No 92%  92%  [ 44 ]
Total votes : 48

ZenDen
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2016, 2:12 pm

HKHall wrote:
adifferentname wrote:
This is the root of all racism. Excluding only white people from the phrase "people of colour" is inherently divisive.

That is a very illogical statement to make on a web forum specifically geared towards providing a place for people of a given neurological background to congregate and meet. Is saying that we are neurologically divergent or within the spectrum divisive? I don't think so; it's talking about a palpable difference between two people. The same is going on when people talk about how racism effects a person of color.

The term "persons of color" excludes white people not because it seeks to exclude white people out of disgust or apathy; it excludes them because there are issue that white people just don't face...or, if they face these issues, they face them as drastically different rates then other persons. The categorization doesn't seek to exclude others, but to include all those people being affected by a given issue or series of issues.

If a woman talks about her inability to find a gynecologist and receive quality care as being a "women's issue", it's not because she seeks to exclude men; it's because the issue she is talking about is one that applies almost exclusively to women, as well as being an issue that many women experience in a similar fashion.

If a wheelchair bound person talks about their inability to find an entrance to a building they can use being a disability problem, they're not saying that able-bodied people should be allowed to use the building, or that any issue an able-bodied person has in the building are inherently unimportant; they're talking about an issue that they will have that an able-bodied person wouldn't have.

Same thing here; when they're talking about hiring biases against Persons of Color, or police biases against persons of color....they're excluding white people because these are biases taking a form that white people don't experience. If the conversation switched to one of classicism (i.e. people being judged on their upbringing/wealth/where they live/etc), then a poor white person in a trailer park would certainly be included in that discussion, in the same way a wealthy person of color that lived in a gated community would be excluded. Likewise, if the conversation becomes one of neurodivergence and social stigma, I join that conversation because my ethnic background isn't liable to have a great effect on that.

Hopefully that made sense.

It made sense, but don't you think a well-to-do person might be interested in a conversation that "switched to one of classicism?"

This person could surely have a different reason than "a poor white person in a trailer park," but how would that preclude someone from having an interest? Interest doesn't need to be direct.

But is the phrase "people of color" discriminatory against whites? I don't think I know any "white" people, although I know many that range from near-white to very brownish. So the phrase lumps ALL people who don't meet the qualification of "people of color" into another class, because their ancestors did not come from Asia, Africa, or Mexico (and points South).

Should the above be called discrimination if used to exclude someone from a conversation/Constitutional rights, or other public socio-economic function...???......possibly; depending on the situation it would certainly be possible.

In the same manner there are many people that visit this forum that would NOT be "people of a given neurological background" that could, and do, have an interest in what we do, although they may not be able to participate in a "first person" manner.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2016, 2:32 pm

Get Well, Eben. I mean that. Your health is much more important than a stupid discussion on an Internet board.

Don't call me dishonest, please. Unless you have evidence. I would never do that to you.

I might point out contradictions in what you're saying--but I would never call you dishonest.....unless you were blatantly lying to me. That's the honorable thing to do...not call somebody names.

ALL I DID WAS TO INFORM YOU THAT I HAVEN'T BEEN TREATED ALL THAT WELL BY THE POLICE, EITHER.

I never actually said that blacks and whites are treated equally by the police. Find the point where I supposedly said or implied that, please. And I will rebut it.

I hope you feel better soon.

HKHall
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Jul 2016, 6:02 pm

ZenDen, I'm going to have to take your response apart. Thank you, however, for responding to me in the same manner I spoke to you; it's nice to have an honest discussion about important issues without having to endure vitriol or acid. :D

ZenDen wrote:
It made sense, but don't you think a well-to-do person might be interested in a conversation that "switched to one of classicism?"

This person could surely have a different reason than "a poor white person in a trailer park," but how would that preclude someone from having an interest? Interest doesn't need to be direct.

Well, if we are talking about things from an angle of "I am interested in this subject matter, and I wish to effect this subject matter in some way"? There is nothing excluding you from having interest. The only thing you are truly excluded from is claiming that "interest" is the same as "personally relevant". For example: I am interested in seeing a cure for cancer....but I don't have cancer myself, nor am I a cancer survivor. Conversations around how cancer effects someone who suffers from some form of that are, by their nature, going to exclude me. Not because they seek to malign me or discount me, but because I know nothing about them...at least, not the way a cancer sufferer or survivor is going to know about them.

Cancer sufferers/survivors aren't going to exclude me (unless one of them is some sort of jerks, but jerks are everywhere so you run that risk where ever you are) from expressing interest and sympathy with their experiences, suffering, and issues. They're not going to reject me, all things being equal, from helping them with their difficulties. So we're talking about two different things.

Simply put, "interest" is not the same as "personally relevant"...and that's okay.

ZenDen wrote:
But is the phrase "people of color" discriminatory against whites? I don't think I know any "white" people, although I know many that range from near-white to very brownish. So the phrase lumps ALL people who don't meet the qualification of "people of color" into another class, because their ancestors did not come from Asia, Africa, or Mexico (and points South).

Hoo boy...a LOT to unpack here. So I'll try and give you a reader's digest version.

The long and short of it is that "White" is a modern invention. It didn't really exist, in any form until the last few centuries. At first, it was a way for aristocratic and affluent persons of a handful of European cultures to distinguish themselves from other cultures and ethnic background perceived as "less cultured" and "less dignified" and even "less human". Over time, it changed and morphed with the culture. So yeah...when you say "I don't think I know any 'white' people...'? YOU ARE CORRECT! Technically, none of us do...because "whiteness" is a relatively recent invention.

However....we are talking about how cultures and societies as a whole view the world. Your individual opinion, as well as my individual opinion, aren't really relevant factors. American culture and society, as a whole, treats Persons of Color (which we could LOOSELY define as "anyone perceived as not-predominantly European in ethnicity")differently then it treats people it perceives as White. Whether the term "White" means anything concrete isn't really as relevant as it should be.

And there are objective ways to confirm this bias. If you'd like, go and look up the incarceration rates for Black Males versus White Males. Then, compare those percentages versus census results; look up how much of the American population is a Black Male and how many are White Males. Discrepancies like this exist all over the place.

By the fact that you can look up population statistics by whether someone is "White" or "Black" shows us that these words DO mean something to the society we live in, even if those words mean nothing to any group of individuals.

ZenDen wrote:
Should the above be called discrimination if used to exclude someone from a conversation/Constitutional rights, or other public socio-economic function...???......possibly; depending on the situation it would certainly be possible.

As a White, Cisgendered, Heterosexual Male who hangs out with a lot of people who are....well...none of those things in some cases? I have never been excluded from a conversation on any topics related to social justice topics. So I'm not sure where this question comes from. It certainly doesn't represent my own, personal experiences. Is this something you have experienced, someone you know has experienced, or is this more of a hypothetical concern?

ZenDen wrote:
In the same manner there are many people that visit this forum that would NOT be "people of a given neurological background" that could, and do, have an interest in what we do, although they may not be able to participate in a "first person" manner.

Exactly my point, actually; we've called ourselves out and said "We are within the Autisic Spectrum. This is what we are; it's not all of us, but it is a part of us. Come in and learn about us and hang out or whatever; just don't be a jerk.". We don't have to discard labels to make ourselves approachable, because we still allow people to join conversations. In fact, discarding the labels would actually damage communication considerably...because it would take a lot longer to parse who has first hand knowledge and who does not.

"People of Color" is no more inherently a divisive term then "Neurological Divergent" or "Neurotypical".

adifferentname
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2016, 5:27 am

HKHall wrote:
adifferentname wrote:
This is the root of all racism. Excluding only white people from the phrase "people of colour" is inherently divisive.

That is a very illogical statement to make on a web forum specifically geared towards providing a place for people of a given neurological background to congregate and meet.

When you open with a conclusion like that, you can be certain I'll be hyper-critical should you fail to back it up.

Quote:
Is saying that we are neurologically divergent or within the spectrum divisive? I don't think so; it's talking about a palpable difference between two people.

When we use the convenient shortcut of 'neurotypical' vs 'everyone else', absolutely. Such would constitute an claim to 'special' status rather than 'different' status. "People of colour" serves only to separate the world into the categories of 'white' vs 'everyone else'. The phrase itself is intrinsically divisive - and, I contend, inherently racist.

Quote:
The same is going on when people talk about how racism effects a person of color.

If you've met one person with Autism...

It's truly staggering to me that people on the spectrum so frequently fail to see the spuriosity of identity politics. Perhaps this can be attributed to a ToM failing on my part.

Quote:
The term "persons of color" excludes white people not because it seeks to exclude white people out of disgust or apathy; it excludes them because there are issue that white people just don't face...or, if they face these issues, they face them as drastically different rates then other persons.

Do you not realise the logical inconsistency of the above sentence?

<The term "persons of color" excludes white people not because it seeks to exclude white people>
<there are issue that white people just don't face>
<[or] they face them as drastically different rates then other persons>

By stating all of the above (within a single sentence no less!) you have made a racist statement. You are promoting the notion that white people are categorically advantaged by nature of being white.

If you've met one white person, you've met one white person.

Also, you have suggested that the concept "people of color" has agency. Is this a deliberate bid to disassociate the phrase from the people who use it?

Quote:
The categorization doesn't seek to exclude others, but to include all those people being affected by a given issue or series of issues.

It very specifically excludes the possibility of white outliers existing within the parameters of the premise. I have already alluded to examples of this.

Quote:
If a woman talks about her inability to find a gynecologist and receive quality care as being a "women's issue", it's not because she seeks to exclude men; it's because the issue she is talking about is one that applies almost exclusively to women, as well as being an issue that many women experience in a similar fashion.

Apples and oranges.

Quote:
If a wheelchair bound person talks about their inability to find an entrance to a building they can use being a disability problem, they're not saying that able-bodied people should be allowed to use the building, or that any issue an able-bodied person has in the building are inherently unimportant; they're talking about an issue that they will have that an able-bodied person wouldn't have.

Followed by lemons. Try to stay on point, please. Having black skin is neither a disability nor is it resultant of sexual dimorphism.

Quote:
Same thing here; when they're talking about hiring biases against Persons of Color, or police biases against persons of color....they're excluding white people because these are biases taking a form that white people don't experience.

Really? There are no black police officers who discriminate against whites? They're universally above reproach? How about Hispanic employers? There are no white people who have had bad experiences with either?

How does your narrative hold up if we move beyond the confines of your US-centric perceptions to e.g. somewhere like Northern Ireland or South Africa? Here's a hypothetical for you. What understanding do you have of the experience of a white, British migrant to the US?

Quote:
If the conversation switched to one of classicism (i.e. people being judged on their upbringing/wealth/where they live/etc),

I'm going to assume you mean 'classism'.

Quote:
then a poor white person in a trailer park would certainly be included in that discussion, in the same way a wealthy person of color that lived in a gated community would be excluded.

Because the "person of color" is somehow considered classless when that's the metric we're using to categorise people? Why is it that you're suddenly okay with using generalisations to exclude people? You're being remarkably inconsistent.

Quote:
Likewise, if the conversation becomes one of neurodivergence and social stigma, I join that conversation because my ethnic background isn't liable to have a great effect on that.

Whereas I take part in any conversation that sparks my interest, whatever the reason, when participating in a public forum. I have a healthy distrust of one-size-fits-all solutions, especially those that necessarily exclude individuals or groups of individuals from the category "all". Of especial interest to me are those discussions which include ideas which are inherently incompatible with my own experiences and ideology. In the world where:

<there are issue that white people just don't face>
<[or] they face them as drastically different rates then other persons>

nobody suffers worse discrimination than the white outlier who is defined as non-existent.

Quote:
Hopefully that made sense.

That depends entirely on context, which I'd have to make assumptions about. As such, I'm inclined to decline to comment beyond this disclaimer.

As for that original conclusion from all the way back at the beginning of this post:

Quote:
That is a very illogical statement to make

Your understanding of the word "illogical" differs drastically from my own. I've discussed the areas in which I find your thinking to be negligent of the principles of sound reasoning - something which you neglected to do in support of your original proclamation. Perhaps you could address this in your reply? For clarity, here is the argument being offered:

If you categorise human beings (by virtually any metric) into two groups, one of which is considered 'default' or 'normal', you cultivate segregation and resentment. This effect is magnified drastically if you make the ill-considered decision to go a-politicking on the basis of said categorisations.

HKHall wrote:
"People of Color" is no more inherently a divisive term then "Neurological Divergent" or "Neurotypical".

You're literally arguing that separating things into different categories is not divisive.

HKHall
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 Jul 2016, 2:31 am

In my opinion, that entire response was one made in bad faith; I do not feel you were looking for truth, but that you were looking to be right.

For starters, the vast majority of you responses struck me as being meaningful because you didn't actually address my arguments as they where written. Rather, you seemed to purposely manipulate your own perspective in order to force them into fallacious states. If you want to nit-pick semantics, fair enough; congratulations, you used a dictionary. However the meaning of a word varies by the context of it's use. This is the basics of language.

For example...

adifferentname wrote:
When we use the convenient shortcut of 'neurotypical' vs 'everyone else', absolutely. Such would constitute an claim to 'special' status rather than 'different' status. "People of colour" serves only to separate the world into the categories of 'white' vs 'everyone else'. The phrase itself is intrinsically divisive - and, I contend, inherently racist.

Divisive can indeed mean "forming or expressing division or distribution"....but it ALSO can mean "creating dissension" ([url="http://www.dictionary.com/browse/divisive?s=t"]definition[/url]). It does not need to mean both at the same time every single time the word is used, and there is no reason to presume it does.....unless, of course, you wished to misrepresent me from the get go.

It's reasonable to think that; you certain engaged in a double standard from the jump. For example take the first quote....

adifferentname wrote:
When you open with a conclusion like that, you can be certain I'll be hyper-critical should you fail to back it up.

...and contrast that statement against the second quote.

adifferentname wrote:
It's truly staggering to me that people on the spectrum so frequently fail to see the spuriosity of identity politics

So...when someone else says a statement that you take issue with? It's exposed to a "hyper-critical" analysis...a form of analysis which you won't bother to use for your you own statements, where you take opinions and pass them off as fact in the smuggest, most condescending way possible. This is the most drastic example, but by no means isolated; you dismissed things as "apple and oranges" without actually citing your reason for feeling the situations are inherently incompatible. Again...this is your hyper-critical analysis; you're claiming you want to expose my statements to logical rigor...but that's not what happens; what actually happens is little more than saying "You're wrong because I said so".

You wanna call apples and oranges (and lemons :roll:)? Fine...but then you need to actually call it. If you are making the claim? Then it's on you to prove it, and your assertion that I'm wrong isn't actually proof. Making assertions you don't back up with meaningful facts or information is just noise.

Really though, if anything is proof of your intentions? This is...

Quote:
Quote:
If the conversation switched to one of classicism (i.e. people being judged on their upbringing/wealth/where they live/etc),

Passive aggressively getting on me over a typo? Real classy, dude. I mean, we could talk about how the word "racism" is being attached more towards circumstances where racial bigotry is enforced by someone with power. It would also be worth noting that acknowledging racist categorizations isn't the same as empowering racism, as the division would exist with or without out implicit acknowledgement. If the division exists without our implicit acknowledgement, then it continues to effect the world.

But if you're thinking I was trying to argue that dividing people into group wasn't actually dividing people into groups and that spelling errors have to be called out in a mocking fashion? If that's the way you want to go? Why bother responding to you; it's clear intellectual honesty has no value in this discussion..

adifferentname
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2016, 4:48 am

HKHall wrote:
In my opinion, that entire response was one made in bad faith; I do not feel you were looking for truth, but that you were looking to be right.

Your opinion is noted and summarily rejected. As the residing expert on the inner workings of my mind, I trust that you'll defer to my superior knowledge of such.

Quote:
For starters, the vast majority of you responses struck me as being meaningful because you didn't actually address my arguments as they where written. Rather, you seemed to purposely manipulate your own perspective in order to force them into fallacious states.

Your arguments were presented in full, responded to in their full context and with full sincerity. I must now insist that you refrain from second-guessing my motivations for dismantling your poorly-constructed arguments. Ad hominem does not constitute a rebuttal.

Quote:
If you want to nit-pick semantics, fair enough; congratulations, you used a dictionary. However the meaning of a word varies by the context of it's use. This is the basics of language.

Without so much as a hint of irony, you've accused me of semantic nit-pickery immediately prior to making a convoluted semantic argument. I can already tell how much fun this is going to be. :roll:

Quote:
For example...

adifferentname wrote:

Divisive can indeed mean "forming or expressing division or distribution"....but it ALSO can mean "creating dissension" ([url="http://www.dictionary.com/browse/divisive?s=t"]definition[/url]).

And it can ALSO mean both at the same time!

Quote:
It does not need to mean both at the same time every single time the word is used, and there is no reason to presume it does.....unless, of course, you wished to misrepresent me from the get go.

And in order to make your objection, you have necessarily made an arbitrary assumption about which version of the word I was using in the quoted text. Of course, this is made quite clear in my penultimate paragraph:

"If you categorise human beings (by virtually any metric) into two groups, one of which is considered 'default' or 'normal', you cultivate segregation and resentment."

Quote:
It's reasonable to think that; you certain engaged in a double standard from the jump.

In order for it to be 'reasonable' you would have to hand-wave away the double-standard I've just pointed out and pretend that I didn't explicitly refer to "segregation and resentment".

Quote:
For example take the first quote....

adifferentname wrote:

...and contrast that statement against the second quote.

adifferentname wrote:
It's truly staggering to me that people on the spectrum so frequently fail to see the spuriosity of identity politics

So...when someone else says a statement that you take issue with? It's exposed to a "hyper-critical" analysis

No. When one accuses me of being "illogical" without actually providing a supporting argument, I will be hyper-critical of said lack. I couldn't have put it more plainly. The persecution narrative you're attempting to spin is, however, delightful.

Quote:
...a form of analysis which you won't bother to use for your you own statements, where you take opinions and pass them off as fact in the smuggest, most condescending way possible.

As opposed to proffering unsolicited advice regarding rudimentary aspects of the English language?

Quote:
This is the most drastic example, but by no means isolated; you dismissed things as "apple and oranges" without actually citing your reason for feeling the situations are inherently incompatible.

Except for the part where I pointed out that: "Having black skin is neither a disability nor is it resultant of sexual dimorphism.". You may well be of the opinion that this requires further elaboration, but my reason was most certainly stated.

Quote:
Again...this is your hyper-critical analysis

Again, this is a poorly-constructed persecution narrative.

Quote:
you're claiming you want to expose my statements to logical rigor.

Whilst I did, indeed, expose your statements to logical rigor, I made no such claim regarding my desire to do so.

Quote:
..but that's not what happens; what actually happens is little more than saying "You're wrong because I said so".

Thus far, your post has been a stumbling, blustering mess of ad hominem and projection, sans substance. You have made multiple arguments that would require an intimate understanding of my conscious mind in order to qualify and demonstrated the folly of doing so.

Further, I have provided an example of you either wilfully or negligently quote-mining, excluding - as you did - my rationale for excluding the oranges and lemons, whilst claiming its non-existence.

Quote:
You wanna call apples and oranges (and lemons :roll:)? Fine...but then you need to actually call it. If you are making the claim? Then it's on you to prove it,

You require proof that having black skin is not a disability? That's patently absurd.

Quote:
and your assertion that I'm wrong isn't actually proof.

My entire post was a response to your initial assertion that my post was "illogical". My counter-assertion is that you failed to support that assertion.

Quote:
Making assertions you don't back up with meaningful facts or information is just noise.

And just like that, we're back to projecting.

Quote:
Really though, if anything is proof of your intentions? This is...

Quote:
Quote:

Passive aggressively getting on me over a typo?

Passive aggressive? I overtly poked fun at a malapropism which tickled me. But, of course, you're anxious to cleave to that narrative.

Quote:
Real classy, dude.

Thanks! But I neither requested nor require your affirmation.

Quote:
I mean, we could talk about how the word "racism" is being attached more towards circumstances where racial bigotry is enforced by someone with power. It would also be worth noting that acknowledging racist categorizations isn't the same as empowering racism, as the division would exist with or without out implicit acknowledgement. If the division exists without our implicit acknowledgement, then it continues to effect the world.

We could certainly discuss whether or not such an assertion has any merit, but I'd need assurances that your responses won't be rambling diatribes devoted to a vain attempt to misrepresent my motivations as part of an amateurish character assassination.

Quote:
But if you're thinking I was trying to argue that dividing people into group wasn't actually dividing people into groups

Covered that already. See "segregation and resentment".

Quote:
and that spelling errors have to be called out in a mocking fashion?

You mean your malapropism? Ironically enough, such erroneous substitutions are classically considered to be humorous. Were you actually capable of reading my mind, you would a: already be aware of this and b: already therefore understand why it tickled me so.

Quote:
If that's the way you want to go?

This is the closest you've got to actually asking me about my thought-processes rather than making blanket assumptions about them, trying to crowbar them into your narrative and painting me as your personal boogie-man. Telling, no?

Quote:
Why bother responding to you;

Perhaps you're inexplicably infatuated with me. Or perhaps your ego compels you to do so. I rather think that question would best be pondered in solitude.

Quote:
it's clear intellectual honesty has no value in this discussion..

Au contraire! Though I have my doubts about the local rates of exchange.

ZenDen
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2016, 11:52 am

HKHall wrote:
ZenDen, I'm going to have to take your response apart. Thank you, however, for responding to me in the same manner I spoke to you; it's nice to have an honest discussion about important issues without having to endure vitriol or acid. :D

ZenDen wrote:

Well, if we are talking about things from an angle of "I am interested in this subject matter, and I wish to effect this subject matter in some way"? There is nothing excluding you from having interest. The only thing you are truly excluded from is claiming that "interest" is the same as "personally relevant". For example: I am interested in seeing a cure for cancer....but I don't have cancer myself, nor am I a cancer survivor. Conversations around how cancer effects someone who suffers from some form of that are, by their nature, going to exclude me. Not because they seek to malign me or discount me, but because I know nothing about them...at least, not the way a cancer sufferer or survivor is going to know about them.

Cancer sufferers/survivors aren't going to exclude me (unless one of them is some sort of jerks, but jerks are everywhere so you run that risk where ever you are) from expressing interest and sympathy with their experiences, suffering, and issues. They're not going to reject me, all things being equal, from helping them with their difficulties. So we're talking about two different things.

Simply put, "interest" is not the same as "personally relevant"...and that's okay.

ZenDen wrote:

Hoo boy...a LOT to unpack here. So I'll try and give you a reader's digest version.

The long and short of it is that "White" is a modern invention. It didn't really exist, in any form until the last few centuries. At first, it was a way for aristocratic and affluent persons of a handful of European cultures to distinguish themselves from other cultures and ethnic background perceived as "less cultured" and "less dignified" and even "less human". Over time, it changed and morphed with the culture. So yeah...when you say "I don't think I know any 'white' people...'? YOU ARE CORRECT! Technically, none of us do...because "whiteness" is a relatively recent invention.

However....we are talking about how cultures and societies as a whole view the world. Your individual opinion, as well as my individual opinion, aren't really relevant factors. American culture and society, as a whole, treats Persons of Color (which we could LOOSELY define as "anyone perceived as not-predominantly European in ethnicity")differently then it treats people it perceives as White. Whether the term "White" means anything concrete isn't really as relevant as it should be.

And there are objective ways to confirm this bias. If you'd like, go and look up the incarceration rates for Black Males versus White Males. Then, compare those percentages versus census results; look up how much of the American population is a Black Male and how many are White Males. Discrepancies like this exist all over the place.

By the fact that you can look up population statistics by whether someone is "White" or "Black" shows us that these words DO mean something to the society we live in, even if those words mean nothing to any group of individuals.

ZenDen wrote:

As a White, Cisgendered, Heterosexual Male who hangs out with a lot of people who are....well...none of those things in some cases? I have never been excluded from a conversation on any topics related to social justice topics. So I'm not sure where this question comes from. It certainly doesn't represent my own, personal experiences. Is this something you have experienced, someone you know has experienced, or is this more of a hypothetical concern?

ZenDen wrote:

Exactly my point, actually; we've called ourselves out and said "We are within the Autisic Spectrum. This is what we are; it's not all of us, but it is a part of us. Come in and learn about us and hang out or whatever; just don't be a jerk.". We don't have to discard labels to make ourselves approachable, because we still allow people to join conversations. In fact, discarding the labels would actually damage communication considerably...because it would take a lot longer to parse who has first hand knowledge and who does not.

Hi HK HALL, You mentioned: " I'm going to have to take your response apart." I apologize for that :( I do tend to "pack" things. It stems from learning the word "elegant" in mathematics (or my interpretation) which seeks to use few words and concentrates on information in a sometimes unique, but easily used form.
P.S. I sometimes use "vitriol" to express a point...please don't be offended if this happens...it's never personal.

You noted: "Simply put, "interest" is not the same as "personally relevant"...and that's okay.
But "interest" is NOT the term I would use in the case (for example) of a wife that has cancer...or son or daughter...etc.
In this case you are 100% wrong I am afraid. It's just that there are many reasons why these issues WOULD be "personally relevant;" I'm sure you would agree with this point.

A little story: My younger brother marched with King in Selma. After the marches the "white" people were told their assistance was no longer necessary and they must leave (hurt my little brother deeply).

During the '68 convention the NAACP was called on for support...and they watched and did nothing while it went down.

During the "sit in" protests against Wall Street the same situation occurred.

And yet I remember the two whites who were killed and buried along with their black brother because they tried to help black people. Even today you can see white people marching in the streets for black equality....sometimes even when there are no black people present.

I think the ruling majority of the NAACP is discriminatory, in a strange "don't forget how we were humiliated" kind of way...still containing resentment against ALL non-certifiably black people.

This is what makes people argue that the marching phrase should be: ALL LIVES MATTER (but the BLM isn't having any).

What you propound can create further segregation of autistic people because:

You say: "'People of Color' is no more inherently a divisive term then 'Neurological Divergent' or 'Neurotypical.'"

If "people of Color" is meant to exclude people of dark skins of other ethnicities (and as I've pointed out, and you confirmed, there are dark skinned people in all races), then it's called a divisive term, in the same way people use other terms to EXCLUDE people. You see it's all about excluding people....any such effort will create divisiveness. I'm sure you must agree.

Your particular approach on "who should be in this forum" certainly sounds condescending: " Come in and learn about us and hang out or whatever; just don't be a jerk.......REALLY?