Does anyone else suffer from palilalia?

Page 1 of 3 [ 42 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

paulsinnerchild
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2007, 10:05 pm

You hear of echolalia which is the involutary tendancy to repeat the phrases others, which I do from time to time, but does anyone here suffer from palilalia which I tend do a lot more often than echolalia
That is the repeating of the same word such as if someone asked me "How do feel?" I respond with "OK OK OK" or some people came around to visit I may ask them "would you like a cup of tea, cup of tea". It does not just apply to speaking but sometime when I am writing I may write the same phrase over again and I have to edit it out or use typing correction fluid or cross it out if it is hand writing.

Does anyone else have this problem?

twosheds
Raven
Raven

25 Apr 2007, 10:08 pm

I wouldn't call it a problem, just a quirk. I'll sometimes catch myself whispering or subvocalizing something I said 30 seconds or so previously, but I do it subtly enough that it's not apparent to anyone else.

unnamed
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Apr 2007, 10:19 pm

Yeah, I do it. I can usually keep from repeating it out loud, but the word or phrase will still echo in my head. My AS aunt (mom's sister) does it out loud all the time. My 93-year-old NT grandmother (my dad's mom) and she happen to be friends, and she does it on the phone with Gran all the time and it really confuses her!! :lol:

Chimaera1618
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

25 Apr 2007, 10:55 pm

When I read the subject of this posting, I felt compelled to repeat the word "palilalia" at least 10 times. :)

I do this all the time. I will say something and then repeat it quietly several times, be it a word or an entire phrase. It doesn't bother me. Lately, I've actually become amused by it, which is quite a bit more fun than feeling self conscious.

palilalia!

neongrl
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2007, 1:36 am

I do it all the time. Fortunately I can control it enough that I don't do it out loud in front of other people, I'll just think the words. The more I'm living in my head the more prominent the palilalia is - when there's no one around and I'm obsessively thinking about/analyzing something, I'll compulsively repeat my thoughts over and over (talking to myself).

SamuraiSaxen
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2007, 1:46 am

That sounds like Jacob Two Two, my siblings watched it. My sister said I did it sometimes, but sometimes I couldn't notice it.

Lightning88
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2007, 1:55 am

It sounds like something Ducky from "The Land Before Time" movies has! lol

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2007, 2:29 am

yes yes yes

Lightning88
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2007, 2:30 am

Yep, yep, yep! :D

chairbreak
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

26 Apr 2007, 2:31 am

I don't repeat words out loud, but I do repeat them over and over in my head, sometimes to the point that it interferes with being able to think of anything else.

greenblue
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2007, 2:42 am

Sometimes I do that, when I get a word or phrase or title in my head I repeat it very quietly or just mouthing it and also when writing, let's say I am looking for something on the web and while thinking what to type, I tend to write the word or phrase that I got on my head.

girl7000
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2007, 2:45 am

I have this too, although I have only (in my opinion) a very mild problem with this. It's interesting that you mention writing - I certainly do have this problem when handwriting - although not very often when typing - which is my preferred method for producing writing. In the past I've attributed this to dyslexia and dsypraxia, but as I also had echolalia when I was younger, perhaps it could be a palilalia-type tendency.

Lo
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

26 Apr 2007, 4:24 am

twosheds wrote:
I wouldn't call it a problem, just a quirk. I'll sometimes catch myself whispering or subvocalizing something I said 30 seconds or so previously, but I do it subtly enough that it's not apparent to anyone else.

I do that as well! Sometimes when someone say something that I really identify/agree/sympathise with I go "Yeahyeahyeah!" But I think everyone does that.

Aspie_for_the_Lord
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2007, 5:40 am

i do if its a new word....

and i will also attempt to use the word in convesation for about a week....

lol, im wierd :lol:

Mushroom
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Apr 2007, 5:47 am

No, I used to have it mildly when I was very small. If I DO repeat something I have said nowadays, it's to get peoples' attention (such as "what's the time what's the time what's the time...") or because I forgot I said it a few moments before...

Stevo_the_Human
Raven
Raven

26 Apr 2007, 5:50 am

I started growing a fascination of linguistics, and I've been noticing how I pronounce things, so I repeat myself, pronouncing the phrase in different ways. xD