Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Voxish
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

18 Apr 2016, 6:12 am

Hello all

So this is obviously my first post, so a little about me. i am from the North of England and have been working in a variety of roles working with children and adults on the autistic spectrum; Health and social care manager, training and then teaching for a while. I get very anxious now in front of large group so I can't do that anymore. I always new I was different, I bullied badly at school for almost the entire time I was there, I was interested in things the other kids were not and I just did not coping skills everyone else seemed to have to deal with play ground banter. My autism has been hiding in plain sight for 50 years. I think I knew 2 years ago, I have only recently come to terms that I am too on the spectrum, no longer other. I have a AQ score of 38 but do not have a diagnosis, I think I would like to have one formally although my wife is concerned about me picking up a label. I am currently doing a post grad in Autism and Aspergers, it was after meeting some of the speakers, and finding they were just like me, it was then the penny dropped.

So that's a bit about me. I don't like being around people if I can avoid it and don't do friends, the thought of the pub or joining clubs is just not on my radar. I was in an astronomy club for a while, I just used to stand about not knowing what to do with myself when I arrived so i stopped going. I find small talk stressful and always try to head for a safe subject I know something about. I interrupt and the time, I can't tell when its my turn. I get really anxious if I have too many demands placed upon me at the same time. If I have been bombarded at work I will often go to bed as soon as I get in to try to come down and will usually be there all night. I might do that for several days. I talk far to much if a subject interests me and too loudly too. I have obsessional interests in things which will take all my thoughts sometimes, fill my head and can't get them out. The astronomy thing has calmed down now after several years, before that it was a punk band, before that fly fishing, before that building cigar box guitars and now its second life, I am completely addicted to it and god knows how long it will last.

And I have gone on for long enough, sorry. That is the very first time I have attempted to write any of that down so please forgive the both barrels approach 8O

See you around I guess 8)

BBC: Radio 4

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2016, 7:19 am

Welcome to WrongPlanet.net!

An AQ score of 38 suggests that you are autistic. Are you planning to pursue a diagnosis? I don't know how freely U.K. diagnosticians disclose their patient's diagnoses, but, in the United States, it is frowned upon. When I was diagnosed, my diagnosticians made it clear that I could disclose to nobody or anybody if I chose to do so.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

Voxish
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

18 Apr 2016, 12:36 pm

Hi
Thanks for the reply. Yes I intend to to pursue a diagnosis, if for no other reason that it might mean I can be a little kinder to myself.

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2016, 12:41 pm

hi, voxish. welcome. besides school, what sorts of things do you like to do.

RoadRatt
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2016, 3:31 pm

Hey Voxish welcome. :sunny:

TheAP
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2016, 3:35 pm

Welcome to WP! It does sounds like you are autistic, and I'm sure you will find people who relate to you.

Voxish
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

18 Apr 2016, 4:47 pm

Hi all

Thanks for the replies, very much appreciated. I am certain I am autistic now. I have been to the doctors perhaps a dozen times in the last 20 years over anxiety difficulties. I just don't like being around people, it makes me feel uncomfortable, I don't know what to do, I just want to go home again as soon as we go out.

What am I interested in? Autism, its all I have I have has a lasting interest in for the last 15 years. You would have thought I might just have picked up on that wouldn't you? Well no, I didn't, I imagine there is a reason for that 8O

Voxish
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

18 Apr 2016, 4:50 pm

Sorry, what do I like to do? At the moment I spend every second I can on Second Life

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2016, 8:10 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet! :)