Page 2 of 2 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2007, 10:50 am

I don't quite feel comfortable with even calling myself an Aspie because I am not diagnosed..(i just have a bunch of Aspie symptoms) and I sorta feel like I belong here...

um...

I likethe ukranian easter eggs story...it reminds me of how I started sewing sock monkeys at the age of 26...I was really off the deep end...living in a little rented room....no decent direction in my life..serious depression..few friends...all this other dumb stuff...The only thing I had were these obsessive projects I would work on...putting together "theme concerts"...(where I think people humored me..even though they thought I was out of my mind...)
and um..i started sewing sock creatures...and all of a sudden they took over my whole life...and people liked me for them...I participated in art crawls...and went around the country in a band sewing and displaying them...and even sorta wound up with a boyfriend because of them...(though that is a long, drama ridden tale)...anyway...sock creatures more or less changed my life..I think...

thats what the ukranian easter eggs story reminds me of.

bizarre
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2007, 11:54 am

TheMachine1 wrote:
jimservo wrote:
Hmm...It seems, I don't know, maybe that a most of people on the board have come to embrace Asperger's in a way as a sort of identity, and an essentially portion of their what they are and how they represent themselves. I guess looking back I have always just looked as an affliction, and something that I happen to have (not that it isn't important).

Thoughts?

Oh no another victim of the "I do not belong sensation". Join the club because feeling
like you do not belong is core feature of aspergers. The perception that most others some how embrace it is just a product of your mind and not reality.

Maybe jimservo knows what he is talking about and maybe you are the one who is out of touch with reality.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2007, 11:56 am

That's how I've felt, the past two months. I've found my way at WP, once again. 8)

TheMachine1
Veteran
Veteran

Location: 9099 will be my last post...what the hell 9011 will be.

24 Apr 2007, 12:16 pm

bizarre wrote:
TheMachine1 wrote:
jimservo wrote:
Hmm...It seems, I don't know, maybe that a most of people on the board have come to embrace Asperger's in a way as a sort of identity, and an essentially portion of their what they are and how they represent themselves. I guess looking back I have always just looked as an affliction, and something that I happen to have (not that it isn't important).

Thoughts?

Oh no another victim of the "I do not belong sensation". Join the club because feeling
like you do not belong is core feature of aspergers. The perception that most others some how embrace it is just a product of your mind and not reality.

Maybe jimservo knows what he is talking about and maybe you are the one who is out of touch with reality.

I feel just like Jimservo in not feeling I belong and that I am functioning at a different level than most here. There is no disagreement with me and Jimservo on that.
My point is thats has to be a near universial feeling amoung aspies on WP.

JonnyBGoode
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2007, 12:24 pm

We are the Aspies. You will be assimilated. Resistance is futile.

Apatura
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2007, 12:33 pm

Earthcalling-- was your mother ever featured on a children's show? I once saw a Ukrainian egg artist on a children's show (can't remember which one). She was amazing.

TheMachine1
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2007, 12:35 pm

JonnyBGoode wrote:
We are the Aspies. You will be assimilated. Resistance is futile.

Realistically the Borg is how an aspie organization could work and make all the members feel they belonged. Aspies would be willing to join the Borg in large numbers.
My theory on evolution is self-replicating machines are the next step in evolution so if
mankind is going to be part of that he will have to interface with the machines.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2007, 12:38 pm

I've wormed my way back into this massive group of wonderful individuals. :)

jimservo
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2007, 12:45 pm

bizarre wrote:

I appreciate the sentiment but I don't want this to have this topic turn to negative.

I think my initial post might have left the impression I was somehow leaving blame. Hopefully, I have cleared that up.

It is to fair to say that no person is going to fit into any group completely, although some will fit in better then others.

EarthCalling
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2007, 1:49 pm

Quote:
Earthcalling-- was your mother ever featured on a children's show? I once saw a Ukrainian egg artist on a children's show (can't remember which one). She was amazing.

No she was not.

The thing is, I suspect that a lot of women that get heavy into this craft actually are on the ASD spectrum, or just a notch off it. If you knew anything about how it is done, the 100,000 hours or so it takes to perfect the pouring of wax percicely onto a dyed egg shell, the geometric percision you just have to have an inherent "instinct' with, very few NT's could do it! I imagine there may a few people out there with my mothers skill, but she is definately in the top percentile of "egg artists"!

I remember once she brought an emu egg she carved to a Walmart portrit studio to have it "photographed"! Now that was a funny day!

TheMachine1
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2007, 8:08 pm

jimservo wrote:
I think my initial post might have left the impression I was somehow leaving blame. Hopefully, I have cleared that up.

Yeah sorry if I gave the impression I was attacking you. My point was you were just another aspie publicly stating what I have observed here many times. Aspie largely see themselves on the outside. Its just part of the condition.

DoubleFeed
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

24 Apr 2007, 8:35 pm

TheMachine1 wrote:
jimservo wrote:

Thoughts?

Actually, it is a product of several Aspie Pride threads which have been floating around.

BazzaMcKenzie
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2007, 9:08 pm

jimservo wrote:
Hmm...It seems, ... people on the board have come to embrace Asperger's in a way as a sort of identity, and an essentially portion of their what they are and how they represent themselves. I guess looking back I have always just looked as an affliction, and something that I happen to have (not that it isn't important).

Thoughts?

Have you grown up have the Dx hanging over you (you are 23 - 24 now?) ?

I think its different you younger people who have grwon up with a label and for those who are older or didn't have any label, just knowing they were not on the right planet and doing their best.

If you have always been told you are AS .... it may become your identity, or something to grasp as some emotional security (excuse?).

Zhaozhou
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Apr 2007, 6:23 am

DoubleFeed wrote:
Actually, it is a product of several Aspie Pride threads which have been floating around.

Why don't we just announce the Lesser Aspie Pride? 8)