I think I've found a way to treat my sensory overstimulation

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

mikewhateverm
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

08 Apr 2016, 7:13 am

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18174562

Basically says that some forms of sensory overstimulation are treatable with the consumption of potassium. I started eating less sodium-rich foods and more potassium-rich foods, and I feel much better. I don't think this will work for everyone, but it's worth trying.

mikewhateverm
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

08 Apr 2016, 3:56 pm

Anyone want to comment?

Whispers
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

08 Apr 2016, 4:16 pm

How many bananas you have to eat to get significative amounts of potassium??? doesn't sound so convincing to me.

From childhood’s hour I have not been as others were—I have not seen as others saw—I could not bring my passions from a common spring— From the same source I have not taken my sorrow—I could not awaken my heart to joy at the same tone—
And all I lov’d—I lov’d alone.
E. A. Poe

mikewhateverm
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

08 Apr 2016, 4:29 pm

Whispers wrote:
How many bananas you have to eat to get significative amounts of potassium??? doesn't sound so convincing to me.

One banana contains 10% of daily potassium, so if you eat one and wait, you will feel significant effects. At least that's how it was for me https://www.google.com/#q=potassium+in+a+banana

Whispers
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

08 Apr 2016, 4:31 pm

I'll read carefully the paper. Now I need a rest, I've been the whole day working and studying. Thanks for sharing.

From childhood’s hour I have not been as others were—I have not seen as others saw—I could not bring my passions from a common spring— From the same source I have not taken my sorrow—I could not awaken my heart to joy at the same tone—
And all I lov’d—I lov’d alone.
E. A. Poe

Edenthiel
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2016, 5:18 pm

That study from 2007 is also mentioned in, "Autism Spectrum Disorders Through the Life Span".

Here's a more recent update:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4345917/

The authors propose the creation of an autistic subtype, those who have motor delay, praxis impairment, gait abnormalities, insomnia, and epilepsy (all of which may be caused by or negatively affected by mal-coded potassium gates in their nerves).

Also,

"The interesting thing about potassium in the human body is that it relies on another electrolyte, magnesium. Without sufficient magnesium, the body cannot maintain an adequate level of potassium. This is why supplements normally contain both potassium and magnesium. A problem with both potassium and magnesium is that they very easily upset the stomach, indeed some laxatives are based on magnesium."

So, if you are going to play around with potassium, be careful and knowledgeable. Also, it is possible to overdose.

Personally, I'm on a potassium uptake blocker that I can safely skip or overlap doses. I'll play 'round with it and see if there are any correlations, especially since I have a history of being slightly resistant to lidocaine, as mentioned in the study.

mummymunt
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

09 Apr 2016, 3:19 am

Without reading the study at all, I will say that I frequently have at least one banana smoothie per day, each containing an entire banana, and don't notice any difference afterwards. I'm about to have one now, so we'll see :)

Alphabetania
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2016, 3:45 pm

You are on the right track, but there is more to it... you will find further details towards the end of this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cw1dEj6A4ro