Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2017, 5:23 pm

Psychologists have apparently discovered creepiness as a research topic. :D

A case of the “heeby jeebies”: An examination of intuitive judgements of “creepiness”.
Watt, Margo C.; Maitland, Rebecca A.; Gallagher, Catherine E.
Canadian Journal of Behavioural Science / Revue canadienne des sciences du comportement, Vol 49(1), Jan 2017, 58-69

The present research examined “creepiness,” a commonly referenced but little understood construct. In Study 1, 185 undergraduates (74% women) provided qualitative data on the defining characteristics of “creepiness.” “Creepiness” was found to reside in the eyes, and was associated with men with ectomorphic-like bodies, with a dishevelled appearance, between 31 and 50 years of age. In Study 2, 48 students (71% women) rated black-and-white photographs of Caucasian male faces on a 7-point Likert-type scale for “creepiness,” trustworthiness, and attractiveness. Pictures included 15 neutral images from the Sterling University Psychological Image Collection, 15 images from America’s Most Wanted website, and 15 images rated most “creepy” in a pilot study. “Creepy” faces were perceived to be significantly less trustworthy, less attractive, and more “creepy” than the other 2 groups. There was a significant correlation between trustworthiness and attractiveness across all 3 groups, with between 25% and 58% of the variance in trustworthiness ratings explained by attractiveness. Results are discussed in terms of how judgments of “creepiness” are made, how “creepiness” may be less about physical peril and more about ambiguity of threat and violations of social norms, and implications for stigmatized populations such as the mentally ill.\

http://psycnet.apa.org/doi/10.1037/cbs0000066

There Are Four Lights!

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2017, 7:58 pm

Crap, I think I resemble some of that list. :oops:

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2017, 8:06 pm

"ambiguity of threat" is exactly the first thing i thought of when i saw this question (again). you find something creepy if you don't know if it will hurt you or not, - your fight or flight response isn't triggered in the same way a huge semi truck barreling towards you would.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

CarlM
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2020, 10:04 pm

I just watched a video which talks about the study linked to in this thread on creepiness: How to Appear Less Creepy | What is the Nature of Creepiness?

You can see this doc is no ASD expert, since he seems surprised anyone would be asking this question :roll:.

I find the trait of "thin" being creepy interesting. It doesn't surprise me but I'm sure why that would be. I am thin and have always find in difficult to gain weight.

Mr Reynholm
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2020, 11:49 am

It depends upon what various individuals think creepy is. Scott Adams once said; "Everybody is somebody's weirdo." I found that to be very liberating.