Famous people who hated their parents

Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Andreger
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2016, 4:46 pm

Are there examples of famous people who had very difficult relations with their parents, or even hated them lifelong?

I am looking especially for examples of 20-21 centuries outside show business - tv, movie music. Show business is not exactly what I need, and I frankly I found almost exclusively people from there.

My reason is simple - I want to find some role models.

Maybe some CEOs, politicians, inventors, famous preachers and so on? Now I have only Hitler from the above, he hated his father and probably didn't like mother that much. But there should be others. I heard Bill Clinton had abusive parents, but found no proofs.

pawelk1986
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2016, 5:01 pm

Andreger wrote:
Are there examples of famous people who had very difficult relations with their parents, or even hated them lifelong?

I am looking especially for examples of 20-21 centuries outside show business - tv, movie music. Show business is not exactly what I need, and I frankly I found almost exclusively people from there.

My reason is simple - I want to find some role models.

Maybe some CEOs, politicians, inventors, famous preachers and so on? Now I have only Hitler from the above, he hated his father and probably didn't like mother that much. But there should be others. I heard Bill Clinton had abusive parents, but found no proofs.

Hitler loved very much his mom, but hated his father.

I think also about Alfred Kinsey, he was american biologist and father of sexology, but he bad relationship with father who used to be very conservative Pastor, you should watch this movie

Kinsey (2004)

Yigeren
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2016, 5:03 pm

There are many celebrities who have had terrible parents. But those outside show business probably have kept their personal lives more to themselves. It makes sense, because an inventor or entrepreneur isn't going to want to let everyone else know his/her terrible family history. People are judgmental, and it probably would get in the way of success. It's best in those circumstances to keep the negative aspects of family history private.

With celebrities in the entertainment industry, people seem to enjoy hearing those kinds of stories, and aren't so judgmental.

But can you imagine a CEO or politician telling people, "I hate my family! They used to beat me everyday!"?

Andreger
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2016, 5:03 pm

pawelk1986 wrote:
Hitler loved very much his mom, but hated his father.

I think also about Alfred Kinsey, he was american biologist and father of sexology, but he bad relationship with father who used to be very conservative Pastor, you should watch this movie

Kinsey (2004)

Thank you, I will!

Andreger
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2016, 5:08 pm

Yigeren wrote:
There are many celebrities who have had terrible parents. But those outside show business probably have kept their personal lives more to themselves. It makes sense, because an inventor or entrepreneur isn't going to want to let everyone else know his/her terrible family history. People are judgmental, and it probably would get in the way of success. It's best in those circumstances to keep the negative aspects of family history private.

With celebrities in the entertainment industry, people seem to enjoy hearing those kinds of stories, and aren't so judgmental.

But can you imagine a CEO or politician telling people, "I hate my family! They used to beat me everyday!"?

We know a lot about top people, especially in politics, including their family flaws - like kids offending law or like that. And we can know even more about those of them who are already retired or dead, by journalists and biographers.

That is what I'm trying to find.

For now I only find even very controversial people, who didn't seem to care much about reputation, who nevertheless were supported by parents - obvious examples are Lenin and Stalin, especially former - his mother was regularly sending him money while he was in emigration in Europe, planning Communist revolution in Russia.

I want to find exactly opposite cases.

B19
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2016, 5:09 pm

It's unusually common for accomplished novelists to have had difficult, unloving, abusive or abandoning parents, and these tend to be the literary novelists. One that sprung to mind immediately was Jeanette Winterson, much acclaimed English author of "Oranges Are Not The Only Fruit", based on her childhood abuse at the hands of a pentacostalist adoptive mother and passive, compliant father. It won a lot of prizes and was adapted for TV. There are about ten other novels, nonfiction and a biography: "Why Be Happy When You Could Be Normal".

Andreger
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2016, 5:14 pm

B19 wrote:
It's unusually common for accomplished novelists to have had difficult, unloving, abusive or abandoning parents, and these tend to be the literary novelists. One that sprung to mind immediately was Jeanette Winterson, much acclaimed English author of "Oranges Are Not The Only Fruit", based on her childhood abuse at the hands of a pentacostalist adoptive mother and passive, compliant father. It won a lot of prizes and was adapted for TV. There are about ten other novels, nonfiction and a biography: "Why Be Happy When You Could Be Normal".

Of all writers I've heard only about Coelho, he said that his parents thought that he's mad when he told them he wants to be a writer. So Winterson is a second, though I never yet heard about her :-(

QuillAlba
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2016, 5:18 pm

The Menedez brothers are interesting.

Andreger
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2016, 5:23 pm

QuillAlba wrote:

"...who are known for their conviction in 1994, as a result of a much-publicized trial, for the shotgun murders of their wealthy parents" Wikipedia.

I'd prefer to find a bit more positive role models. If they weren't convinced for this, their example will be much more interesting :-)

justkillingtime
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2016, 5:27 pm

Tennessee Williams, writer, was afraid of his father.

Paul Cezanne, painter, had an "emotionally charged relationship" with his father but was dependent on him for money.

QuillAlba
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2016, 5:33 pm

Andreger wrote:
QuillAlba wrote:

"...who are known for their conviction in 1994, as a result of a much-publicized trial, for the shotgun murders of their wealthy parents" Wikipedia.

I'd prefer to find a bit more positive role models. If they weren't convinced for this, their example will be much more interesting :-)

Was a wee joke.

Harry Leslie Smith
Harry's Last Stand

look it up, order it, read it.
Will do more good than reading about killing parents.

Andreger
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2016, 5:52 pm

QuillAlba wrote:
Andreger wrote:
QuillAlba wrote:

Was a wee joke.

Harry Leslie Smith
Harry's Last Stand

look it up, order it, read it.
Will do more good than reading about killing parents.

Not a joke, I'm looking for successful people.

And what's wrong with this Smith? He seem to have good yet poor family.

QuillAlba
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2016, 5:55 pm

It's an amazing book.
Caused me to re-examine a lot of things in my life and it might do you some good.

It can't hurt.

Andreger
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2016, 5:59 pm

QuillAlba wrote:
It's an amazing book.
Caused me to re-examine a lot of things in my life and it might do you some good.

It can't hurt.

And what's it about? I'm now trying to read "Battle cry of freedom" about American Civil War, so don't have time for one more which is far from topics which concern me, even if it's really great one.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2016, 6:05 pm

I've heard that Isaac Newton was as bad as Eminem about badmouthing his Moma!

QuillAlba
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2016, 6:08 pm

Andreger wrote:
QuillAlba wrote:
It's an amazing book.

It can't hurt.

And what's it about? I'm now trying to read "Battle cry of freedom" about American Civil War, so don't have time for one more which is far from topics which concern me, even if it's really great one.

It's about his life and it's really good.

It's better than anything I've read in years for just making you think, rather than reading to kill time or fall asleep...or poo.