheist when I quit, and had the same difficulty "surrendering" to a "higher power" that AA speaks of. But the truth is that AA/NA is full of good people and can work even if you don't fully buy into a religion. (Full disclosure, I didn't do the 12 steps, I mostly toughed it out on my own and rarely attended meetings. Friends of mine have successfully gotten and stayed sober with the AA program.)

Woo Hoo! :mrgreen:

It's actually going to be 10 months for me on Valentine's Day! I just bought some chocolate cookies and frosted sugar cookies for V Day. I've had a couple times when I thought about a drink when I couldn't sleep (which would be more than one) , but I really don't want to go back to the gastric issues I was having. The other day, I dusted off an unopened wine bottle that I still have. That's a good sign. :mrgreen: I have had a problem of spending more since I stopped alcohol, so now I'm trying to get that in control. I watch some shows to keep me on track like "Intervention" and "Dr. Drew Rehab" that I find informative and inspirational. Not to change this thread into political, but being that Trump has never had a drink (his brother died of alcoholism) and seeing how much he has accomplished keeps me on track. I've also taken care of alcoholics through all stages and it isn't a pleasant way to go.

Congrats on your sobriety. :mrgreen:

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 83 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 153 of 200 You are very likely neurotypical
Darn, I flunked.