Do any of you have a hard time getting help?

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

existentialterror
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Apr 2016, 3:40 pm

It seems in this day and age, everything is DIY. I have a hard time with visual processing, and nowadays I can't get help doing basic things. Most stores sell products unassembled, with complicated instructions and you have to pay an arm and a leg to get it assembled.

Getting help for life's everyday problems is also proving equally impossible. No one wants to offer advice beyond their immediate job description. Most everything is either online or over the phone (I hate phones!) - so this highlights my difficulty in understanding and remembering verbal instructions.

For example, a lawyer offers legal help (obviously) - but often everyday problems require the help of numerous people. The problem is, I have to call one person to get one form of help. Usually I get pawned off to someone else who offers another kind of help.... But NO ONE is there to put it all together!! I am usually left, alone, to figure it out by myself - or deal with the offending party..... by myself!!

I hate that everything is telephone or online only - and people speak too fast for me to write it down legibly.... and can't even read my own handwriting!!

I wish someone could hold my hand and help me navigate life and its problems, because I am too disorganized and forgetful to escape life's numerous crises.... Sometimes I just want to give up :(

PS. The exception is that I have a wonderful therapist that I can count on , but usually when I'm in a crisis it is over the weekend

spinelli
Toucan
Toucan

28 Apr 2016, 6:07 pm

I have difficulty with oral directions.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2016, 6:18 pm

I know what you mean. Everyone is so pigeon holed now that you can't get proper help from anyone. It is so frustrating. And don't try to ask for help that you can't already get on your own. How many times have I called a company and asked for assistance on a product or a service and they just read to me the exact thing I already read on the box or whatever. Even at stores, people don't know their own jobs so it's not even worth asking for help.

I am sorry you are having such a hard time. I can only imagine how frustrating it must be to not be able to be helped with daily everyday things. That has to be really hard.

Wreck It Ralph

existentialterror
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Apr 2016, 6:28 pm

skibum wrote:
I know what you mean. Everyone is so pigeon holed now that you can't get proper help from anyone. It is so frustrating. And don't try to ask for help that you can't already get on your own. How many times have I called a company and asked for assistance on a product or a service and they just read to me the exact thing I already read on the box or whatever. Even at stores, people don't know their own jobs so it's not even worth asking for help.

I am sorry you are having such a hard time. I can only imagine how frustrating it must be to not be able to be helped with daily everyday things. That has to be really hard.

Thank you for your response... yes it is really hard.... It seems nowadays everyone is afraid of a lawsuit or conflict, or... "don't quote me on this" etc. I too experience the same frustration in stores. And so many help desks are outsourced...

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2016, 6:34 pm

Yeah, I wish people would just lighten up and not be so afraid to try to help. They might be amazed at how helpful they could be if they just made an effort. And people do appreciate the effort.

Wreck It Ralph

Knofskia
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2016, 8:19 pm

Yes. I have been trying to find someone to teach me how to do activities of daily living and how to manage my executive functioning issues. Anyone who tries to help just has me observe them or they just observe me. I need a structured lesson in order to learn anything. Why do you think that I did not learn it the first time growing up?

Weak Emerging Social Communicator (The Social Thinking-­Social Communication Profile by Michelle Garcia Winner, Pamela Crooke and Stephanie Madrigal)

"I am silently correcting your grammar." :lol:

existentialterror
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 May 2016, 1:49 pm

Knofskia wrote:
Yes. I have been trying to find someone to teach me how to do activities of daily living and how to manage my executive functioning issues. Anyone who tries to help just has me observe them or they just observe me. I need a structured lesson in order to learn anything. Why do you think that I did not learn it the first time growing up?

I know what you mean... I really need people to take the time to show me how to do things. People talk too fast, and they expect those of us with executive functioning issues to grasp things right away.

eggheadjr
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2016, 2:12 pm

Patience and helpfulness seem to be a lost art.

Everyone's too busy these days fiddling on their damn phone... 8O