Microaggressions & The Rise of Victimhood Culture

Page 1 of 8 [ 124 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next

Mikah
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2016, 11:37 am

Another good Black Pigeon video. I'll leave it without comment after the last train wreck thread.

Video summary:

The culture of victimhood that has arisen over the last few years is reaching ridiculous new lows, former victim groups are being stripped of their victimhood because they aren't oppressed enough. cited are a couple of examples of gay men being called homophobic, strident progressives being labeled racists.

This culture has been analysed in the paper "Microaggression and Moral Cultures". The paper hypothesises this new victimhood culture combines two previous styles of culture "Honour Cultures" and "Dignity Cultures", where people are expected to respond to the slightest offense, intentional or not, by appealing aggressively to those with power to punish the offender. This, among other things has created an unhealthy social pressure to identify with a victimised group.

This mentality is in opposition to previously favoured social behaviour to ignore insults, recognise good intentions in those who say offensive things without the deliberate intent to offend and engage in civil discussion with those whom we disagree with.

This "cult" is extremely polarising within society. A person's virtue, whether they are good or evil, is defined by their opinion, not their actions, making disputes and problems impossible to resolve. Any difference of opinion becomes a mental and verbal battle between Luke Skywalker and Darth Vader.

We are indulging in extreme identity politics at a time when the west is undergoing a seismic demographic shift, which could well have disastrous (unspecified, thought not difficult to imagine) consequences.

Last edited by Mikah on 09 Apr 2016, 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GGPViper
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2016, 12:35 pm

oh, goodie... :roll:

Another poster expecting people to spend 15 or more minutes watching asinine YouTube videos... while being too lazy to provide an independent summary himself...

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2016, 12:39 pm

GGPViper wrote:
... Another poster expecting people to spend 15 or more minutes watching asinine YouTube videos ... while being too lazy to provide an independent summary himself...
... or even an explanation as to why the video might even be relevant ...

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Mikah
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2016, 1:26 pm

Quote:
Another poster expecting people to spend 15 or more minutes watching asinine YouTube videos... while being too lazy to provide an independent summary himself...

Updated with summary.

Quote:
... or even an explanation as to why the video might even be relevant ...

Besides this cult pervading almost everything in the news these days, it might have specific relevance to this forum and the controversial topics discussed. My last Black Pigeon thread triggered moderators into deleting it, because I dared to suggest [censored I don't want to be banned just yet]. I was also accused of being a rampant woman hater in the abortion thread.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2016, 1:56 pm

Mikah wrote:
... This culture has been analysed in the paper "Microaggression and Moral Cultures". The paper hypothesises this new victimhood culture combines two previous styles of culture "Honour Cultures" and "Dignity Cultures", where people are expected to respond to the slightest offense, intentional or not, by appealing aggressively to those with power to punish the offender. This, among other things has created an unhealthy social pressure to identify with a victimised group. ...
Well, now ... that would explain why some people will self-diagnose as autistic or having Asperger's syndrome, and then go on a crusade against people who treat them badly ... profit motive from monetary donations notwithstanding ...

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2016, 2:07 pm

Leftism is a cancer that has reached an advanced stage in many segments of western society. Fortunately there are still pockets of healthy tissue even in decayed environments like you find at many colleges. Witness, for example, the clever Oberlin College choir:

(And since a video without a summary causes some people to flip out, I won't include one. :mrgreen:

There Are Four Lights!

GGPViper
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2016, 2:17 pm

Mikah wrote:
My last Black Pigeon thread triggered moderators into deleting it, because I dared to suggest [censored I don't want to be banned just yet].

As I recall, it was deleted because:

PPR rules wrote:
Protected groups.
The site rules DO protect a few groups. So it is not acceptable to make posts that attack based on (a) gender, (b) race or (c) sexual orientation.
a) So creating sexist threads is not acceptable. It would be acceptable to discuss sexism itself however, for example regarding the glass ceiling in job promotions faced by many women or other social issues associated with sexism.
b) Creating threads attacking black people (or any other colour) is not acceptable. However, it is quite acceptable to discuss issues regarding racial tensions and racism itself. So there would be no problem debating why race riots occurred somewhere, but it would not be acceptable to say that a particular race smells bad or are stupid.
c) Creating threads referring to fa***ts or making offensive remarks about people who are gay, lesbian, queer, transgender etc is not acceptable. It is acceptable to debate sexuality itself and the reasons why some people are not heterosexual. It is also acceptable to talk about gay lifestyles and culture etc, though that is perhaps better done in the LGBT forum.

Source: viewtopic.php?t=204613

Mikah wrote:
I was also accused of being a rampant woman hater in the abortion thread.

... if it quacks like a duck...

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2016, 2:21 pm

GGPViper wrote:
... or a Foo bird ...

slenkar
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2016, 2:24 pm

ARE YOU KIDDING ME?

Mikah
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2016, 2:32 pm

Quote:

Hey, stop triggering me.

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2016, 2:39 pm

Mikah wrote:
Quote:

Hey, stop triggering me.

I sense a lot of duckaphobia here and it is making me uncomfortable.

There Are Four Lights!

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2016, 2:45 pm

Darmok wrote:
Mikah wrote:
Quote:
Hey, stop triggering me.
I sense a lot of duckaphobia here and it is making me uncomfortable.
So waddle you do about it? Anything that fits the bill, I suppose. But you could always wing it, instead. Just don't let yourself get down in the mouth of you quack up.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2016, 2:45 pm

The latest Oppressed Group: Duckphobics

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2016, 2:56 pm

I'm sick of all the cis-duck privilege around here and all the open harassment of trans-gooseism. I demand all the aggressors be banned.

There Are Four Lights!

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2016, 3:00 pm

Don't forget the Masculinization of swans and the Feminization of whooping cranes.

GGPViper
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2016, 3:02 pm