Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Juggernaut
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2007, 3:25 pm

I have struggled with insomnia all my life. The very least it normally takes me to sleep is one hour, but usually its much more than that. I hate trying to sleep. I tried tylenol pm but it didnt work. Recently I began taking Melatonin. Melatonin is a natural hormone in your brain that makes you fall asleep. So because its natural I feel more comfortable taking it and it works amazingly. Sometimes If I take one melatonin and one tylenol pm I literally feel like I have a peice of my memory missing because I fall asleep so quickly (maybe 5 minutes) when I am so used to laying in bed for so long my whole life. Has anyone else tried Melatonin or had or know of problems with it. I haven't really seen much negative about it, its not addictive.

ahayes
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2007, 3:34 pm

you should avoid taking acetomenophen if you don't need it as it is pretty hard on your liver

There's a drug called sominex that works as a sleep aid too and doesn't have acetomenophen, it's actually the same thing as benedryl as both have 50mg doses of diphenhydramine.

TellerStar
Raven
Raven

29 Apr 2007, 3:56 pm

I tire myself out in the day. Go running, cycle, get fresh air. It all helps and then I sleep much better. Have a good routine before bed and gradually your body will learn that when you do the routine it starts to get sleepy. My routine involves having a wash, getting into night clothes, having a hot drink and snack, going on the internet for about 30mins, then reading for about 30 mins. I often also listen to audiobooks when I'm going to sleep, but only ones I already know the story of very well otherwise I have to concentrate too much and I won't fall asleep.

jimservo
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2007, 8:09 pm

I take seroquel although I really should take something else because it's tiring in the morning. I used to take 2 pills (100mg) but I awkwardly was able to move to 1 pill.

parts
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2007, 7:11 am

jimservo wrote:
I take seroquel although I really should take something else because it's tiring in the morning. I used to take 2 pills (100mg) but I awkwardly was able to move to 1 pill.

Seroquel didn't just make me tired in the morning it was an all day sot of thing like a really bad hangover. I have tried many different meds over the years and never got one that worked consistently over time. Melatonin seems to work as good as any and has no side effects on me. If it's a particularly bad night I will take a klonopin but it's best to talk to your doctor about it .

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2007, 8:57 am

I was having trouble sleeping at one point in my life. I decided that one night that I would take one of my dad's sleeping pills to see what happened. I went to bed at 9 and woke up at 8:45 the next morning.

Alternative
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2007, 2:16 pm

My Consultant Pediatrician put me on Melatonin.

It's worked, and it's great. :D

But, I don't need it as much now, as I'm on Prozac, which makes me tired anyway. :)

Flismflop
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2007, 9:01 pm

I wonder how well melatonin would work if you only used it as a last resort to fall asleep. Like only taking it if you are still awake 2 hours after going to bed.