Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

raspberrypink
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Apr 2016, 7:54 am

How stupid an idea is it to do this? Last time I went to my GP she said if I feel I need help re: my suicidal ideation (like if I have a crisis... don't remember her exact words) to call Samaritans or go to A&E. I don't want to call Samaritans. I have some kind of hazy memory from emailing them before and it not being helpful but I can't remember any details. And I've used another online suicide hotline type thing in the past and it was kind of stupid. I also don't want to go to A&E for numerous reasons, perhaps the main one being that I'll feel like a bad person for wasting their time. I don't want to make a suicide attempt in order to get attention; I don't want to make my body less inhabitable for the sake of getting taken more seriously. If I'm going to kill myself I want to actually kill myself. And I don't completely want to do that, for numerous reasons. But I am in despair and I keep thinking about suicide and I feel desperate so I want someone to help somehow. Maybe I'll silly for expecting A&E to be able to help at all but I don't know what else to do? No mean comments please. :(

raspberrypink
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Apr 2016, 7:57 am

Oh, another thing I was going to say is I'm not sure how I'd communicate if I went there cos I can't necessarilly say 'I want to kill myself'. It depends on the situation/person. I might need to communicate with paper. But I don't know what would be expected of me as I've only been to A&E as a child and it wasn't a choice.

raspberrypink
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Apr 2016, 1:10 pm

Anyone?? :(

QuillAlba
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2016, 1:46 pm

I'm not sure where you are based, but there is usually a number for the mental health crisis team, much better than A&E at dealing with our problems. Have a wee online search and call them, they can advise you and may even help you if able.

raspberrypink
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Apr 2016, 3:00 pm

QuillAlba wrote:
I'm not sure where you are based, but there is usually a number for the mental health crisis team, much better than A&E at dealing with our problems. Have a wee online search and call them, they can advise you and may even help you if able.

I think you need a referral for that. And I hate going to the doctor, plus it takes weeks to get an appointment (could make an emergency one but even still, would probably be less efficient than going to A&E).

QuillAlba
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2016, 3:10 pm

Call NHS 111.

It's the non-emergency version of 999, they will be able to help you. Just be clear that you are seriously thinking about suicide and they will know what to do. I know you mention it's more thinking about it rather than actually doing it, but that is the next stage if you don't do something now.

raspberrypink
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Apr 2016, 3:16 pm

QuillAlba wrote:
Call NHS 111.

It's the non-emergency version of 999, they will be able to help you. Just be clear that you are seriously thinking about suicide and they will know what to do. I know you mention it's more thinking about it rather than actually doing it, but that is the next stage if you don't do something now.

Okay, thanks. I can try but I'm not good at phone calls. :(

QuillAlba
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2016, 3:21 pm

raspberrypink wrote:
QuillAlba wrote:
Call NHS 111.

Okay, thanks. I can try but I'm not good at phone calls. :(

Do or do not.

There is no try.

Yoda

Seriously, we are all cheering you on, you can do this.

Dataunit
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Jul 2016, 3:39 pm

When I was severely depressed - to the point that I felt I couldn't cope anymore - I found that lying down in a dark room, putting the quilt over my whole body helped and closing my eyes helped. Obviously, it doesn't cure the depression but lying down like that for hours can calm you down.

Make a YouTube channel and save all your favourite videos on there - watching your favourite videos is a good distraction for when you feel like you can't cope. They don't need to be comedy or positive stuff, just whatever interests you.

Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?
- Epicurus

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2016, 1:13 am

I felt guilty going to A & E for suicidal ideation.
I thought I was using up resources that could be used for people who were 'really' sick.
I even asked the nurse if I could sit on a chair so someone else could use the bed.
She refused and told me that my condition was just as life-threatening as anyone else's, which is true when you think about it.
If you need to go to A & E for your own safety, then please don't hesitate to do so.

Last edited by Raleigh on 19 Jul 2016, 4:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2016, 1:14 am

raspberrypink wrote:
Oh, another thing I was going to say is I'm not sure how I'd communicate if I went there cos I can't necessarilly say 'I want to kill myself'. It depends on the situation/person. I might need to communicate with paper. But I don't know what would be expected of me as I've only been to A&E as a child and it wasn't a choice.

Writing it down is fine.
Trust me.
I've had a great deal of experience with this.