Page 2 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Smelena
Cure Neurotypicals Now!
Cure Neurotypicals Now!

27 Apr 2007, 5:39 pm

Here is Plan B if Plan A (IEP + C.B.T.) doesn't work.

http://www.uq.net.au/~zzpcs/press.html#top

Anyone have an opinion? I like the bit about the student using their interests to study the curriculum

DingoDv
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2007, 6:01 pm

If I were 14 years younger and lived on the other side of the planet, I would insist that I went :)

For some reason it reminds me of my dad's school, and I can't think why, there not similiar at all...

Smelena
Cure Neurotypicals Now!
Cure Neurotypicals Now!

27 Apr 2007, 6:11 pm

DingoDv wrote:
If I were 14 years younger and lived on the other side of the planet, I would insist that I went :)

Thanks DingoDv. I've contacted the school and will visit there next week.

I will take Daniel for a visit on a homeschooling day. If he says anything spontaneous like "I want to go to this school", and I'm happy then

... it will be time for me to battle my husband to let him go. :wink:

EarthCalling
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2007, 6:52 pm

I would do it in a minute! If you have the resources to do this, I can't help but think it is the best situation for him! You may find that you are sending your older child too though!

If your husband thinks that it is "flakey" then look up the Sudbury School Model. Again, I think at a proper Sudbury school, children can thrive, but they have no cirriculum, kids only explore their interests, and if they want to do nothing, then that is what they do, absolutely nothing! In addition, the kids student council can over rule the parents, so if they want to swear their heads off, as long as the student council votes it is ok, then it is ok...

Smelena
Cure Neurotypicals Now!
Cure Neurotypicals Now!

30 Apr 2007, 4:27 am

The smaller school I was interested in has no places and there is a looong waiting list :cry:

Oh well, back to Plan A.

EarthCalling
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2007, 7:09 am

How long? Did you put yourself on it?

Mum2K-9
Butterfly
Butterfly

13 May 2007, 1:24 pm

Hi this the 1st time I have posted, but after reading all the issues on this thread it just sounds like my son. He suffers great anxiety and emotional outbursts. He suffers headaches, stomach aches, there is a lot more but he comes on this site and reads the forums.

He has a dx of aspergers since he was 9 and he is now 11 years old.

I am at the school all the time about his disorganision, about him being bullied and everything else that is going on at school for him.

He now refuses to go to school on regular occasions. We have a meeting at the school on 22nd may, the earlist the school can do.

They insist that he copes at school and everything is fine, but they do not have to see how he is when he gets home and the meltdowns he has, what with the sleepwalking, wetting the bed adn soiling his pants.

The school are driving me mad and I seem to be banging my head on a brick wall everyway I turn, with no support from anyone. All I want is for my child to have a happy and rewarding childhood that everyone should deserve.

Sorry about the rant, but reading this post just got my blood boiling again.

Hope everything goes well for you and that plan A works.

Fiona (mum2K-9)

EarthCalling
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2007, 10:26 pm

Welcome!

I am not sure if you started a separate thread about this or not, but I know Smelena won't mind you having a good rant here!

I would suggest pulling him out until the meeting if you can manage it. I pulled my son out when he was being bullied. That MADE them pay attention to me; as they would not get funding for him until his butt was back in a chair.

Keep a journal at the very least of what life at home is like, in regards to school. Document the meltdowns, the resistance to go to school, what he says. In the heat of a conversation, it can be hard to remember stuff, but if you have a book, which says "everyday he has a major issue with school, either in going or in decompressing from it LOOK! This is what life at home is like for us!"

It may help a lot!

Mum2K-9
Butterfly
Butterfly

14 May 2007, 3:38 pm

Thanks earthcalling. I am keeping a diary and tonight have just printed off a bully log, for son to fill in. Sorry if i have messed up the thread. Thats my other issue the school wont support me about a statement, and i am very worried that things will get worse when he starts secondary school. Anyway thanks again. :D

EarthCalling
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2007, 4:10 pm

Mum2K-9 wrote:
Thanks earthcalling. I am keeping a diary and tonight have just printed off a bully log, for son to fill in. Sorry if i have messed up the thread. Thats my other issue the school wont support me about a statement, and i am very worried that things will get worse when he starts secondary school. Anyway thanks again. :D

By statement do you mean the bully log? I ran into the same red tape. I thought it would be really helpful to document situations and allow everyone to give their input, documenting their understanding of what the altercation involved, what my son should have done, what he did do, etc. So lets just say he had a problem and tells me, we document it, and send it off to the teachers, who can then give the other side of the story, and he could learn if what he did in response to it was appropreate, what he may had done to cause the incident, and what he could do in the future to avoid or lesson the problem.

The school has constructively dismissed such an idea, I think they don't want anything in writting, afraid it can be used against them in the future. However, my son now does have a strong advocate in the Vice Principle who is fantastic with him, and does a lot of work to get the full story. I am just happy we now have an "acceptable" solution for everyone, talking through teachers was useless...

Mum2K-9
Butterfly
Butterfly

15 May 2007, 2:53 pm

Sorry I meant a statement of education needs, this is when the education authority get involved and my son should receive some time with a special needs teacher to help him in social situations and help in organising his time and work at school.

I am glad that you have found backup in the vice principle, my sons headteacher is also a problem and does not want to know.

thanks for the support, its good to talk to people that know how our children feel and what a struggle it is for them (and the parents!! !)

EarthCalling
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2007, 3:42 pm

Mum2K-9 wrote:
Sorry I meant a statement of education needs, this is when the education authority get involved and my son should receive some time with a special needs teacher to help him in social situations and help in organising his time and work at school.

I am glad that you have found backup in the vice principle, my sons headteacher is also a problem and does not want to know.

thanks for the support, its good to talk to people that know how our children feel and what a struggle it is for them (and the parents!! !)

I posted some info on another thread you may find helpful with helping with organizing...

http://www.wrongplanet.net/modules.php? ... ic&t=33215

It is sort of long though, my appologies in advance!

Smelena
Cure Neurotypicals Now!
Cure Neurotypicals Now!

15 May 2007, 7:46 pm

EarthCalling wrote:
How long? Did you put yourself on it?

How long: years
Did I put myself on it: they wouldn't let me. Said to call 1/year. Said it's unlikely he'll get in for years (school only has 30 places and gives first preference to younger siblings and currently has kids going there with lots of younger siblings).

Smelena
Cure Neurotypicals Now!
Cure Neurotypicals Now!

15 May 2007, 7:54 pm

Mum2K-9 wrote:
I am at the school all the time about his disorganision, about him being bullied and everything else that is going on at school for him.

They insist that he copes at school and everything is fine, but they do not have to see how he is when he gets home

The school are driving me mad and I seem to be banging my head on a brick wall everyway I turn, with no support from anyone. All I want is for my child to have a happy and rewarding childhood that everyone should deserve.

Sorry about the rant, but reading this post just got my blood boiling again.

Hello Fiona,

I got so frustrated that I've stopped phoning the school. Promises are made and never kept.

I now do all communication via e-mail and I cc everything to the classroom teacher, special ed teacher, guidance officer and vice principal.

I e-mail 1-2 per day. I figure this is an ongoing diary for them to know what's going on and it's a record for me (I type much faster than I write and can easily print stuff out.)

Since I've changed to e-mail system more things are getting done (not all, but it's a start).

My 7 year old is getting more of the help he needs from the school. (We take him to 1/week psychology and homeschool him 1/week)

My 8 year old is another story (we strongly suspect he is an aspie - diagnostic assessment 10 days away). They insist he is fine at school so do nothing. In the meantime he is having major meltdowns everyday after school saying he's got no friends and everybody hates him. He gets so angry - even if he is not diagnosed with Asperger's we need help desperately for him.

My 8year old told me he had an 'angry' episode at school at lunchtime. He told me his friends were amazed by how angry he was and haven't played with him since. I told the school but they have not investigated (despite me asking/begging) because 'he's fine'. That was 2 weeks ago.

Sigh - at least we have the appointment soon.

Kilroy
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2007, 7:59 pm

all that sounds so familiar to me...aound when I was thir age people began to realise I was different-the school assumed I had ADD as did my parents... :roll: and this was thought until I was 12-13...when things took many dives and I had many meltdowns
it was the school who figured out I was an aspie not lazy...
I was told I was on an IEP was got the same treatment as everyone else-except I was put in the slow learners class for one period :roll: but schools are stupid-and my parents don't get it

seems like you get it Smelena-and your sons will have the benifits of such :)