Imagine the USA trapped in an organisation like the EU

Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2016, 5:07 am

For Americans: this is a video from a UK Independence Party Member of the European Parliament (the EU parliament isn't a real parliament - it's more of a rubber-stamping chamber) called Jonathan Arnott. In the video, he tries to explain to you Americans what the equivalent of the EU would be like. Americans would never accept the erosion of sovereignty that your President and Hillary Clinton is asking the UK to submit to.

Love the bit at the end, which should be familiar to Americans too.

We shouldn't be subsidising French farmers or helping to fund the mansions of Romanian gypsies or child benefit going to Polish families, and it goes on and on and on.

We shouldn't be allowing foreign courts the right to extradite British citizens without proper evidence; we shouldn't be allowing a commission in another country to make our laws for us.

We need to be free of the EU.

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2016, 6:18 am

Obama & Clinton are left wingers.

Fundamental to their philosophies are that most people are idiots and make bad choices.

So, government entities are needed to make the "right" choices.

Basically, they think freedom is idiot-enabling.

ZenDen
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2016, 1:01 pm

Imagine The USA Trapped In An Organisation Like The EU

It's not all that hard to imagine. But fortunately we had the right people at the right time in our history that avoided the EU's unavoidable situation.

But it wasn't easy....if you'll briefly remember the 620,000 mostly young men who died in our Civil War. This number matches the number who died for the U.S. in WWI and WWII combined.

And we're still not perfect: The Federal Gov. is always trying to overstep it's bounds and encroach on States Rights. It's a never ending legislative struggle but nothing that compares to the E.U. fiasco. Personally I feel G.B. can do just fine without turning over partial control of their country to the united E.U..

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2016, 1:22 pm

ZenDen wrote:
And we're still not perfect: The Federal Gov. is always trying to overstep it's bounds and encroach on States Rights. It's a never ending legislative struggle but nothing that compares to the E.U. fiasco. Personally I feel G.B. can do just fine without turning over partial control of their country to the united E.U..

That is an apt point.

EU is federal in name only. It is really a centralised bureaucracy.

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2016, 1:44 pm

The United States are trapped in an organization like the EU -- we call it the federal government. :mrgreen:

There Are Four Lights!

BaalChatzaf
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2016, 1:58 pm

LoveNotHate wrote:

Fundamental to their philosophies are that most people are idiots and make bad choices.

They are both Statists. They believe the main engine of progress in the country is the government.

Hitler believed that. Mussolini believed that. Stalin believed that. Do you?

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2016, 3:07 pm

BaalChatzaf wrote:
They are both Statists. They believe the main engine of progress in the country is the government.

When gov. takes over parts of our lives there are winners and losers.

I think the net is a loss (more negative than positive).

So, no.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2016, 10:08 am

Its not a good analogy. The US is a continental sized country bigger than the entire EU. The UK is smaller than most Canadian provinces, and is about the same size as the sum of three average US states. So the US is already its own "European Union" without joining anything.

The_Joker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

26 Apr 2016, 10:11 am

*yawns* The United States was instrumental in the creation of the E.U.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2016, 11:26 am

naturalplastic wrote:
Its not a good analogy. The US is a continental sized country bigger than the entire EU. The UK is smaller than most Canadian provinces, and is about the same size as the sum of three average US states. So the US is already its own "European Union" without joining anything.

You forget, though, that the United States before it became that was in many ways homogenous, with the same language, a relatively similar culture, reasonably similar economies, and a demos there that wanted to become a republic. You didn't have the concept of trying to marry together completely different countries with (mostly) different languages, different ways of life, different democratic systems and ways of government, different economies, completely different national histories etc. In Europe, there is no real demos that states that people want to be European. Indeed, most people don't have much appetite for the EU, even if they vote for the status quo.

What you've got in the EU is an attempt to create a new supranation state via governmental fiat. The UK was never asked if they wanted to join the EU - they have only ever been asked if they want to leave (in 1975 and the pending referendum this year). Some countries were asked via referendum if they wanted to join - these have been divisive in every country that has held them.

The European Union despises democracy. When plans of theirs are rejected by the electorate, they force the electorate to vote again on much the same issue until they get the 'right' answer.

The United States would never tolerate the idea of a parliament making laws for them in another country.

To add to that, there is little desire in non-EU western and northern Europeans to join the EU. Iceland, Switzerland, Norway and Liechtenstein all want to stay out of it by large majorities in opinion polls held in these countries.

I believe there is a more democratic, more prosperous, freer new life waiting for us outside the EU and that's why I have voted UKIP ever since I was old enough to be able to vote and also why I will vote to Leave in the referendum in June.

As for the United States: it's more than a little ironic that people from a country forged because of a lack of democracy that they saw in being ruled by us asks us to submit to a lack of democracy by remaining in the EU.

ZenDen
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2016, 11:42 am

"As for the United States: it's more than a little ironic that people from a country forged because of a lack of democracy that they saw in being ruled by us asks us to submit to a lack of democracy by remaining in the EU." :D :D :D

Please try not to confuse the people of the United States of America with the buffoon you see before you.

Obama only speaks for special interest groups. He is trying to twist the presidency into something it was never intended to be in order (I believe) to feather his nest before leaving office, the way he has been doing recently and similar to the way the clintons (his heroes obviously) have done and continue to do.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2016, 11:59 am

ZenDen wrote:
"As for the United States: it's more than a little ironic that people from a country forged because of a lack of democracy that they saw in being ruled by us asks us to submit to a lack of democracy by remaining in the EU." :D :D :D

Please try not to confuse the people of the United States of America with the buffoon you see before you.

I thought you meant Jonathan Arnott then, rather than Obama.

Of course I understand that most Americans are rather keen on democracy, and many would like to see democracy restored to the UK.

BaalChatzaf
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2016, 1:53 pm

ZenDen wrote:

Obama only speaks for special interest groups. He is trying to twist the presidency into something it was never intended to be in order (I believe) to feather his nest before leaving office, the way he has been doing recently and similar to the way the clintons (his heroes obviously) have done and continue to do.

BaalChatzaf
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2016, 1:58 pm

Legally speaking the United States was -never- a Democracy. It was established as a Republic under the constitution of 1787 which we still live under (in amended form). The Founders were very suspicious of democracy and the method of electing the U.S. President is anything but Democratic. It was not until the administration of Andrew Jackson (around 1825) that voting laws were eased up so that white males who did not own property but were gainfully employed could vote. Women did not get the vote until 1920. And it took until 1965 before Black American (in the South) were assured access to the ballot box.

So the U.S. did not start out as Democracy, but became more Democratic over time.

AspE
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2016, 2:21 pm

LoveNotHate wrote:

It is. We need the rule of law, not perfect freedom. Freedom is often used to justify economic feudalism. I have no problem in principle with organizations designed to coordinate the laws of many nations with overlapping interests.

AspE
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2016, 2:23 pm

BaalChatzaf wrote:

Yes.