Page 2 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

SpacedOutAndSmiling
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

28 Apr 2016, 12:02 pm

I struggle with this stuff. At the moment I don't shop alone and I have a babysitter (Literally: http://spacedoutandsmiling.com/tips/how ... babysitter) who helps me to follow an evening routine.

Hopefully in the future I will find ways to do this stuff without so much support. But for now better to use support and keep my job / income than burn myself out again trying to do stuff I find so hard.

No one pays me to do my own shopping, someone will pay me to code. I Do the code and pay someone to do the shopping.

I focus on being autistically happy and I write a website with techniques, reviews and guides. http://spacedoutandsmiling.com

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2016, 12:08 pm

SpacedOutAndSmiling wrote:
I struggle with this stuff. At the moment I don't shop alone and I have a babysitter (Literally: http://spacedoutandsmiling.com/tips/how ... babysitter) who helps me to follow an evening routine.

Hopefully in the future I will find ways to do this stuff without so much support. But for now better to use support and keep my job / income than burn myself out again trying to do stuff I find so hard.

No one pays me to do my own shopping, someone will pay me to code. I Do the code and pay someone to do the shopping.

Congratulations, SpacedOut! This is truly brill. (everyone should go to your link and read your article)

It's similar to me employing a housekeeper (once a week, 4 hours) to clean and tidy up. Well worth the money, I would surely struggle if I tried to do it all.

SpacedOutAndSmiling
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

28 Apr 2016, 12:17 pm

Thanks for the kind words :) today's been a great example. Productive day working on a project at the autism hub, she's due to arrive very soon and will then have a relaxed evening unwinding before bed. Rather than getting in a horrible muddle and forgetting to eat or wash while my brain dissolves in anxiety.

Our long term plan is for me to get comfortable enough with her that she can take me to the park. I love the park but can't go alone (big roads, anxiety, stranger danger etc) so that will be an awesome achievement. *blush*

I focus on being autistically happy and I write a website with techniques, reviews and guides. http://spacedoutandsmiling.com

cavernio
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2016, 5:58 pm

SpacedOutAndSmiling wrote:

I wish I could get to such a point in my life. It's not even that different from what would have happened at points in time where things like room and board were common for single working people. I feel like I have so much I could offer intellectually in any number of fields, but I can't get to that point.

Poor motivation

aspieinaz
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

27 May 2016, 4:54 am

I have a huge problem with procrastination. Normal household cleaning never gets done unless I know someone is coming to visit. Then I rush around trying to clean and tidy up. I guess I really should make a list of chores that need to be done regularly. Grocery shopping is hard because of the overwhelming choices, music playing, the commotion of other people, kids crying, etc. In other words sensory overload. Plus I live at 5,000 feet but the place to shop is at over 7,000 feet, so the decreased oxygen makes me feel dizzy. Truth be told, if I didn't have a husband who did the shopping, I'd probably just starve.

questor
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2016, 1:45 pm

I've suffered with Executive Function Disorder (EFD) all my life. Now that I am older, it is made worse by my other health issues, which leave me too tired to do anything, even when I really want to do them. Some of my other health issues are lifelong co-morbids with my Asperger's, but others came along later on. My depression, acid stomach, IBS, and weak bladder control are lifelong. The hemerhoids, colonic inertia, sleep apnea, short sleep, bad knees, and bad back came along over time, as did my obesity, and my vascular problems. I have a number of other problems, but those are the main ones. The conditions that came along later on are mostly responsible for my chronic exhaustion. I have a fantasy of some day not being exhausted, and of being caught up on all of my chores and errands. Unfortunately, I will probably be dead long before that can happen. :(

Knofskia
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2017, 9:08 pm

btbnnyr wrote:
Alternatively, other people have motivation to act, but don't know how to do the task, as they can't plan the steps in their minds, or hold enough information in working memory required for the task, or keep track of changes during the steps to do the task without incident.

This is a better description of how I struggle, instead of a lack of motivation. :) However, since most normal, healthy people only ever struggle with a lack of motivation, THAT, and only that, is what they assume I struggle with. :roll: Then, they yell at me for not doing more to motivate myself even though, in the past, when I believed them and tried to motivate myself more, I still struggled. :evil: That hurt my self-esteem for most of my life. :cry:

Weak Emerging Social Communicator (The Social Thinking-­Social Communication Profile by Michelle Garcia Winner, Pamela Crooke and Stephanie Madrigal)

"I am silently correcting your grammar." :lol:

Here
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Jan 2017, 7:00 pm

Thank-you for bumping-up this discussion thread.

Just writing about our experiences, and boosting discussions on executive functioning in this forum can put us "ahead of the curve"; as writing about topics that are challenging to put to words, and difficult to discuss, and understand can "break the ice" so to speak!

From my own experience, it's easier to express myself in writing, than it is in trying to speak.

In addition to inheriting my mom's strong language skills, wisdom on the value of thoughtful news content, and instruction in writing, and communications from those awesome teachers in grammar school, and middle-school, becomes an advantage over a lifetime.

To practice a focus on putting difficult topics to words, and sharing these topics in this forum, with feedback can "in some small ways" begin curbing executive function difficulties.

Best,

Here
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Feb 2017, 12:51 pm

Here wrote:
Thank-you for bumping-up this discussion thread.

Just writing about our experiences, and boosting discussions on executive functioning in this forum can put us "ahead of the curve"; as writing about topics that are challenging to put to words, and difficult to discuss, and understand can "break the ice" so to speak!

From my own experience, it's easier to express myself in writing, than it is in trying to speak.

In addition to inheriting my mom's strong language skills, wisdom on the value of thoughtful news content, and instruction in writing, and communications from those awesome teachers in grammar school, and middle-school, becomes an advantage over a lifetime.

To practice a focus on putting difficult topics to words, and sharing these topics in this forum, with feedback can "in some small ways" begin curbing executive function difficulties.

Best,

ADDENDUM:

Related thread: 'Anyone Overcome Executive Functioning Problems?'
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=292531