Does anyone else suffer from palilalia?

Page 3 of 3 [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

markaudette
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2007, 12:49 am

I might repeat somethng but it's not because of a disorder (that I'm aware of...). I will repeat an answer sometimes to simply draw out the conversation a wee bit. Because if I had my druthers, when someone asks me a question, my tendency is to simply answer them and immediately continue walking on.

So someone would say "It's a beautiful day out here today."

And I would answer "Yep, yep, yep. Sure is." The yep, yep, yep is just to string the conversation of for just a weeeee bit longer. To be a little more polite, Otherwise I'd just have responded "Sure is." and kept walking. My response would have lasted 2 seconds. So at least with the yep, yep, yep I'm giving them a 10 second response instead of a kiss-my-ass response of "Sure is."

xboxboy247
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 Apr 2007, 2:07 pm

I studder now and then because I can't pronounce a word.

Like discussing Film and Writing?
Go here! http://fwc.eamped.com/

Save The Internet! It's not going to save itself!
http://www.savetheinternet.com/

agentcyclosarin
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2007, 2:10 pm

xboxboy247 wrote:
I studder now and then because I can't pronounce a word.

I think this is pretty typical for everyone, I do the same.
Or, you know a word but you can't QUITE remember it properly.

sepia
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Apr 2007, 3:47 pm

i do this. i also mouth words to my self because i like to practice the rythmns of the words. if i am grumpy or feeling stressed i make grr noises under my breath. if i am tired sometimes i do not realise that i am doing this audibly until people openly mock me :?

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2007, 5:11 pm

When talking to someone I don't really know about something I will make my point and then rephrase it and then rephrase it again...sometimes...just because I am not very good at conversing and i don't really always know what I should be saying..

I have had NT acquaintances who would repeat themselves over and over again, and I suspect that they do it because a. they enjoy hearing themselves speak...or b. it is important for them to keep the conversation going nonstop...so the conversation will go into reruns...(but that is not the same thing as the topic)

Sometimes when I see cows I will go look..there are cow cow cow cow cow cows!! !
Hello cow cow cow cow cows!! !
Bu that is more for fun..i could really control myself if I wanted to...it is just more fun to say it that way...
I will also say "Hello cat cat cat"...or (i call all female animals this...) Hello missa missa missa missu...

PseudointellectualHorse
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

28 Apr 2007, 6:23 pm

FWIW, Howard Hughes was portrayed as sometimes slipping into this compulsive characteristic in Martin Scorsese's film, "The Aviator".

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0338751/

BugsMom
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Apr 2007, 7:48 pm

twosheds wrote:
I wouldn't call it a problem, just a quirk. I'll sometimes catch myself whispering or subvocalizing something I said 30 seconds or so previously, but I do it subtly enough that it's not apparent to anyone else.

I used to do that when I was younger. I was never even aware of it until my family started making fun of me for doing it.

LindaMom
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

03 Jun 2007, 7:43 am

Thank you for the question. I think my son has Asperger's. He's been repeating his own words under his breath on and off since he was 5. He's 10 now. He has told me that the echoes happen in his head. It doesn't really bother him now, but when he was five, It really distressed him. He went to see a counselor who taught him some meditation techniques which helped him. It's so amazing to me to hear someone else talk about this. Thank you.

9CatMom
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2007, 9:13 am

I do it when talking to my cats. I'll say the name of my cat twice ("Here, Prince-Prince, for example). I also catch myself saying names of people I like. I do this silently, of course.

SteveK
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2007, 9:37 am

I know at times that I have done both. I DO think that repeating the same word is close to and sometimes caused by the same mechanism that causes stuttering which I have ALSO done sometimes. Luckily it has all been so inobvious, and I catch it quick enough that I don't think anyone else even noticed.

Steve