Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

aspieinaz
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

20 Apr 2016, 1:39 am

Hi, I tried to post this under the general autism discussion but got an error. Sorry if this is a repeated topic for some of you. Has anyone tried a weighted blanket to help improve sleep? If so, how did it go? What do you recommend? Thanks for helping educate me on this topic. I hope everyone has a great Wednesday!

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2016, 2:45 am

i've just heard about those.

the superman blanket imported with mexico i use is a heavy cloth, i find it's heavy enough to make me feel secure.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

Redblue
Butterfly
Butterfly

20 Apr 2016, 10:09 am

I have a weighted blanket and it does help me sleep better. I also use it when I get really anxious and cannot calm myself down. I would recommend them if you like a lot of blankets when sleeping. But they are very expensive so that is the down side.

hayrobo
Butterfly
Butterfly

20 Apr 2016, 10:20 am

I've heard of people seeing their own weighted blankets & filling them with rice, etc. to help with the cost-- does anyone have any experience with homemade weighted blankets?

SpacedOutAndSmiling
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

20 Apr 2016, 11:59 am

Quote:
Has anyone tried a weighted blanket to help improve sleep?

Yes, i first got a weighted blanket about 7 months ago.

Quote:
If so, how did it go?

I find it useful, sleeping in an enclosed space makes more of a difference, but i do enjoy the effect of the blanket. I go to bed under it every night and but normally push it off during the night too. I like the feeling a lot.

Quote:
What do you recommend?

I would recommend trying one, i would also recommend something like the Squease vest (http://www.squeasewear.com). Its like a weighted blanket in its effect, but its not go the same issues as trying to move with so much mass attached. (i wrote a review of it here: http://spacedoutandsmiling.com/reviews/ ... asewearcom)

I focus on being autistically happy and I write a website with techniques, reviews and guides. http://spacedoutandsmiling.com

AJisHere
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2016, 12:14 pm

I'd love to find some kind of weighted blanket that doesn't actually provide much warmth. I tend to overheat at night when the weather heats up because I want that weight on me but it's too hot under a heavy blanket.

animalcrackers
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2016, 9:19 pm

I sleep best when I sleep under a stack of blankets (3 to 5)....I can't do that in the summer, though, and have a lot of trouble sleeping. Someday I am going to make myself a weighted blanket.

Love transcends all.

ConceptuallyCurious
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Apr 2016, 7:01 pm

If you want something for sleeping that would squeeze, then I've seen these lyrca bed wraps. Unfortunately, I share my bed with my wife - but if I had a single bed (or even one in a spare room for time to myself) I would absolutely get one.

I'm trying to find something similar that works without a bed but haven't found quite what I want. I'm considering the lyrca body socks or resistance loops on the same website.

I have a weighted jacket that I love but I'd really like a compression vest too. The one on sensorydirect is affordable but not the most discreet. I'd really, really love a 'squeeze vest' but they're so expensive!

ADHD diagnosed in July 2016

Also "probable" dyspraxia/DCD and dyslexia.

Plus a smattering of mental health problems that have now been mostly resolved.

SpacedOutAndSmiling
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

24 Apr 2016, 10:46 am

AJisHere wrote:
I'd love to find some kind of weighted blanket that doesn't actually provide much warmth. I tend to overheat at night when the weather heats up because I want that weight on me but it's too hot under a heavy blanket.

This is why i like the pressure vest i have. It does not get as hot as the blanket.

I focus on being autistically happy and I write a website with techniques, reviews and guides. http://spacedoutandsmiling.com

SpacedOutAndSmiling
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

24 Apr 2016, 10:48 am

ConceptuallyCurious wrote:
If you want something for sleeping that would squeeze, then I've seen these lyrca bed wraps. Unfortunately, I share my bed with my wife - but if I had a single bed (or even one in a spare room for time to myself) I would absolutely get one.

I'm trying to find something similar that works without a bed but haven't found quite what I want. I'm considering the lyrca body socks or resistance loops on the same website.

I have a weighted jacket that I love but I'd really like a compression vest too. The one on sensorydirect is affordable but not the most discreet. I'd really, really love a 'squeeze vest' but they're so expensive!

They do trial rentals to see if they would help. They also have some second hand / used ones which are cheaper. I got a used one to save some money. Its been worth every penny i paid for it. My friends lent me the money after seeing the change it made.

slw1990
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2016, 11:02 pm

I've never hear of weighted blankets until last year. They sound like they might help with sleep because I like sleeping under blankets even when I'm not cold and wrapping the blankets around me helps me to relax.

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2016, 11:25 pm

slw1990 wrote:
I've never hear of weighted blankets until last year. They sound like they might help with sleep because I like sleeping under blankets even when I'm not cold and wrapping the blankets around me helps me to relax.

I would like to get a weighted blanket at some point but the ones I've seen advertised are very expensive. I've been piling a couple of heavy winter coats on the bed for a while, and that does seem to have a positive effect, so it's one way to give the idea a try.

There Are Four Lights!

kaiouti
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

25 Apr 2016, 8:17 am

hayrobo wrote:
I've heard of people seeing their own weighted blankets & filling them with rice, etc. to help with the cost-- does anyone have any experience with homemade weighted blankets?

ha ha for a second I thought you meant cooked rice! XD

artfulldodger
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 May 2016, 8:21 pm

I will awaken almost every hour during the night before I got my weighted blanket. It wasn't cheap, but worth every penny spent. If I do not get a solid 7-8 hours sleep, my ablity to make it thru a day at work without a meltdown or shut down is much lower. I got mine thru Mosaic blankets, they have a nice website. I split the differance on the recommended weight (5-10% of your body weight +2lbs). My blanket is 18lbs. My wife, who is NT, doesn't see how I can stand being under that weight. But for me its difference is between sleeping and not. I do not find it being to hot, even on summer nights. When I feel a shutdown coming on, something I am prone to in the evenings, I will take myself into bed and cocoon myself in my blanket. If its late enough I will just go to sleep, but if not, I will watch TV in the bedroom till I fall asleep. Mike

Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 59 of 200
You are very likely an Aspie