Page 4 of 4 [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Alliekit
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2016, 6:30 am

Sabreclaw wrote:
Outrider wrote:
For some people, our depression is caused purely by loneliness and nothing else.

And the only inevitable answer to loneliness, is to actually find people to care for and people who care about you and to spend time with them and have fun with them.

I consider social interaction a need just as hunger or sleep might be.

Without social interaction one's mental and physical state deteriorates.

You can say 'social interaction isn't a need - you won't die without it' but for most people who don't have it, they eventually will decay to insanity.

I wholeheartedly agree with this. A few years back I decided I didn't need friends, so I spent a lot of time in isolation. And guess what? I developed f*****g depression and went from a high achiever to flunking my classes.

I was happy in the past, but I've suffered potentially irreparable damage from "finding happiness in myself" now being depressed and having social anxiety, self-esteem issues, body-image issues, a terrible sleeping pattern, nightmares- it's a mess.

All the success in the world is totally pointless if you've got nobody to share it with.

I get it I was there. I isolated myself completely for 4 years and had severe depression. I understand the need for social interaction what I meant was perhaps instead of going into a relationship perhaps it would be better to make friends and stuff.

Just in personal experience I made mistakes when I was extremely desperate for a relationship and ended up hurting myself in the process. Something I don't want anyone else to go through

Greys0n
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

27 Apr 2016, 9:27 am

if you don't want then why should you?

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2016, 11:45 am

Outrider They'll never get it or admit to getting it. They have to keep to the propaganda.

Also I don't love on my own. I rent s house right mom and sister.

Making male friends is 200 times Harding then getting a GF.

I've been for a le single for 15 years, 6 of which has been spent hearing from women how horrible I am for not being middle class.

Alliekit
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2016, 2:45 pm

sly279 wrote:
Outrider They'll never get it or admit to getting it. They have to keep to the propaganda.

I do believe I said I did get it. Because I have been in that exact position.

Outrider
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2016, 6:53 pm

The thing is, some of us value friendships and relationships equally, in that both, or either, would do us some good.

I think many N.T.'s tend to focus on finding friendships first and prioritize them as it's harder for them to get into a relationship than find friends or meet new people.

But for some of us aspies, finding friends is equally as difficult, so we may as well focus on finding either or both rather than one at a time.

And, if you've been there, doesn't that mean your relationship is what, at least partially, helped you get out of your deep depression and isolated loneliness?

Because, while a relationship won't solve your problems, just like making a new friend won't, it is the start on a path to further happiness, and only when you start at the beginning can you reach the end.

To have a happy, fulfilling social life, one friend who you rarely/infrequently see is the beginning, and although they might not have much of an affect on your happiness at the start, it will lead to bigger and better things - a friend for life, meeting their friends means more friends for you, meeting their family who also treat you well, etc.

Just as a casual relationship leads to bigger and better things - more friends, meeting their family, marriage, kids?

Having just one friend or one relationship is the key to kickstarting your path to a social life, not learning to be happy alone - that's counter-productive.

But of course, one should only enter friendships and relationships they are happy with - though I've already good at that.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2016, 6:59 pm

If you don't want to date, don't date. If people think that's not normal, that's their problem and not yours. You should never have to date unless you're ready.

JaneBuss
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

27 Apr 2016, 7:25 pm

If trying to date (and the attendant rejection) is making you miserable and exacerbating your depression, stop dating.

Alliekit
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2016, 7:56 pm

Outrider wrote:
The thing is, some of us value friendships and relationships equally, in that both, or either, would do us some good.

I think many N.T.'s tend to focus on finding friendships first and prioritize them as it's harder for them to get into a relationship than find friends or meet new people.

But for some of us aspies, finding friends is equally as difficult, so we may as well focus on finding either or both rather than one at a time.

And, if you've been there, doesn't that mean your relationship is what, at least partially, helped you get out of your deep depression and isolated loneliness?

Because, while a relationship won't solve your problems, just like making a new friend won't, it is the start on a path to further happiness, and only when you start at the beginning can you reach the end.

To have a happy, fulfilling social life, one friend who you rarely/infrequently see is the beginning, and although they might not have much of an affect on your happiness at the start, it will lead to bigger and better things - a friend for life, meeting their friends means more friends for you, meeting their family who also treat you well, etc.

Just as a casual relationship leads to bigger and better things - more friends, meeting their family, marriage, kids?

Having just one friend or one relationship is the key to kickstarting your path to a social life, not learning to be happy alone - that's counter-productive.

But of course, one should only enter friendships and relationships they are happy with - though I've already good at that.

I pulled myself out of it because I was desperate to follow my dream of becoming a research scientist. And I admit that the friends I made in uni helped me alot

I went through a stage of one night stands while searching for happiness in a relationship and ended up being used and left feeling empty. I agree that relationships can help but also finding yourself worthy of one is important to getting one in the first place. I just wanted to share my experience and mistakes which still bother me

We only accept the love we think we deserve. All I was suggesting was that sly should not think of himself as so unworthy

Outrider
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2016, 8:28 pm

Of course, I don't disagree with most of what you're saying and think you are providing good advice.

I was just trying to point out that 'friends helped a lot' part.

For some people, that 'alot' can mean the difference between having a happy life and miserable depression.

Being 90% happy but still feeling unfulfilled, if strong friendships is the 10%, then it certainly helps.

I remember hearing something in high school from a mental health professional that stuck with me.

It was so simple, but so meaningful - he remembers a story of this one fellow, who use to go play basketball with these other people.

These other people weren't good friends or anything, just acquiantances of the street, but they welcomed him warmly.

The depressed man said it made all the difference in his life - just having a place to go each week where he actually felt welcomed and people actually said hello to him.

I heard of stories of this all the time in high school.

My English teacher told me the story of when he was living and working at a school in a very scummy mining town full of rich snobby parents and their uptight brat children.

He was teaching this one kid, from a poor background. He lived next door or across the street to the boy, and would hear the parents fight, yell, all the time - clearly an abusive household. The boy had no friends due to his aggressive and rude behavior.

The kid was an absolute rat to my teacher, but my teacher never yelled at the kid and always treated the kid properly.

The last day they would ever see each other, the kid made this strange gift out of materials. It was poorly built and close to breaking apart, but anyway, the kid gave it to my teacher, and simply said these words: "Mr. X, you were the only person to ever speak to me nicely." and walked away.

So, one person can make a difference to another's life - I can change someoe's life for the better, and someone else can do the same for me.

Rather than us both being miserably lonely and sad?

I said this in another thread and I'll say it again - I could be sharing happiness with another person, making someone just as happy as they make me, and opening them up to new ideas and experiences. I could be contributing to someone else's life for the better, but instead, I'm not. What a waste of potential, for me, and for many others.

What's self-independence if you can only use it to make yourself happy? Just my thoughts.

Not everyone must be forced to be an altruist, just tha t some of us actually enjoy it.

I've noticed whenever I feel exrtemely lonely, I actually think of ways I want to make someone else's life better, whether that be through volunteering, donation, or just trying to cheer someone up and comfort someone who's feeing down.

If I can't be happy, might as well help t make sure someone else could be.

A relationship or friendship is good because then the happiness is mutual - for once.

Alliekit
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2016, 8:43 pm

Outrider wrote:
Of course, I don't disagree with most of what you're saying and think you are providing good advice.

I was just trying to point out that 'friends helped a lot' part.

For some people, that 'alot' can mean the difference between having a happy life and miserable depression.

Being 90% happy but still feeling unfulfilled, if strong friendships is the 10%, then it certainly helps.

I remember hearing something in high school from a mental health professional that stuck with me.

It was so simple, but so meaningful - he remembers a story of this one fellow, who use to go play basketball with these other people.

These other people weren't good friends or anything, just acquiantances of the street, but they welcomed him warmly.

The depressed man said it made all the difference in his life - just having a place to go each week where he actually felt welcomed and people actually said hello to him.

I heard of stories of this all the time in high school.

My English teacher told me the story of when he was living and working at a school in a very scummy mining town full of rich snobby parents and their uptight brat children.

He was teaching this one kid, from a poor background. He lived next door or across the street to the boy, and would hear the parents fight, yell, all the time - clearly an abusive household. The boy had no friends due to his aggressive and rude behavior.

The kid was an absolute rat to my teacher, but my teacher never yelled at the kid and always treated the kid properly.

The last day they would ever see each other, the kid made this strange gift out of materials. It was poorly built and close to breaking apart, but anyway, the kid gave it to my teacher, and simply said these words: "Mr. X, you were the only person to ever speak to me nicely." and walked away.

So, one person can make a difference to another's life - I can change someoe's life for the better, and someone else can do the same for me.

Rather than us both being miserably lonely and sad?

I said this in another thread and I'll say it again - I could be sharing happiness with another person, making someone just as happy as they make me, and opening them up to new ideas and experiences. I could be contributing to someone else's life for the better, but instead, I'm not. What a waste of potential, for me, and for many others.

What's self-independence if you can only use it to make yourself happy? Just my thoughts.

Not everyone must be forced to be an altruist, just tha t some of us actually enjoy it.

I've noticed whenever I feel exrtemely lonely, I actually think of ways I want to make someone else's life better, whether that be through volunteering, donation, or just trying to cheer someone up and comfort someone who's feeing down.

If I can't be happy, might as well help t make sure someone else could be.

A relationship or friendship is good because then the happiness is mutual - for once.

I agree happiness should be shared and I wish i could share my happiness with everyone if I can in some small way. Making people happy is fulfilling and one of the main reasons I wanted to become a scientist :)

Your way of dealing with your lonelieness is an amazing way to deal with it and is a credit to you as a person

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2016, 8:56 pm

Alliekit wrote:
Outrider wrote:

I pulled myself out of it because I was desperate to follow my dream of becoming a research scientist. And I admit that the friends I made in uni helped me alot

I went through a stage of one night stands while searching for happiness in a relationship and ended up being used and left feeling empty. I agree that relationships can help but also finding yourself worthy of one is important to getting one in the first place. I just wanted to share my experience and mistakes which still bother me

We only accept the love we think we deserve. All I was suggesting was that sly should not think of himself as so unworthy

No one deserves love that's entitlement thinking according to women here, if you were a man they'd be all over you calling you sexist.

I use to and kinda still think I deserve love but it's hard to keep thinking that when everyone s**ts on you saying you don't.

When you talk about waning love and women on wp ask well what do you bring to the table what do you Havel because men are just their income and objects or duties they can preform.

All I have to offer is my love, companionship, loyalty and fact I'll do everything I can to make them happy.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2016, 9:02 pm

I use to think that was all that was needed. After all it's what adults tell us growing up, it's what the movies and tv says and books.

Outrider
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2016, 2:02 am

Anyone who can contribute love positively to a relationship, or more broadly, anyone who can contribute in a positive manner to the world, deserves the opportunity to do so.

Entitlement is, to me, believing you deserve everything handed to you on a platter - money, happiness, women, etc. without making the effort.

I consider it different if you work hard to be a good person and in decent health, and have a perfectly-abled body, brain and hands, and are willing to go through the effort to achieve success.

This means if you want a relationship, you're willing to search for the right person for you, and once you find them, willing to do all you can to make their life better in whatever little ways you can, and asking they do the same.

Alliekit: Thank you. :)

See, some of us just have so much love and kindness to give, and need an outlet for that energy. I might find something to donate to today, in fact, because my posts have made me feel like it.

rdos
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2016, 2:10 am

sly279 wrote:
No one deserves love that's entitlement thinking according to women here, if you were a man they'd be all over you calling you sexist.

That's just rubbish. Love is not like status objects and alike, it's more like a basic need.

sly279 wrote:
I use to and kinda still think I deserve love but it's hard to keep thinking that when everyone s**ts on you saying you don't.

Then don't listen to them.

sly279 wrote:
When you talk about waning love and women on wp ask well what do you bring to the table what do you Havel because men are just their income and objects or duties they can preform.

If you don't want to build relationships based on needs and demands, then don't involve in that game. Not every woman views a relationship as a transaction.

sly279 wrote:
All I have to offer is my love, companionship, loyalty and fact I'll do everything I can to make them happy.

I think that goes a long way.